Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found some papers that the breeder (back-yard-breeder) gave us for our blue dobie (Kilo). I has the Sire and Dam's names and AKC #'s (AKC KENNEL CLUB) listed. Just wondering If anyone was able to help trace back his bloodline if I provided the info, who knows, he may be related to some members on here:

Kilo D.O.B 08-11-2006

Breeder Litter Owner: Mary Lou & John Mcaffee
Location of breeder: Braddock, Pa (pittsburgh)
Breed: doberman pinscher

Sire: BRIARWOOD GENERAL LEE(supposedly from Ohio)
WS00170206 (11-06)

Dam: HEADLEE'S NICKE BLUE
WZ00645207 (11-06)

Any help or info would be appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,064 Posts
Headlee's Nicke Blue is Z listed. There seems to be a few Headlee Z listed dogs. See the DPCA site. I don't see where you can find the Headlee people.

Briarwood Dobermans is in Ohio. They can provide you with the pedigree of the sire. http://briarwood.hypermart.net/
 
  • Like
Reactions: lemon

·
Sea Hag
Joined
·
12,933 Posts
DobeMom616 said:
Headlee's Nicke Blue is Z listed. There seems to be a few Headlee Z listed dogs. See the DPCA site. I don't see where you can find the Headlee people.
I'm the one who receives the z list updates for the DPCA from the AKC..there's nothing in the information we receive that would help in tracking down the breeder. Basically what we get is the registration number, the registered name and the color of the dog.

The OP may not know what we're talking about as far as z lists, so thought I'd explain that a little for them. The AKC has a tracking sytem in place so that doberman breeders can identify all potential carriers of the undesirable albino trait. All dogs that trace back to the first registered albino doberman carry a "z" as the second letter in their registration number. The DPCA has maintained a list of the dogs who are part of this tracking system for about 10 years now. This is due to the fact the z tracking system wasn't made retroactive when it went into effect. So that's the z list, dogs who carry the z in their registration number are called z factored.

Your dog may or may not actually carry this trait, without a dna test there's no way to know for sure without doing a test breeding with a known carrier or an albino. Albinism is considered a deleterious trait in the doberman (and in virtually every other breed or species) so it's recommended that all potential carriers be spayed/neutered.

BTW..if you have a registration number for Kilo, you can order a certified pedigree (either 4 or 5 generations) online from the AKC store, those are available immediately. Or you can order a hard copy of the pedigree that they'll mail to you. Or you could order a pedigree for each of the parents, since their registration numbers are provided. Go to www.akc.org , then click on "online store".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Murreydobe said:
I'm the one who receives the z list updates for the DPCA from the AKC..there's nothing in the information we receive that would help in tracking down the breeder. Basically what we get is the registration number, the registered name and the color of the dog.

The OP may not know what we're talking about as far as z lists, so thought I'd explain that a little for them. The AKC has a tracking sytem in place so that doberman breeders can identify all potential carriers of the undesirable albino trait. All dogs that trace back to the first registered albino doberman carry a "z" as the second letter in their registration number. The DPCA has maintained a list of the dogs who are part of this tracking system for about 10 years now. This is due to the fact the z tracking system wasn't made retroactive when it went into effect. So that's the z list, dogs who carry the z in their registration number are called z factored.

Your dog may or may not actually carry this trait, without a dna test there's no way to know for sure without doing a test breeding with a known carrier or an albino. Albinism is considered a deleterious trait in the doberman (and in virtually every other breed or species) so it's recommended that all potential carriers be spayed/neutered.

BTW..if you have a registration number for Kilo, you can order a certified pedigree (either 4 or 5 generations) online from the AKC store, those are available immediately. Or you can order a hard copy of the pedigree that they'll mail to you. Or you could order a pedigree for each of the parents, since their registration numbers are provided. Go to www.akc.org , then click on "online store".
So would the Z factor explain why Kilo is blue and rust as both parents are black and rust. There was a liter of 6 or 7 and of all of them 1 male was black and rust and 1 female was black and rust, the rest were all blue and rust.
 

·
Sea Hag
Joined
·
12,933 Posts
jeromejenkins said:
So would the Z factor explain why Kilo is blue and rust as both parents are black and rust. There was a liter of 6 or 7 and of all of them 1 male was black and rust and 1 female was black and rust, the rest were all blue and rust.
No. Your puppy is blue and rust because both of the parents carried the dilution gene. That gene dilutes black to blue and red to fawn. It's a different gene than the one that causes albino dobermans.

Dilution is a naturally occurring gene that's been present in the breed from the very beginning. Albinism is dobermans is the result of a genetic mutation, and has only been recorded in the doberman since the late 1970's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
99 Posts
Blackdog said:
Here's the Briarwood Dog pedigree
I know this dog's brother (the show pic of the litter) - he's here in Cincinnati. He's.... ummmm.... not an attractive dog.
for some reason that last part made me laugh uncontrollably....did I mention that i'm at work lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
I just found some papers that the breeder (back-yard-breeder) gave us for our blue dobie (Kilo). I has the Sire and Dam's names and AKC #'s (AKC KENNEL CLUB) listed. Just wondering If anyone was able to help trace back his bloodline if I provided the info, who knows, he may be related to some members on here:

Kilo D.O.B 08-11-2006

Breeder Litter Owner: Mary Lou & John Mcaffee
Location of breeder: Braddock, Pa (Pittsburgh)
Breed: doberman pinscher

Sire: BRIARWOOD GENERAL LEE(supposedly from Ohio)
WS00170206 (11-06)

Dam: HEADLEE'S NICKE BLUE
WZ00645207 (11-06)

Any help or info would be appreciated.
That's the sire and dam of my doberman. (Toki Thor). He was born October 13, 2007.
 

·
Holier Than Now
Joined
·
22,475 Posts
Interesting that a Briarwood stud was used on a z factor bitch.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,262 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,107 Posts
Yeah, I've never known a reputable breeder to condone that sort of breeding. Maybe someone has an explanation?
 

·
joie de vivre
Joined
·
11,304 Posts
Interesting that a Briarwood stud was used on a z factor bitch.
I find it perfectly typical for a Briarwood dog.

That's a pretty typical Briarwood pedigree, too. Only 4 titled bitches in 4 generations and 3 of them are in the 4th generation. Uh, how is that "bettering the breed"? I'd like to hear anyone try to explain how that kind of breeding program is doing anything to improve the breed when it culminates in a dog being bred to a BYB's Z-factored bitch.

I guess I shouldn't say "culminate"; that would imply the breeding were the climactic end...I highly doubt its the end of those type breedings involving Briarwood dogs at all.

Yeah, I've never known a reputable breeder to condone that sort of breeding. Maybe someone has an explanation?
*ahem*

This is a fine example of how a "reputable" breeder is not at all necessarily an "ethical" one. Reputable just means you're well known. Think of it as being popular.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Apparently more than once too, so not an "accident"...Though do we know who actually owns the Briarwood dog?
Apparently, the BYB from Braddock, PA owns the sire and dam. Thats where my grandson bought 2 puppies from in 2007. I have one (Toki). I don't know where "Jenco" the other puppy ended up. My grandson was forced to move and wasn't able to find a house where dogs were allowed.
I also heard the "Briarwood General Lee" recently died. I have been unable to get a hold of the BYB. For that matter, i don't know he's a BYB or a "reputable" professional breeder.
 

·
Holier Than Now
Joined
·
22,475 Posts
...For that matter, i don't know he's a BYB or a "reputable" professional breeder.

Oh, that's easily answered--if he's breeding Z factored dogs, he's not ethical.
 
  • Like
Reactions: DoodleDobe

·
_______
Joined
·
5,102 Posts
I've seen two too many great dane heads w/that kennel name attached to it.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top