Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
8 month old dobe with one floppy ear after crop at 13 weeks. Been posting fiathfully since. Any suggestions? Anyone done permastay? What about a couple of stirches to back of ear?

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Mike if you pinch the skin on the back of the ear does the ear stand??? If so the first thing I would tray is an inverted T with a slit across the top of the head at the base of the ear and then a stright line up the middle about 2 inches. Have the vet take out the excess skin and stitch it back together - this should work if the cartilage is not broken. If it is broken then it will have to be repaired along with the above.

I just had one done for a family and it ws very successful.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
First - welcome to DT!

IMO 8 months is too young to give up. It is not uncommon for ear(s) to flop during the teething process. Unless a knowledgeable ear crop vet can tell you definitively the cartilage is broken, you just need to keep posting. I posted my boy until he was 13 months, and many others will tell you they posted up to a year and even longer.

If you can post some pictures, that would be helpful.

·
Dobes stole my heart <3
3,418 Posts
I have a girl with one floppy ear that I posted til she was 9 months. I stopped posting because she kept having reactions to everything we used to post her with. She got an infection during posting, and had to have it down for 10 days, we started posting again and it was standing at 7 months, then we had her spayed and after that it flopped. I started posting again until 9 months and it just wouldnt stand. with all the small sores inside and out of her ear I stopped posting, she had gone through enough and she isnt being shown so I left it.

Reactions: michaelpetie
1 - 6 of 6 Posts