Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused:I bought TOTW Prarie formula 1/22/2012 and weaned Jake to that with 1/4 of the new to 3/4 of the old food for about 7 days then 1/2 to 1/2 aprox 7 days then 1/4 old to 3/4 new; then about 4 days ago I have been on all TOTW. The previous food was Iams Large breed puppy. With that said I also had given him a Kong with some treats and yougert in it about 6 days ago ; I came home to diarrhea in the kennel. I have not feed any treats since that point just the food thinking mabye it was the yougert; he had had the yougert approx 3-4 times prior. I had put a few milk bones chicken flavor in the kong (which was new) so I was sure it was that or the dairy. I read some info later about milk bones and diarrhea; i threw those away! Well he has had diarrea 2 more times in the kennel; and has approx 10 bumps on his back that I can see due to the hair raised when he leans his upper body down; mostly across the shoulders to mid upper back. I would have thought if he was allergic to something in the TOTW I would have seen it in the 1st 2 weeks. I am not sure how I should proceed to feed him at this point. Any advice would be appreciated. He did have 2 bumps on his belly groin area last night that have gone down drastically; now flush with the skin and faded from dark pink to almost skin tone. I normally feed 2 cups in the AM and 2 cups in the PM.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Is it actual diarrhrea or soft, pudding like stools? You may be feeding too much as TOTW is a richer food. Try cutting back 1/2 cup and see what happens. He is a little young for allergies to show up. Does he lick his front feet?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it actual diarrhrea or soft, pudding like stools? You may be feeding too much as TOTW is a richer food. Try cutting back 1/2 cup and see what happens. He is a little young for allergies to show up. Does he lick his front feet?
One the first day after the yougert/ milk bones it was more liquid; however the time last night and the time before was more of a pudding consistancy. He does not lick his feet...

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Ok, licking front feet is a common sign of food allergy, so it is probably not allergy. Try feeding 1 1/2 cups per feeding and see what happens. If his stools firm up, increase the food to 1 3/4 cup per feeding and see if he can eat that much. Dont give ANYTHING ELSE while testing him. There are food intolerences, too, but most common is overfeeding. When is he due for a vet check?

·
Premium Member
10,129 Posts
Not all dogs do well on even the most highly touted diets. How old is he now? Your avatar info says 16 weeks and four cups of anything would be a very high quantity of food so I suspect that he's older than that.

Sensitivities and allergies usually don't show up in puppies and it usually takes longer than a month for them to surface. Foot licking shows up more in contact allergies (often to grass) so that doesn't sound like it.

I'd try cutting back on the quantity of food first since it may simply be that as LindaH mentioned.

And just a word of warning--if you are going to stuff Kongs with food to keep the dog entertained you should cut down his meals by the amount of "stuff" you put in the Kong--that will contribute to overfeeding too.

Even though this will cause a number of folk who believe that anything manufacturered by Iams (which includes Eukanuba), Hills and Purina are poison to claim that you will ruin your dog, I'll also add that a lot of puppies don't handler many of the higher end foods well and do fine on mid range foods that may not get 5 star ratings from the various outfits that rate food. A lot of Dobe breeders feed food to puppies that is not at all what they may feed to adult dogs. They do it because it works.

And if you haven't already talked to his vet about the possiblity of coccidia or giardia you should do that as either are known culprits in puppies who have intermittant soft stool and/or blowout diarrhea. Tests for both of those are somewhat different than just a stool sample when they check for worm eggs as in a fecal float.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Ha ha, Dobebug, giardia and coccidia is where I was headed next if he had answered me! That is why I asked about the vet. I would have covered them and more if I wasnt posting from my phone which taker FOREVER!!! I do agree that foot licking can be a sign of contact allergies, but it is what keyed me to both of my dogs having food allergies. Both licked their front feet incessantly, so you cant discount it as a symptom of food allergies. :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys...I am obviously feeding too much....he is 16 weeks. I will ask my vet about those tests ....also I wonder if I should get more of the previous food and cut it back down by mixing again since I.am on day 4 of New food unmixed? I am posting from phone too LOL...

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Cut him back and see how he does first. Just be sure not to give anything else till you can see lf the TOTW is going to work for him or not. He looks like a pretty boy with a good ear crop.:) Where did you get him, if you want to say? Oh yeah, dont worry about the tests yet.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cut him back and see how he does first. Just be sure not to give anything else till you can see lf the TOTW is going to work for him or not. He looks like a pretty boy with a good ear crop.:) Where did you get him, if you want to say? Oh yeah, dont worry about the tests yet.
Thanks for all of your help!. I am not proud to say I purchased him from an ad in the local paper where I live. He did not come from a good breeder. I have learned a lot from this web site and will never make that mistake again. My vet in Paris , TN did his ear crop; I think he did a good job! My vet also agrred with you guys to cut back on the amount of feeding and just stick with it at this point; he said the raised areas on his back were older than I realized; I just noticied them when they started raising above the skin su:thanx:rface but that he was just adjusting to the new food.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
That is how most of us got our first dobermans before we knew better. I am very curious about his ears and the vet that did them. I cant see you avatar that well on my model T phone:), but could you post some close ups of his head/ ears front and side views? We are always needing to refer people for ear crops and good croppers are RARE. I can get to a computer later to look at the crop. We need to see some more pictures of your handsome boy, too.:) Your in a beautiful area! Keep an eye on those bumps. Is there chicken in the TOTW?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
TOTW Prarie Formula Ingredients are: Bison, lamb meal, chicken meal, egg product, sweet potatoes, peas, potatoes, canola oil, roasted bison, roasted venison, natural flavor, tomato pomace, ocean fish meal, salt, choline chloride, dried chicory root, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, yucca schidigera extract, dried fermentation products of Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei and Lactobacillus plantarum, dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

I took a few pics yesterday and will post some; I will get some more pics today!

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Great! Wont be able to see pics till tomorrow, but others can see today if you post. Make a new thread announcing pictures when you do! :) What were the meat and meat meals in the Iams you were feeding? I am just storing all this up as a "just in case" it might be needed later. But youre probably good. So dont start worrying or anything, k.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Just trying to Learn this photo bucket process LOL; I will make a new thread with pics when I figure it out.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

This is our St. Bernard Tessa; she Loves playing with Jake when he gets to go outside for playtime....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts