Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

how long will it take to kennel train him?

• 1 month

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2 months

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3 months

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • longer than 3 months?

Votes: 1 50.0%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have had my doberman for about 3 years now. He is so intelligent and so fun. He has a few problems though and I don't know how to go about training him.. :confused:

His name is smokey hes black and rust. He's is full of energy 24/7. I live in salt lake city currently.

Smokeys had a few issues since lack of training. iwill fully admit that is my fault 100%
We also have two other smaller dogs in the house.. A chihuahua(male about 6 years old) that we rescued who is pad trained and another mix dog (female) that my sister has who is pad trained also..

My mother and I work and my sisters are quite lazy.. It seems we all need to work together to get smokey trained and to be what a average family would call normal..

I go to school and leave at 7-1 in the afternoon then head to work at 1:30-6

That means the dogs all three can be home sometimes from 10-7 or even 9-11 at night!
I know this is a problem..
Smokey currently isnt fully potty trained at 3.. he still goes in the house because sometimes nobody is available to let him out.. Sometimes when we are home he still goes in the home because he is territorial (what I personally think) he sometimes pees on the corner of the couch and poops in the front room. He is intelligent dog but I just want to better him. He also loves to chew up anything and everything he can barks is very rough with the smaller dogs also.. He doesn't listen at all. Ever. I can get him to with a treat sit,shake and lay down.. also The couch my moms sheets.. Im not sure if its the other dogs around him that makes him act out.. or what.. I just want to help him and make him a better dog..

For everyone not for myself..
I know i can start with exercising him. I need to start running him maybe getting him into a

I've tried to train him. but i give and i know i shouldn't. i need to crate train him also.. is that impossible at 3 years?

· Always Grateful
6,954 Posts
Is this for real? Are you saying that a vibrant intelligent athletic Doberman is confined to the house for sometimes 12-13 hours at a time with no outside breaks or exercise? If so, I beg you to give that dog up to a Doberman rescue immediately so that HE CAN LIVE A NORMAL LIFE AS HE DESERVES. To keep a Doberman like this would constitute animal cruelty in my book.

· Premium Member
8,050 Posts
1st the small dogs are everyone's responsibility to keep safe your Doberman is bored out of his mind I'm surprised the little dogs are not dead. Doberman's play extremely rough but that is normal for them.
House breaking 101 :
If you take them out on about a 6 ft leash it helps keep them focused tell them go potty ,hurry up or what ever words you want to use just use the same words each time. Stand in one spot let them go all around you till they find the spot then Praise like it is the greatest thing you ever saw. If they do not go in about 20 minutes go back in and crate them or tie them to you them go back out in about 30 minutes.pups need to go out after naps,playing, eating & drinking 1st thing in the morning last thing at night depending on the age of the pup you may need to take them out at night too. Always use a pet urine enzyme to clean up all traces of urine or feces you can use a black light to find all traces. It takes about 3-6 months of contestant training to house break a pup the more accidents they have the longer it takes. Hang a bell on the door you go out you ring it until the pup gets the idea how to ring it yes sometimes they ring it to go look at a squirrel but its a phase they go though you just have to go though it with them. Do not forget to praise each time they go to reinforce the potty training. If you are consistent you will also have a pup/dog that will go potty on command comes in handy when it rains,snow, is icy, on a trip at night . People will think you are a amazing trainer too. Good Luck with your new baby.
Are you going out each time with him and making sure he goes and praising every time he goes I believe it is important to ask them if they need to go potty or what ever words you want to use same words each time though. When he is playing you might ask him if he needs to go like a little reminder. I still to this day ask mine if they want to go if they have been in the house awhile.If you hang bells on the door if you ring them each time when taking him out he will learn to ring the bells on his own. This system really works just have to be consistent with it.Hang in there.Does not matter how old the pup or dog is this works at any age.
If you have no time for your Doberman please do what is best for him call a rescue so he can have the life he needs and deserves.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I honestly don't think any of you understand. I am trying my hardest. I do have the time I just need help. I already am committed to taking him out every single night at 6:30 when I get home from work. I'm honestly wondering how long I should run him for nightly an play outside. I do not want to give up smokey. It was a very rare occasion him being inside for 12 hours. How can I get him to not be so rough with the little dogs? I love him so much. Nobody understands it. He is the best thing that's ever happened to me and I just want to help him despite what anyone says.. How can I start training him and get him on a good schedule?

· Registered
316 Posts
I can see that you are distressed and obviously you love smokey and don't want to lose him. But you have to ask yourself is it fair to keep him by himself all this time. You say your schedule is better now, like how. What are your hours away from home now? When he's home alone, where are the other dogs? What about the rest of the family, do they stay away from the house just as long as you?

I would start by taking him for a LONG run in the morning before you leave. Then in the afternoon if you come gone another run or free play in a park or big yard. Then when you come home another LONG run. This way you will tire him out. Also you should think about taking him to obedience classes once a week on the weekend maybe. Then you will learn how to train your boy. And you can do training sessions in the afternoon before you leave for work.

In terms of potty training, well like the others said, this will take a bit of time especially if he has a bad habit, but it is doable. Hopefully if you tire him out morning and night he'll be too zonked out to get into mischief.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thank you for your response that was actually genuine and helpful. Not that I'm an awful person... I usually wake up around 6 leave at 7 for school my mom is home up until anywhere 9-12 I get out of school around 12:30 - 1 have to leave around 1:45 to be to work. That gives me time to run him after I shower and before work correct? I want to kennel train him cause that would only be 3 hours of alone time Til I ran him a half hour. He's a great dog, I am willing here on out to do anything. Even if it includes all my savings as a student still in high school. I feel terrible about the way I've gone about things and just what to make him happy. He should need a large kennel? I've already considered taking a whole week off of school to try an get him on a schedule so that I can make this work out

· Registered
316 Posts
Okay so he really isn't alone for the first half of the day if your mum is home. If I were you I'd get up an hour earlier so you're not rushed in the morning and be able to take him for a run.

So try this

5.00 wake up
5.30 go for a 45 min run
6.30 get ready for school

When you get home in the afternoon (until you learn obedience) take him for a 20-30 min good play -fetch or frisbee.

Then for the time he's alone, maybe keep him in a separate room where he can't get into trouble. A crate would be good, but you can't just leave him in it and expect him to like it. That will need a bit of time and positive training. But like I said hopefully he will be tired enough to just relax. Also leave him some toys filled with treats like the kong. There are a few good ideas about filling them with things and freezing them so they're harder to get out.

Then when you get home another big run. Not just a walk a run. He's 3yrs old and should be able to handle it. Or if you have some friends that have female dogs of the same size you can meet for a good doggy play. Just make sure they are opposite sex and introduce them first properly.

I really think if you start by tiring him out EVERY day he'll get better. As everyone has said, a tired dobe is a good dobe.

Good luck. Keep us updated.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you so much for your help. What Should I do about the other smaller dogs an him rough housing them? I would enjoy to teach him as many new things as I can. I feel like the other dogs are just toys that he is so big he jas no one to play with. I am going to start going with that schedule an running around with him in the snow daily. I live in the woods so he loves running through the tree with me.
How SHLULD I go about training him to walk with me? Or SHLULD I start first running him before I even consider walking next to Me?

· Banned
7,478 Posts
All I have to add is this -- I had a chihuahua in my youth, and she went outside, in -30 to do her business. Ugh. What laziness to not train these dogs, small or large.

· Registered
316 Posts
Thank you so much for your help. What Should I do about the other smaller dogs an him rough housing them? I would enjoy to teach him as many new things as I can. I feel like the other dogs are just toys that he is so big he jas no one to play with. I am going to start going with that schedule an running around with him in the snow daily. I live in the woods so he loves running through the tree with me.
How SHLULD I go about training him to walk with me? Or SHLULD I start first running him before I even consider walking next to Me?
Oh I wasn't aware he's not good on a lead yet. Well then you def need to train him with that first. I would get him to obedience training ASAP.

Until then playing fetch is a good tiring activity. Maybe use a flirt pole. I'm not very experienced at all but all I know is a that if you tire them out they are less crazy.

About your other dogs, well I would do as the others suggest, separate them unless you are there. Once again I think his rough housing is due to all his energy. But you should be responsible and keep them separate as he might hurt them accidentally.

I like your idea about taking some time off to devote time yo training. But you need to be equipped with what and how to train. Just taking time off to be with him without knowing how to deal with him won't help. So get in touch with a trainer. If you can afford it, perhaps get a trainer to do some one on one at home.

· Premium Member
69 Posts
It sounds like Smokey is very bored. You need to get him out for walks and runs a LOT more than you have been. A tired and happy Dobe will much less destructive. However, you need to be honest with yourself. Do you really have the time to devote to Smokey? If not, do the right thing and get him into a Rescue. But if you do have the time to devote to Smokey, you should see a difference with training and exercise.

I have a female Dobe and 2 small male dogs. While my girl, for the most part, is pretty good with the little ones, I NEVER leave them alone unattended as she could very easily hurt them, even if it was just in play. However, you have a male Dobe and a male Chihuahua. A male Dobe with another male, is not a good mix. Be very cautious as Smokey could easily turn on the male.

I'd also suggest you and Smokey take some obedience classes together. If you could get your mother and sisters to go along with you, it would help ensure everyone is more consistent with training Smokey.

Good luck.:)

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I plan on doing a 8 week course for 800$ once a week am hour am I choose 8 things to go over, I'll be making sure obidence, crate training, lead will be for sure. I appreciate your guys help. Any suggestions for starting to teach how to walk? Or obidencd school first.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.