Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my female pup is almost 7month now and weighs 27kg, she was imported from hungary and ive had her almost a month, at first she was fine with people and other dogs out of the house but recently every person and dog we see she starts going mad, raising her hair, barking and really really pulling to get at them ive tried to put myself inbetween her and what she's been tring to get at and she's biten me twice (not hard enough to draw blood but it has bruised) i've tried saying no firmly and tried shouting at her but she pays no notice once she's started, how can i get her to stop this?? also she has started grawling and barking at me when i'm eating which can be quite intimidating, any help or advice would be amazing,

·
Registered
16,038 Posts
Have you tried talking with her breeder?

These type situations are hard to really say what to do since no one is there to see exactly what's going on with her.

If her behaviour is as serious as you make it sound you should 1) hire a certified veterinary behavourist or 2) make arrangements to send her back and get your money back to go toward a purchase from a breeder closer to you that can hopefully offer more help.

Is this a working line doberman?

Have you been socializing her from day one?

Have you ever owned a dog before? A working breed, a doberman??? Trained a puppy before?

This would be the first thing I would start with this dog, but you can't be uncertain or "asking" of a behavior. You must be certain and firm, but don't try to force her to do anything exreact, not physically. See, it's hard to give advice without being able to see the dog to understand exactly what she's doing and being able to read how she is likely to react.

http://m.humanesociety.org/animals/dogs/tips/training_nothing_in_life_is_free.html

Oh, nearly forgot, put her up somewhere when you eat. She doesn't need to be watching you eat your meals anyway. Don't let her intimidate you or she will be running the household soon. Dobermans are a dominant breed and will take over the leadership role if they don't have a leader. Please don't try an alpha roll or you could be in trouble quickly.

Where exactly do you live? Maybe someone knows a trainer or behaviorist that can help you. Be careful about trainers as some could totally ruin her.

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
You need professional help now. Hire a trainer or get to class where she can be socialized. I'm concerned she has bitten you twice and she is still a puppy.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Shouting at a dog does nothing but communicate you are nervous and not in control.

I'd strongly suggest a behaviorist (either master's or vet degree) who is well recommended for teaching you dog communication/behaviors and not quickly medicating. If part of their plan did not include a good beginner group class I'd probably seek a different behaviorist.

With little dog experience why did you import a pup from Hungary? Did you go meet the breeder and their dogs or just buy over the internet?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi lindaH, nope ive not talked to the breeder but now its been suggested i'm going to call him this evening. yep i've been socalizing her from day1 (3wk ago) a week and a half ago we was in a charity dog show where she was absolutly fine and won two 2nd's and a 4th place. it seems to be more when we're out and about, inside places she's fine with others. i live in todmorden (north west yorkshire, lots and lots of fields and woods for her) ive had big dogs before, most recently trained a white alsatian from pup he stood about 6 4" on his back legs so i do have experiance with big dogs. ive never owned a doberman before but have looked after one for a couple of weeks at a time and i love the breed, i understand that the first year is going to be alot of work but i think it will be worth it. i no this behavior can be corrected thats why i created this post, she is very afectionate towards me and i care for her alot so sending her back isnt really an option. thank you for your advice, hopefuly we'll have this sorted out soon, its only over the last week she's been displaying this behavior and wanted to nip it in the bud

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
AKhiker, i meet with the breeder who has a home in the uk and hungary and talked with him at length about the breed (they mainly breed for shows) i think Hunnoterra are quite well known throughout europe for there dogs. i got a import because i live in the uk (where cropping and docking is illegal) but its my veiw that the doberman SHOULD really look as Herr Doberman intended. i do have experiance training big dogs (only males) but ive not encounted this before where verbal correction doesnt work (she isnt biting as hard as she could but its not just a playful nibble either. also the reason for the raised voice has been to try and snap her attention back onto me.

·
Registered
16,038 Posts
If the breeder has a home in the UK, maybe he could come over and get you started in the right direction.

She at the age for teen-ager bratty behaviour, too. So your probably dealing with some of that.

Main things are to be firm without being overbearing and being consistent, but I think your breeder needs to help you with this puppy and let's not forget that she is still a puppy. If your breeder can't get over here to get you on the right track quickly go with a certified behaviourist which it would be a good idea to get one on line anyway.

Some of this might help you, too. Puppy Development

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Do you have the availability of a training club??? If so I would start classes immediately. It sounds like the dog has you number. You said her barking intimidates you - The dogs need calm firm leadership. If you can't step up to be the strong leader then she will. Having big dogs is not necessarily a preparation for a Doberman. They are a working breed bred to protect.

Have a blood panel done to eliminate thyroid problems then find a schutzhund club to help you learn to train her correctly. You can't be afraid of her and succeed. Let us know what the breeder says. Hopefully they will help you too.

DO NOT turn your back or yelp - that shows weakness and sets you up for failure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Dobs4ever, thanks for the advice! i've contacted the white rose schutzhund club and i've been invited to go and have a talk with them next weekend to discuss joining :). i try to never show fear when she barks, i've started standing and moving towards her when she does it (which has been working) the once or twice it has'nt worked i've then done as above and grabbed her by the scuff (as recommended by the breeder, and she almost imediately goes to the lay position) he also said he's not had any similar feedback about any of the pups and asked to be kept informed. he also said at her ages its more than likely she's just testing her boundarys to she where her place in the pack is (baring in mind i've only had her 4wks) i've not had another incident since, so thank you all for your help and advice!!!

·
Premium Member
8,031 Posts
Sorry but I would not be grabbing her by the scruff I have no idea what that is suppose to to do to a pup since you are not a mother dog. I would think it would make her head shy think you need to talk to a behaviorist that can watch you and the pup together. Good Luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts