Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am awaiting the holter results but Boysie was up a lot last night coughing. His dieuretics were increased last week because he coughed and they found fluid around the heart hence they upped the meds. Any ideas why they don't seem to have helped so much? Otherwise he appears okay but he looks at me and its breaking my heart.I have my dad in hospital with end stage heart failure and I am terrified that my angel dog is going to not respond to medication and suffer that fate. What dose of furosemide, and spironalactone can be given safely? Hope to get results today.
Thanks alys

·
Censored
716 Posts
There are some other medications that you might be able to try for Boysie but I would contact your pup's vet or if he has a cardiologist, that would be even better. I wish I could be of more help :( Sending good vibes and ease your way.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Sorry you are having to go through this. Healing thoughts to you.

Reactions: Sherryh and alys

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all your thoughts, I have heard from the Holter results and they are OK I havent actually got the figures but have spoken to the cardiologist. He is still coughing and I am upping his dieuretics. I will take him for tests Monday if he is no better.
Thanks Alys

·
Premium Member
10,177 Posts
Geeze...I hope it was the cardiologist who told you to up the diuretics and told you how much to give.

Sorry, it makes me a little crazy when I run into questions on how much of some medication can safely been given on one of these forums--but it makes me crazier when people answer who aren't vets and the OP's take their advice.

Particularly with cardio issues it's best to ask the cardiologist--cardio dogs are often on many meds which can give mixed reactions when fiddled with.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi

Yes it was the cardioligist who told me to give them 3 times a day,keep an eye on respiratory rate and go in on Monday if okay, otherwise I can go as an emergency anytime. I am very lucky as I have The Royal Vetinary College about 5 miles away.
Thanks Alys

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
I am very sorry to hear your father is very sick and now your best friend is not doing well either. Special prayers for you and your family.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts