Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading this forum, attending some local dog shows and researching Dobermans on the internet and I still need help. I grew up with Dobermans for the first 25 years of my life and find they are truly the only dog for me. I am looking for a dog who will fit in well with my family, I do not intend to show or Schutzhund train. I want a pet who is loving, intelligent, loyal and affectionate. I would like a well tempered dog who shows no signs of shyness. I will walk/jog with the dog daily and train him/her, but I basically want an additional family member. Health is an important issue also, obviously. Can someone please reccommend some really good California breeders.

·
Eat Poo and Die
2,193 Posts
Try contacting Irongate, Darwin, Incredible, von Luka, or vom Landgraf. I don't know much about Darwin other than they're hoping to breed in the next year or two and that Erin is super nice and helpful, but Irongate has a ton of longevity certificates. I know that Incredible, von Luka, and vom Landgraf title their dogs in working sports along with some UDC/UKC/ADA showing and health test quite thoroughly.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
I don't know much about Darwin other than they're hoping to breed in the next year or two and that Erin is super nice and helpful.
Erin is a latecomer to the Darwin breeding program. Over the years that kennel name has been established by breeder judge Darlene Young and Marilyn Altheide. They've bred some very nice dogs over the years, and Darlene is as honest about health problems as they come..she was one of the very first breeders to stand up and publicly admit one of her dogs died of DCM-that was probably around 30 years ago now.

I usually don't list them in my recommendations because they rarely breed anymore-for a long time they didn't even have a bitch of breedable age. But if they produce a litter in the near future, it might be worth looking into. I don't think you'll see them producing a pedigree with consecutive generations of their breeding anymore, more than likely they'll be using dogs who go back to Darwin dogs in the past, trying to revive their line. But Darlene's honesty would go a long ways towards getting recommendations from me. I do know she also does a lot of health testing.

·
Eat Poo and Die
2,193 Posts
Erin is a latecomer to the Darwin breeding program. Over the years that kennel name has been established by breeder judge Darlene Young and Marilyn Altheide. They've bred some very nice dogs over the years, and Darlene is as honest about health problems as they come..she was one of the very first breeders to stand up and publicly admit one of her dogs died of DCM-that was probably around 30 years ago now.

I usually don't list them in my recommendations because they rarely breed anymore-for a long time they didn't even have a bitch of breedable age. But if they produce a litter in the near future, it might be worth looking into. I don't think you'll see them producing a pedigree with consecutive generations of their breeding anymore, more than likely they'll be using dogs who go back to Darwin dogs in the past, trying to revive their line. But Darlene's honesty would go a long ways towards getting recommendations from me. I do know she also does a lot of health testing.
It was Erin who said 'hopefully in the next year or two'.

Erin also has a bitch out of Windsor, and they're a breeder in Woodside, Joi. I know even less about them, though, other than their proximity to Niz's favorite hiking spots.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
It was Erin who said 'hopefully in the next year or two'.

Erin also has a bitch out of Windsor, and they're a breeder in Woodside, Joi. I know even less about them, though, other than their proximity to Niz's favorite hiking spots.
Windsor (Anna Browning) has also produced some very nice dogs. I don't know how much health testing she does, but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you so much. I will have to research these breeders. I really appreciate this site. I'm sure I will have many more questions once I get my pup.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Trevor Miller might have puppies available. (Tevro Dobermans)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts