Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My pup was born Dec 29th 21 and has been doing well. He has all of his shots and has been great around the house. We crate him at night and he only walks around when we’re around. I’ve seen him eat small things like a chip or something. We keep a pretty clean house so I can’t think of much.
He started throwing up yesterday. He threw up his purina large breed puppy mix that he’s been on for months now. Then he stopped eating. He only threw up water. Now he’s throwing up blood sometimes. I tried walking him and he had diarrhea while walking. I called the E-vet but they don’t have space. I know it’s going off a hope and prayer but did anybody have any advice or something that helped in a similar situation until I can get him seen?
I had to move him to the garage until he gets better due to throwing up in the house. I use to have pumpkin when he was smaller to help his diet change and that worked great but I don’t have anymore. He’s acting like an old dog would (sluggish, calm, no enthusiasm while walking). I need the pup that I have to say stop jumping, licking, and crying for attention back. I hope he didn’t eat something that’s causing this. Please help. 😞

· Registered
2,068 Posts
Search for an emergency vet anywhere near you. If this were me, I’d already be in the car.

I am so sorry your pup is going through this. It is scary. Vomiting blood can be due to a very upset stomach and irritation to the lining or it could something much more serious. He is clearly in a bad way that could be something as simple as upset stomach due to eating something too rich or it could be something worse.

Get to an ER vet, even if is 2 hours away….or go camp on the doorstep of the local ER vet.

No internet advice is going to help.
Good luck!

· Super Moderator
Hairy Dog RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
31,666 Posts
Is it red fresh-looking blood--which generally indicates some kind of irritation or damage to the mouth, tongue, or esophagus (which could happen with repeated vomiting) or is it black and grainy looking, often described as "coffee grounds" (which might indicate actual stomach damage and bleeding--an ulcer or perforation?)

I'd think about whether this could be caused by a poisoning as well as the usual obstruction kinds of causes.

I don't have any advice to give other than to camp on the ER vet's doorstep. Try to keep track of the time and appearance of his vomit and diarrhea so you can describe it to your vet. Maybe even take pictures of it that you could show him. I hope you can get ahold of one tomorrow--at the very least, I would be in the car waiting at the routine vet's office when he opens in the morning. I wouldn't wait til I could get an appointment--I'd just show up first thing in the morning. Tell them it's an emergency.

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was dark red. Speaking with the emergency vet they said it sounds like it’s coming from too much vomiting but that’s over the phone. All vets in my area dont have room to board. Ive already texted my sup to call me. If I go to work it’ll be after he's been to the vet. I will try his normal vet and there is a non-profit vet that I’m thinking may not be a bad idea given his condition. They both open at 7:30. Going to be at one around that time and calling the other just in case since the emergency vets can’t take him rn. Sunday’s are the worst days to be sick human or animal smh. Everything is closed or at capacity.

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I took him to a non profit vet to get blood work and xrays done. They stated the xrays weren’t necessary after the blood work. He’s having issues with his kidney probably from something poisonous that he got into and he’s dehydrated. They’re recommending a vet stay to get him IVs. They’re hoping with him being 10 months and perfectly healthy before Saturday that the fluids will help him recuperate.

· Registered
268 Posts
A dehydrated puppy as you well know is a very dangerous state, happy you found a place to take him and didn't "wait until after work".

I sincerely hope him being a healthy pup prior will make this a speedy & complete recovery. My own at around 2 months ate something, I believe a poisonous weed outside, that he had both vomit & diarrhea from. I had him in his crate covered in a blanket gently reassuring packed up ready to go to to an Animal Hospital. Thankfully he recovered within an hour but it was scary... he was even making noises as he was breathing.

After that he was leashed and watched like a hawk outside while I pulled out any weed or even potentially toxic plant out... I should have been smarter and checked for these things before he even arrived.

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It cost me a pretty penny but hopefully I’ll be getting a call soon to come pick him back up. My oldest son told me to take him out of his afterschool program for a couple of months to use that money on the dog 😢. You don’t know how much you love them until you might lose them. Hopefully he’ll be good for years to come after this. I’m definitely calling to get pet insurance after this though. Idk what I was thinking assuming this could never happen to me.

· Registered
268 Posts
Same to us all! I actually have a credit card put aside only for pet vet care. The way I see it those monthly premiums are not much different than a monthly card payment, even when zero balance I tend to try and put a little into a separate account. In my case I have several pets plus fosters though... had I covered just my own it can easily be hundreds a month.

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey guys,
He coughed up one of my sons rubber balls. He got into some toys and at them. Apparently that’s what made him sick. His blood work is back to normal.
I just got him home. I washed him and cleaned his crate. He’s sitting up. Showing a lot more energy and actually wants to step out of the crate. The only issue lingering is that he won’t eat. He has medication to help with his appetite but I want him to eat soon. I’ve out most of the food that he usually finishes in second in front of him but he is not budging. Any ideas? I’ve tried peanut butter, broth, and egg toppings. Chicken and rice, normal kibble, but nothing is getting him to eat.

· Super Moderator
31,666 Posts
Were they giving him anything at the vet (nutrition-wise, I mean)?

Anyway, it has been about 2 days since he last ate, after a major case of gastritis? Yes he needs to start eating, but I don't know that it is anything to absolutely panic about at this point.

What did the vet say about how soon he should start eating again?

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
They kept him on IVs the Whole time he was there until he started being more active and eventually bit the IV off. He actually starts pulling when walking now as if he’s scoping things out instead of looking pitiful. They gave my meds and one is a appetite booster. I’ll probably go to the store and grab him some yogurt and force feed him until he starts eating himself honestly. He needs something. I know I can force solids, but I’m looking for something that could help his digestion and create stool for him to get on a good cycle.

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The only thing he’s been doing since he got home is sleeping. He is walking around the house and walking up to us now. He wasnt doing that at all before he left. I trued feeding him this morning w his meds. He threw the eggs back up. I am getting him some yogurt to feed him that later. I am also going to give him some pedialyte to keep him hydrated if he doesnt drink his water. I am calling the vet to let them know how he’s doing and what I’m doing before hand to make sure it wont make him worse. Hopefully he’s just tired and needs to rest. I really would love to see him at normal by the weekend.

· Registered
268 Posts
Can only guess something inside is still pretty tender, unless you can keep him still and give him IV try getting him to take water. I can suggest perhaps some baby food, already mush and quite easy for him to digest along with his meds. Meat based baby foods if possible. Just a little and wait up to an hour to allow digestion... small amount of plain yogurt with probiotic is also a good call. Even after he does start eating I would suggest bland food such as trusty chicken & rice mashed up if need be.

Please keep us updated, hoping he eats on his own soon.

· Super Moderator
23,789 Posts
Often after a vet visit for a very upset stomach vets will give a prescription diet that is easily digested (I think we've usually ended up with Hill's I/D: Hill's Prescription Diet i/d with Turkey Wet Dog Food). They are formulated for very easy digestion. You might call the vet and ask about that. If not, I would suggest something like boiled chicken and rice, in very small meals, which is another easy to digest meal.

Reactions: dax0402 and MMcCown

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I gave him some Greek yogurt and strawberries. He started licking but wouldnt eat. I force fed him and gave him pedialyte to rinse it down. I thought he was doing good when I walked him he threw up. He’s popping blood Rn. I’m pretty sure he needs to poop something out. Whenever he throws up it’s green no matter what he eats. But on the bright side slowly but surely he seems to be getting his energy back and you can hear water in him when he bounces during the walk. At least he don’t seem dehydrated anymore but he has definitely lost weight. Once he starts eating normally again I’m going to have to bulk him up. He’s all ribs now. A little progress is better than him going backwards.

· Super Moderator
31,666 Posts
I'd head for the vet again too. Or at the very least, call them and tell them about the vomit and the blood in the stools as well as him not eating.

Sometimes dogs have partial blockages which seem to be moving along, but end up being a total blockage. And that needs more treatment, maybe even surgery. But if something is truly stuck in there, it generally won't come out on its own.

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Often after a vet visit for a very upset stomach vets will give a prescription diet that is easily digested (I think we've usually ended up with Hill's I/D: Hill's Prescription Diet i/d with Turkey Wet Dog Food). They are formulated for very easy digestion. You might call the vet and ask about that. If not, I would suggest something like boiled chicken and rice, in very small meals, which is another easy to digest meal.
I tried the boiled chicken and rice prior to taking him in. Again the day were picked him up. He’s keeping the yogurt and pedialyte down so far. Showing lots more energy as well. Just have to get him eating solids. I’m hoping solid food will help him poop it out. I may go to force feeding baby food or blending the kibble down tomorrow to see if I can get him pay the diarrhea. If he can get past that then he should be set assuming he doesn’t throw up again tonight. I called the vet earlier today while I was walking him. They are going to call me back tomorrow. They may want me to bring him in for a follow up. I’m hoping he won’t need it though.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.