Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to start off by saying that I feel awfully horrible for my dog, and his ears. I believe I wrapped the ear too tight and it developed necrosis, leading him to lose ear tissue. I took him to the vet today, and they gave me 2 suggestions: re-crop the ears to avoid spreading OR give him medication for 2 weeks and let it possibly heal on its own. I bought the medication but now I’m having second thoughts, thinking that the Re-crop will be a better option. Do you guys think it will spread more? All I want is for him to be painless and happy. If he has a few scars, I wouldn’t mind - as long as they’re completely healed! PLEASE help me out, this is my first Doberman.
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Mammal Ear
Jaw Gesture Finger Nail Safety glove

·
Big Lil pup
7,540 Posts
Hi Joanne. Welcome to Dt, even if it is under these less than ideal circumstances,

If it were me, I would not risk further loss of the ear. I would re-crop the ears. I am not a vet, but it sure looks that the ear will have to be cosmetically repaired at some time. And I would think the sooner, and the younger, the better. The ears will be short, but at least the pup won't lose the ear. And that can happen.

We had to do this once. Not due to necrosis, but for another medical reason that I won't go into. The end result was fine. The ears were much shorter than a contemporary doberman crop, but they ended up looking ok on a dog that was always meant to be a pet/companion. Nobody ever even commented on them. Also, if you do decide to re-crop your puppy's ears, I suggest that you use a very competent ear cropping surgeon, who can get the best results with what remains of the ear.

I am sorry for what you and the pup are going through. But whatever you end up doing he'll be the same pup. Just with different ears.

Please update, whatever you decide

John L.
Portland OR

·
Registered
171 Posts
Looks like a recrop for the better. it will be a shorter military crop but as long as it heals him. Also consider having the vet post the next time if you cannot do it. Regardless of whichever option, you have to take care of those ears and heal em 24/7

1 - 4 of 4 Posts