Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
I have a Doberman puppy named Zara who is about 10 weeks old now. I picked her up from the breeder on the same day she got her ears cropped, and she has recently got her stitches removed. Her ears seem to have healed fine! We have attempted to post them, but every time we do, she manages to get them out. We are using the tampon method, and my dad cuts the cotton part thinner and more angled so it will fit better in her ears. We have put alot of tape around in hopes of getting it to stay, and have used double sided tape on the bottom half that goes into her ears. One stayed in for a few hours, but once again, they are now both back out, as she shakes her head alot when playing and walking. I attempted to contact the breeder but they have not gotten back to me.

I was wondering if that would significantly ruin the process of posting (if the bottom part is hanging out while the rest of the ear is still taped)? Is there anything I can use to get it to stay in??? I am conflicted about using a type of skin bond, although if it is safe, I would be willing to try it. Would eyelash glue work?

This is my first dog and I have done a lot of research and watched many videos but it just seems we can't find the proper spot to put it in. Everybody says that if it's in the right spot, it shouldn't come out. Where is that spot?? I am in the Hamilton, Ontario area, if anybody knows of anybody around here or close by that is familiar with posting ears. I've called just about every vet clinic in the area and nobody knows what to do, and I am getting really frustrated and hopeless! :confused: Thanks in advance for your answers!

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
is your breeder local enough to help you?

the trick i used that worked best: i would GENTLY "screw" the post in to the base of the ear. this does not damage the ear canal, and it stabilizes the post.

·
Registered
4 Posts
yea i had the same problem and i screwed it in back and forth and i would pull his ear up tight to make sure it wasin now they stay inand they get used to it fairly quickly

·
Registered
42 Posts
I live in Halton Hills (just north of Oakville). If you are in the GTA area ... and would like help ... I would gladly do so. Just let me know.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you to everyone who responded. We have attempted twisting the post into her ears,and also taping from under her chin up around her ears. She looks silly, but it works for longer than our past attempts. Hoping with a little more practice, this will eventually work! I really don't want to screw this up :(

·
Registered
397 Posts
Also what type of tape are you using? I found that Johnson and Johnson Zonas tape works the best for us (we tried shoppers drug mart medical tape and it was horrible). You can get it from Pass Bracing in Waterloo either instore or online.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Reactions: kirkandana

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
We left our puppies ears un-posted for 5 straight days, at 10 weeks young to heal properly.
- in the grand scheme of things, doesn't set the posting process back much

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
FYI kmct,

Wife ordered materials from NATURE'S FARMACY (770.893.1222):
a) ZONAS Porous Tape by Johnson&Johnson - 1 in. x 10 yds./roll (in white)
b) PetFlex FLEXIBLE COHESIVE BANDAGE - 4" wide rolls were on sale (assorted colors & patterns), so we cut strips to size
(Note - not tight when wrapping, ear tips need blood flow)

Plus, Duck Tape & 5/8" diameter Foam Backer Rod for young puppy, 7/8" diameter in latter stages...hardware store supplies.
- cut the backer rod off longer than needed
- wrap foam with duck tape to stiffen it first
- wrap the Zonus tape around the duck tape sticky side down & a second wrap with sticky side up / this helps keeps the foam inside the ear
- the stretchy PetFlex tape goes on last, loose enough as not to impede ear circulation

^^^^ We found both our last two pups liked to shake their heads until a tampon flew out. The new posting materials above, worked sweet.
Example on Kelly, over time we aborted the tape bridge method...as alert ears started to tip in some...soon problem solved:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to Kayree for the offer! I am just using medical tape we had at home, not sure what brand. It is pretty sticky and I think would work decently if she stopped rolling around on her head :mad: ... What method did you use?

And Beaumont67, thanks for the tip about Nature's Farmacy - I was going to get some tape from eBay today but Nature's Farmacy has a way better sale on JJ Zonas type right now! I am wondering if maybe they are not staying in because the tampons are a little thicker? So wouldn't it be the same if I used the backer rod wrapped in duck tape?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just another thing, Beaumont67 - for some reason I can't order the tape on the Nature's Farmacy website because it won't let me choose a country outside of the U.S! :(

·
Registered
397 Posts
Thanks to Kayree for the offer! I am just using medical tape we had at home, not sure what brand. It is pretty sticky and I think would work decently if she stopped rolling around on her head :mad: ... What method did you use?
I have used a couple of different methods LOL
We're still posting at 11 months due to the cartilage and cut of my boy's ears, but I started off using the method stickied in this forum, and it worked really well for us.

Have you looked into the stickied thread in this forum? I'd follow it exactly, although you can omit the vet wrap if you want. I have used it but I'm not sure it was necessary (but it did provide a fun colour though :) ) and you have to be careful not to wrap it too tightly as it can cut off circulation.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts