Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been feeding my dogs Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers Soul since I discovered it in 2006, Its always been great for my dogs, between my Dobes, my greyhound, the beagle, the min pin and all the foster dogs its always been fantastic. My dogs have always had beautiful thick shiny coats and bright eyes and clean teeth. My Greyhound has had some food allergy issues, but the large breed formula usually treats her well, especially since I combine it with 2 tablespoons of whole fat yogurt and fish oil.... But Maybe May, she's been having a tough time with her food. We've used the Nutro Natural Choice Sensitive Stomach and it was the worst diarrhea I've ever seen a pup have, We tried Halo Puppy Formula and she refused to eat it, and of course Chicken soup for puppies, and for large breed puppies... She loves the Large Breed food, but her poops are very soft. I'm just trying to figure out a great Sensitive Stomach food that isn't ridiculously expensive, and is going to give her the vitamins and nutrition she needs while having limited ingredients for her tummy. Any suggestions??

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Instead of trying to find the Magic Food your pup can eat, I would be trying to figure out why it is she seems to need a Magic Food.

Have you compared the ingredient panels of everything she has been on (and all treats and extras) and tried to find a common ingredient, and eliminating it if you find one?

Has she been checked for Giardia? Has she been checked for Giardia multiple times? Has a course of Metronidazole been tried, even if the fecal checks were negative?

How is her weight/body condition? Have you tried offering less food?

Have you tried a digestive enzyme like NOW Foods Super Enzymes (i.e. animal-based enzymes)?

Have you tried slippery elm?

What did her breeder have her on, and how did she do on it?

Eating food and digesting it properly is pretty basic function... it shouldn't be causing all this much problem. Identifying and fixing the problem would be my first concern.

·
kopfgeschlagen
2,671 Posts
My Elke has a sensitive stomach too. She also had giardia so I second the suggestion to make sure your dog does not have any digestive parasites or other causes.

I tried a few foods and ended up on Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Stomach. She does great on it and has been on it since she was about 8 or 9 months.

·
Super Moderator
22,000 Posts
I agree with mmctaq on some screenings and possibly metro or Panacur (or both) to clear up any parasites or infections.

That said, Shanoa had a pretty sensitive stomach as a puppy. Part of it was that she was a very anxious pup and her anxiety would affect her stools. But, she was also very sensitive to grains and didn't have firm stools until we put her on a grain-free food (Orijen). As an adult, her system seems to have matured and she can eat many more things than she could in her first year.

Reactions: LindaH

·
Registered
687 Posts
My puppy had similar issues for a long time. You need to provide more information so we can better assist you. I will say that limited ingredient diets are a good place to start for puppies with stool issues as compared to foods that throw everything into the mix. Also, I would eliminate all treats until you resolve the food issue. Beyond that I would need to know a lot more about the history of the problem and the protein sources you have tried.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts