Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pete has some horrid callouses on his chest. Any suggestions on how to keep them from getting infected?
Pete came into rescue with these as well as pressure sores on his butt which have healed. For the past year he has had access to dog beds which he always uses, he refuses to lay on the bare floor for the most part. Last time they were infected (in February) he was given a round of ceph and it cleared up. These pics are from last week and actually look good. Today I noticed they are swollen and starting to bleed again. Due to the location removal is not an option as the vet feels it will be impossible to get it sutured and healed.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Are they actually callouses or growths? If they are callouses from constant rubbing and/or pressure, you can buy udder cream from the local tack shop. Apply it when needed. If you really want them gone, apply the cream and have him wear a soft padded harness that has a chest covering like this:

http://www4.images.coolspotters.com/photos/42640/puppia-soft-dog-harness-profile.jpg

You actually want to saturate the skin to the point where they slough off. But if they are indeed some sort of growth (you said they got infected?) I would NOT do this, and just let them be.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
That's pretty weird lookin'. Has anyone suggested taking a little nip off and sending it for biopsy? Do you have any pictures of them from a year ago?

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
Magic came to me with similar pressure sores on his brisket. I could tell they were long standing sores as the tissue around the sore was scarred.

As he came to me in a crate with no bedding I assume he spent lots of time crated without any bedding, and this is what caused the issue.

It took over 6 months for the sores to heal up, he does have a big scar and hairless area now, but it no longer breaks open.

Hugz to Pete!

·
Registered
370 Posts
You can also try this:

Go to the foot section in like walmart or walgreen where you find inserts and callus pads. Generally you can find " Moleskin" ~ these are the large sheets of callus pads that you custom cut to fit your calluses. I would then make holes large enough to fit over his calluses and stick the moleskin over the top, that way when he does lay down the pressure is around the callus and not on it. If you have too, get some skin bonding glue and make sure the mole skin does not come off. With no pressure whatsoever on the calluses hopefully they will disappear in time.

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info - they are from spending a lot of time crated or kenneled on a hard surface. I don't have any pics from last year but they haven't changed. I'll try to get a picture now that they are swollen and a tad oozy. The moleskin and a t-shirt may be a good way to go. He is also going to start another round of ceph - I just need to keep them from getting icky.

·
Registered
370 Posts
LOL got to admit though, if you get the moleskin and custom make giant Callus pads for them he might look a bit goofy lol these large round cut outs on his chest, but if you go out and around town with him, put the T-shirt ON him, cover up his little booboos lol

Ya know, next time you are at the vet, you might ask him about the wart removers you can buy that Freeze off the warts, it doesnt really excise the skin, but freezes it to a point where is sloughs off. Maybe try that and then put the mole skin over the sores and let them heal that way. He might scar pretty good, but I would think it would fill in pretty decent.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Moldfoam should work to cover it but I would have it tested to be sure that it isn't a growth. Lazer surgery is possible and might be an option. Sorry for the dog on this, doesn't look good to me.

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
If they get infected because they dry out perhaps an antibiotic creme rubbed in a couple of times a day and then put the moleskin or some kind of protective material over them. Just a thought on how to help. No vet here.

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Multiple vets have looked at it and it is considered a callous.It is aggravated due to him laying on his chest vs his side and him being so deep chested. padding with the mole foam seems to be the best idea to try once the infection clears up to reduce the pressure when he lays down.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts