Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

help on question about blood thinners

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Murreydobe 
#1 ·
I really need some help guys.. :help_up_2 I am hoping that the wise ones at this forum will help. I was at the pain clinic today and was asked about Fish Oil, Flax Seed Oil, and Vitamin E. The nurse said that these all act a blood thinners.
Well, I am not taking them but the dogs do.. Now Raven, is a carrier of VonWillebrand's with only 4% clotting factor.
Does any one know if the vitamins act the same way in dogs as it does in humans?? I asked my vet and he was not sure! I would hate to be giving Raven anything that would be thinning her blood. She has enough problems with healing and clotting as it is.. Thanks for all your help.

#2 ·
I'm sorry I'm not of more help, I don't know, I tried to do a search for info, but nothing really came up regarding thinning the blood. Maybe call a few different vets, or animal hospitals where they have several vets on hand. Hopefully someone can give you an answer.

#5 ·
if your dog is a carrier, you have nothing to worry about in terms of vWD. she simply isnt affected.

now that doesnt mean that she cannot have OTHER bleeding disorders besides vWD - it is far from the only disorder present, and dobermans do have problems with them as well - as can any dog.

that being said, yes vit E and fish oil (im not sure about flax seed) can thin blood out - they act as anticoagulants, and in some cases can exacerbate other effects of drugs and deficiencies.

#6 ·
doberkim said:
if your dog is a carrier, you have nothing to worry about in terms of vWD. she simply isnt affected.

now that doesnt mean that she cannot have OTHER bleeding disorders besides vWD - it is far from the only disorder present, and dobermans do have problems with them as well - as can any dog.

that being said, yes vit E and fish oil (im not sure about flax seed) can thin blood out - they act as anticoagulants, and in some cases can exacerbate other effects of drugs and deficiencies.
As for Raven being a carrier- she is a carrier but she also is a low carrier with only 4%clotting factor. It is really weird, when she had her tail and ears cropped we did not have a problem with extra bleeding..but when she had a small cut on her behind( and i do mean small less than a 1/4" ) she bleeded for 2 months. she is very slow to heal. That is why I am so worried about the vitamins that I am giving her. Thank all for any help.. I am also researching too. will let you know if I find anything

#7 ·
VWD is caused by a recessive gene-it takes two copies of the gene (one received from each parent) for the trait to be expressed. Dobermans can be divided into three categories as far as vWD status:

Clear-the dog has NO copies of the gene. It's genetically impossible for the dog to have clotting difficulties due to vWD. It's also genetically impossible for the dog to produce vWD affected puppies.

Carrier-the dog has ONE copy of the gene. Again-genetically impossible for the dog to have clotting problems due to vWD. However, the dog WILL pass the trait on to some of its offspring.

Affected-the dog has TWO copies of the gene. A small number of affected dobermans have clotting problems due to vWD, but most lead perfectly normal lives without any clotting difficulties. If used for breeding, the dog will produce either carrier of affected puppies, but it's genetically impossible for an affected dog to produce clear offspring.

The ONLY reliable test for vWD is the dna test. You *can't* have a "low" carrier..I think you're confusing categories based on the results of the ELISA test for vWD, which is a notoriously unreliable test.

If your dog is having clotting difficulties, I'd make sure to test thyroid function annually-there appears to be a link between low thyroid (very common in dobermans) and increased risk of clotting problems for vWD affected dogs.

It's really not weird that your puppy had its ears cropped without any problems..the amount of von Willebrands Factor produced is at an all time high with small puppies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.