Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! We need your help/expertise. Our 8 month old Euro Doberman has had a string of bad luck. His ears were cropped poorly by his first owner and when we got him we had to have them fixed and was put on a strong antibiotic. Then, he recently received a nasty dog bite from another puppy at doggy day care and was put on another round of antibiotics. This along with all of his shots (I believe) has contributed to him having a poor immune system. On Monday I noticed a large lump in between his toes under his foot that was inflamed, and resembled a wart. I'll post a picture if I can. When we went to the vet they said he has a papilloma and that it is common with puppies. But we have never experienced this before with any of our other dogs and puppies. Our vet thinks it will take care of itself within a few months but wanted to do ANOTHER round of antibiotics. We are not comfortable with this. Especially after doing our research. I have purchased some Thuja drops that come highly recommended but would like some additional advice/recommendations. (Diet, food ideas, etc) we also noticed a fatty lump on his back. Normal for an old dog, but not for a young guy. Any suggestions!?

·
Registered
207 Posts
I've never had a dog with papilloma but every other dog I know that's had it, it goes away on its own.

Have your vet check the fatty lump, my boy has one and he's two, so they aren't just for old dogs. I had the vet check it and it's a benign cyst. I'll prob have it removed anyways though.

I recommend probiotics for your pup to boost his immune system and help his system balance again.

·
Registered
128 Posts
My 11 month old Dobe had the papilloma virus in his mouth as a younger puppy. Lately, we developed wart like growths on one of his paws. They grow to about the size of a pencil eraser and then fall off (and bleed.) I cauterized them with silver nitrate, which seems to help... but they keep popping up.

Does your Dobe have something like this?? My next option would be to biopsy one and find out what it is. The vets don't think it's the papilloma virus.

As far as the lump... I've seen that develop in dogs that rough house. You said he goes to doggie daycare? I wonder if it's a hematoma? Or ... has he had vaccines in that area?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Matteo, it's larger than that. The vet didn't test it though. He is kind of old school. It gets damaged and scabs and seems to get bigger. I'm trying the thuja because it doesn't have any negative side effects and I keep reading good reviews. The lump actually started getting smaller, so it may have been a little battle wound from the doggy daycare. (I don't mean to make the daycare sound bad, they are actually the best and my dogs absolutely love it there. Plus the vet clinic is on site and they have web cams so you can see everything, so I trust the facility.) I'll give this a couple of days. It doesn't seem to be bothering him at all. If I don't notice a change, I'll take him back to the vet and see if we can just freeze it. The bleeding is a little annoying and I worry about infection. But long term, j want a healthy, happy dog. so diet suggestions are always welcome. Raw eating isnt feasible for my budget though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts