Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Lil Pup
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 4 mth old dobie, Harley, and I am having problems with her running at us and nipping. Any suggestions on how to stop this?

I have her doing the following obedience commands: sit, down, stay (for about 60 seconds) and heeling. But am having problems with the nipping and biting. I tell her NO...but she looks at me...and nips. or she will run and nip at me as she passes.

Also, I can't seem to get her to understand "off" for not jumping.

Am I expecting too much from her?

Thanks

·
Registered
259 Posts
I hope others will chime in. Its been a long time since I've worked with a puppy, so my puppy skills are rusty hehe, but with my P-day (puppy pick-up day :D ) approaching I've been immersing myself in puppy reading =)

What's going on when she does this? Is she bored? Excited? Is there something going on in her environment that makes her scared or anxious?

After you correct her, are you offering her something that she can chew on?

Is there a training book or trainer that you are using to teach yourself how to teach her?

·
Registered
397 Posts
We used the bite inhibition method. If you google "bite inhibition + dobermantalk" you get quite a few links.

We said "OUCH" in a really high 'yip' type voice with no play/cuddles for a minute everytime Angus was like that. He was pretty bite-y for the first couple of weeks, but honestly, after doing that constantly, he got it. We also re-directed with toys that were acceptable for chewing on.

As for the jumping up, make sure you NEVER EVER give her ANY attention when she jumps up at ANY time. This includes when you're tired and come home from work and she jumps up to say hello. If she never gets anything from the jumping up, it will cease to stop. It just takes patience and constant reminders to her. Make sure no one in your household or anyone who comes in your door leans down when she jumps up. I would constantly remind people before I'd let them in the door the "puppy rules" when they came over... just helped to reinforce jumping manners. Also make sure to reward everytime you say off and she gets off of you. Once all four paws are on the floor, you can snuggle/mush your face against her as much as you want :)

And last but not least, BREATH! :) Patience is key and your dog isn't a horrible hellhound coming to get you (although sometimes you wonder, right ;) ).

Reactions: MeadowCat
1 - 4 of 4 Posts