Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys, I'm waiting on a call back from our vet, but until then, I need to get some advice. Gunner hasn't been counter surfing in a long time. This morning though I was planning on doing some baking and had left a full stick of butter out on the counter to soften. BIG mistake. I feel so bad :( I was in the living room and heard him jump up. I ran into the kitchen just in time to see him swallow the entire stick of butter, paper and all. There was no time to even attempt to tell him to "drop it" or get it away. It was literally gone in one big gulp. Obviously now I'm freaked out. That amount of butter can't be good for a dog, not to mention the paper wrapper that it was in. What should I do??? I feel so guilty. I should know that a 9 month old pup can't resist a temptation like that :(

·
Registered
472 Posts
my 10 year old took the butter if we left the house an forgot to put it a way hes fine i even got him on on tape doing it frist 3 mins we were gone hope this helps good luck oh ya hes fine :)

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
He will probably get a good case of the runs. As far as the paper. No different then leaves it will breakdown and pass thru the system I think.
There is a way to induce vomiting with hydrogen peroxide buts its liquefied now and not whole persay. I don't think the vet would do anything different unless it was toxic and although he od on it, I think the result will be diarrhea. I think they should be able to tell you without a visit, unless their money hungry like most visits.
I might be wrong, google it, im sure some other dogs ate butter at some point.

Reactions: OliviaB

·
Got mutt?
13,842 Posts
My Rat Terrier ate a stick of butter once. It didn't seem to bother him. What scared me was that the next day, he managed to eat a bottle of Immodium tablets. We only found five of the 30 or so tablets left in the bottle. We don't know how much time elapsed between him ingesting them, and our finding out, but he survived that as well.

If anything, the vet might suggest inducing vomiting. Like Nubis's Dad, said, you shove hydrogen peroxide down him, and he'll bring up whatever's in his stomach. You know, stuff like zinc oxide diaper rash ointment , chocolate cupcakes, and, in your case, butter.

I will add DO NOT induce vomiting if you suspect he's swallowed something caustic, as bringing that up could cause more harm.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Whew...thanks guys. I'm amazed that so many dogs love butter...who knew?! The vet called me back and said she thinks he will be fine, aside from some tummy upset and some diarrhea most likely. She thinks that the wrapper won't cause any issues due to his large size and the paper material so that's a relief too. She offered to let him stay at the vet today for observation (for free) but I think that would probably stress him out more than necessary. I'm staying at home today so I can watch him. Plus, when it does pass, I need to be here to let him outside. Definitely don't want him passing that stuff in the house! He is acting fine aside from some HORRIBLE dobergas. I literally had to open a window earlier :lol2: Anyways..thanks for the input. Here's a pic of the butter thief a few minutes ago trying to look innocent. ;)

Butter?? What butter??

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
His gas will get worse, but it will have a buttery smell to it. Lololol
If it's parchment paper, it should breakdown and I wouldn't be surprised if you see it all.

Reactions: Sherryh

·
Registered
975 Posts
Okay guys, I'm waiting on a call back from our vet, but until then, I need to get some advice. Gunner hasn't been counter surfing in a long time. This morning though I was planning on doing some baking and had left a full stick of butter out on the counter to soften. BIG mistake. I feel so bad :( I was in the living room and heard him jump up. I ran into the kitchen just in time to see him swallow the entire stick of butter, paper and all. There was no time to even attempt to tell him to "drop it" or get it away. It was literally gone in one big gulp. Obviously now I'm freaked out. That amount of butter can't be good for a dog, not to mention the paper wrapper that it was in. What should I do??? I feel so guilty. I should know that a 9 month old pup can't resist a temptation like that :(
Well I would have..and have put a spoonfull of peroxide or table salt on back of tongue to make him vomit it back up..especially if I was right on it the minute he did it.
Good idea to speak to vet but he should be ok..maybe some diarrhea but overall ok..fingers crossed for him

·
Got mutt?
13,842 Posts
Olivia, it's not just a 9 month old. Lucky was probably 7 years old when he ate the butter, and got ahold the chocolate cupcake just last summer, at age 10 years. He was 2 years old when he ate the diaper rash ointment. I'm just glad he isn't big enough to actually reach the counters. He has to wait for a cat to knock something down. :)

Reactions: Sherryh

·
Broadway Dobermans
846 Posts
Strider has eaten sticks of butter on a few different occasions. ha
He was always fine.
He looked quite happy and pleased with himself actually.
ha

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
I might be wrong, google it, im sure some other dogs ate butter at some point.
This is exactly what I do, but mainly out of curiosity...for example, one day I was hanging out in the living room and eating candy corn and wondering to myself if a dog has ever eaten an entire bag and what happened, if they would be ok, etc. I did a quick google search on my phone "dog ate a whole bag of candy corn" and sure enough there were many results that popped up of dogs that had eaten entire bags. It's a great way to learn if you're bored, and who knows it might come in handy one day :)

I am glad Gunner is going to be fine! :)

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
Didn't he just eat a stick of butter not too long ago off the counter? I think I would put the butter on lockdown and ban him from the kitchen LOL

Hope he will be ok

·
Registered
337 Posts
I had a Weim eat a whole batch of chocolate chip cookies cooling on a rack while staying with a friend. They called the vet and they said he'd be fine. He ended up with crazy amounts of energy running laps around the house. Never got sick from it though.

Years later he ate a brand new unopened package of Hershey's bars that were intended to make some s'mores. That never even phased him at all.

It amazes me what can and what won't affect a dog.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I would have..and have put a spoonfull of peroxide or table salt on back of tongue to make him vomit it back up..especially if I was right on it the minute he did it.
Good idea to speak to vet but he should be ok..maybe some diarrhea but overall ok..fingers crossed for him
I thought about inducing vomiting, but the butter was so soft that I honestly didn't think i would get much up. Plus when this happened i was already late taking the kids to school and I wouldn't want to make him vomit without being there to observe him.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Didn't he just eat a stick of butter not too long ago off the counter? I think I would put the butter on lockdown and ban him from the kitchen LOL

Hope he will be ok
Lol, yeah he's eaten some before, but I think this is the first time he's eaten a whole stick and so fast. I could be mistaken though...he gets into trouble often. It really scared me how fast he gulped it though. He's acting completely normal tonight though so looks like he's going to be fine :)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts