Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was so happy to find this website. I have owned 7 dobermans since I was 18. All were super companions. Helped us raise our kids, were protective if needed, and wonderfully goofy. All passed of old age, except last one. We lost our much loved male dobe, Traveler, in Jan to cardio myopathy. He was 8 years old, and lived a pretty cool life. Broke our hearts. Traveler was from a breeder in Elk, WA. Have tried to find them to let them know that Traveler died from CM. Unable to find website or any listings from that area. So, we are now beginning our search for a female, companion/pet quality. We have no interest in breeding, showing, etc. Our home is not right without a goofy dobe. When Traveler was diagnosed, our vet (who has taken care of all 7 of our dogs over the years), told me that cm has become a big problem in the breed. I would like to ask this forum for information on good breeders in the pacific northwest area. I am looking for a great companion, health screening...especially for cm (are there tests for cm?). Thank you all so much. K

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
There are several excellent breeders in those states. I can think of Foxfire and Starlaine right off, but there are more. I do think either of those two would be hard to beat. Try going to DPCA breeder referral and check it out. There are two heart tests that should be done yearly before breeding on both parents, holter moniter and ultrasound. There is also a one time DNA test for ONE cardio gene. Testing negative doesnt mean the dog will not develop DCM. While on the DPCA site check out the health section so you will understand the diseases and tests that should be done on the breeding adults of any pup you decide to buy. Best wishes in your search.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Welcome to the forum, sorry it's under such sad circumstances.

Good luck in your search--as Linda said, the DPCA list is a good place to start, but I'm sure you know to still do your due diligence.

Dilated Cardiomyopathy (DCM) is taking about 50% of our beloved Dobermans, we now know. Sigh. I am sorry your Traveler was yet another victim, and you are right to want a breeder who's doing all screening possible to prevent their bloodlines passing this on.

There are no guarantees, but at least you can go to someone who is minimizing the risk, with all the tools we have available at the moment.

Make the breeders go over the pedigree with you, and show you hard copies of all health screening--some people are sort of learning to "talk the talk" but don't so much "walk the walk," so (politely) get confirmation and documentation of everything, prior to purchase.

Best luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you, all, for the information. You all have given me a place to begin our search. I am just so paranoid about of choosing a pup from someone who may not be honest about health issues. Holy Cow! Wouldn't it just be great to be able to snap a finger and have the perfect companion dobe appear...in my home.... snap, snap, snap

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update: after snapping my fingers...a lot, waiting for my perfect dobe to appear , I got a frantic call from a long ago best friend. Due to serious health problem, she needed someone she could trust with one of her treasured dogs. I found myself nose to nose with my first encounter of ......a 10mth old white male standard POODLE. Both of us, looking at each other, thinking "you have got to be kidding"! Friend assures me that this could be one of the most intelligent dogs I have ever owned. That he is a blank slate ready for anything I might want of him. I am in shock. Will still bring in my dobe. Maybe this is one of my past souls that has come back to me? LOL Too Foo Foo Funny. Onward to the poodle forums.

·
Get the bunnies!
7,024 Posts
Update: after snapping my fingers...a lot, waiting for my perfect dobe to appear , I got a frantic call from a long ago best friend. Due to serious health problem, she needed someone she could trust with one of her treasured dogs. I found myself nose to nose with my first encounter of ......a 10mth old white male standard POODLE. Both of us, looking at each other, thinking "you have got to be kidding"! Friend assures me that this could be one of the most intelligent dogs I have ever owned. That he is a blank slate ready for anything I might want of him. I am in shock. Will still bring in my dobe. Maybe this is one of my past souls that has come back to me? LOL Too Foo Foo Funny. Onward to the poodle forums.
Congrats on your new addition! Please do stick around here, other breed owners are more than welcome, especially if you are already a Dobe lover ;) Also I would LOVE to see pics of your new boy, I adore Standard Poodles, they are great! Head over to the non-Dobermans animal talk board and introduce him :)

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Standards are very intelligent cool dogs, I really like them and would probably have one if it weren't for the grooming! I do think the perfect dogs sometimes have a way of finding their way to us, and I hope he's a great fit for your situation!

And we do love owners of other breeds on DT, feel free to stick around! ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sometimes life can just get soooo interesting. This past weekend, I was in Yachats, Oregon. A coastal town that hosts a wild mushroom festival. I have been in the wild mushroom business for 30 years and I teach beginning mushroom hunters about the good, bad and ugly mushrooms in the woods...during the festival. I noticed a man walking his dobe in a field. Drop dead gorgeous male. Obviously, I was drawn closer to watch. The dobe came to check me out. Talked to the man, who told me the 2 year old male was a Foxfire dog. A truely beautiful dog. I absolutely love the look a dobe gives you when you first meet them. My new standard is fitting into life here, and when he is settled and confident, I will think about contacting foxfire. Seeing that dobe made my heart jump. Yikes!

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Sometimes life can just get soooo interesting. This past weekend, I was in Yachats, Oregon. A coastal town that hosts a wild mushroom festival. I have been in the wild mushroom business for 30 years and I teach beginning mushroom hunters about the good, bad and ugly mushrooms in the woods...during the festival. I noticed a man walking his dobe in a field. Drop dead gorgeous male. Obviously, I was drawn closer to watch. The dobe came to check me out. Talked to the man, who told me the 2 year old male was a Foxfire dog. A truely beautiful dog. I absolutely love the look a dobe gives you when you first meet them. My new standard is fitting into life here, and when he is settled and confident, I will think about contacting foxfire. Seeing that dobe made my heart jump. Yikes!
Foxfire is a very good choice but just so you'll know, Foxfire will more than likely have a waiting list and it could be long. You might want to think about a timeframe and base that on when you are considering contacting them.

Reactions: kathy patterson

·
Registered
1 Posts
Northstar Dobermans in Wenatchee has 5 puppies available. They are now almost 10 weeks old. Most of the Northstar dogs are from Marienburg lines. I visited them a few weeks ago - great puppies and very well cared for. They show most of their dogs and are very knowledgeable about the Doberman breed. I highly recommend them.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Standards are very intelligent cool dogs, I really like them and would probably have one if it weren't for the grooming! I do think the perfect dogs sometimes have a way of finding their way to us, and I hope he's a great fit for your situation!

And we do love owners of other breeds on DT, feel free to stick around! ;)
This. I would groom the damn dog to death, daily.

Otherwise, I'd have a good Std Poodle, in a heartbeat.

Way cool dogs, and thank you for giving a home to one in need.

Many happy blessed years together to you guys.

Reactions: Abby and bubsy

·
sandy2233
2,489 Posts
You're looking at the #2 breed for intelligence behind the border collie. I think of the standards as not really poodles. More like hounds. Clowny personalities Good years ahead for you.

·
Premium Member
8,731 Posts
A few people that do agility with standards shave them. Even the heads! The first time I saw them I was a not real sure what they were. They did look good shaved though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey guys.....I already have more shampoo, conditioners, whiteners, brushes, combs and more, I am sure, than this house has ever seen. Brushing, more brushing and more. Leo seems pretty stoic about it all. Sons took Leo and Sadie (sons rescue rott), to petco. People picked up their little dogs so Sadie wouldn't eat them (I suppose), but wanted to touch Leo. I am so used to people who are afraid of my dobes, that it doesn't bother me...their loss! But am amazed that someone would stick their hand out to touch a dog (any dog), they don't know. Posted a picture in gallery. Not the best, my first effort. LOL

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Ah, he's cute, and has a nice expression.

If you didn't do that topknot yourself, um, might want to have a different groomer do him next time. <---see, I can obsess over even the grooming on someone else's dog.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have not touched his hair yet. Having him chipped tomorrow as I think he would not put up a fight if someone wanted to take him. Asking vets about groomers in area. Understand that not all groomers are equal....hummmmm. So much to learn. Leo is learning to play. His buddy Sadie, got him to bounce and run from her this weekend. Just want Leo to learn to be a dog and enjoy his freedom and the sheer joy of being a canine member of our community. Our weener dog ... my rv dog .... who really isn't a dog ..... figures if she ignores him, he just might go away. Going to put Leo to work. Training begins for hunting truffles soon. Standards were used in europe for many many years....lets see if he has any working genes left. Our dobes were great truffle hunters, but couldn't take cold weather. Leo should stay warm with his coat. Fingers crossed.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts