Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME BEFORE I STRANGLE MY 1.5 YEAR OLD MALE DOBERMAN!!!!!

Over the past 3 weeks - he's chewed on magazines.... hats.... post it notes.... dish clothes.... toilet paper... and even my $300 corkscrew leather pouch. WHAT GIVES!!??!!!!

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
How much exercise is he getting every day? What sorts of mental stimulation? What are you doing to wear out your dog everyday? Sounds like he is bored.

You could try bitter-apple spray, this wont work 100% of the time though as some dogs are actually in love with the stuff. Also it is really not a solution to your problem in the long run.

I suggest you pick up everything you don't want to be chewed on. Don't give him access to the whole house, maybe one safe room or a crate while you aren't home. Also I would keep him attached to you with a leash (tie him to your belt loop/waist etc) when you can't keep both eyes on him.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I take him for an hour run in the morning.... then my husband comes home and takes him for another hour in the afternoon... What else are we supposed to do? do you have any suggestions? specifically? is there something you've tired that worked for you?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i only left him for not even an hour and a bit this afternoon... and wammo - post it notes are all chewed up...

·
Alpha
8,119 Posts
I take him for an hour run in the morning.... then my husband comes home and takes him for another hour in the afternoon... What else are we supposed to do? do you have any suggestions? specifically? is there something you've tired that worked for you?
with dobes.. exercise is not everything.. they need to work there brains !!

i had a friend recently who was at her wits end with her year old dobe.. she told me she didnt have any more time in a day to do any more walks..

i told her to cut her walks down by half an hour.. and do some mental exercise instead..

sits. down. stay.. teach him a trick like roll over.. catch , tug. fetch etc..

she called me the next day to say her dobe was the happoest she had seen her in ages..

my dogs only go out for about half an hour a day.. but i do training daily.. like above.. sits stays roll overs.. leave it..

i work there brains.. thats what wears them out !

give it a try.. you will end up with a better trained dog.. and a happy one !!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
we crated him from the very minute we got him home... should we go back to that? seems a bit mean... but hey! if it keeps him from chewing up my brand new US weekly mag - I'm in!! also - he's never been left alone for more then seven hours at a time... we both work... so it's the best we can do...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i will try the mental stuff - thanks... i can't take anymore chewing... and you know, it's never my husbands stuff - only mine... i don't get it... is he mad at me?

·
Alpha
8,119 Posts
we crated him from the very minute we got him home... should we go back to that? seems a bit mean... but hey! if it keeps him from chewing up my brand new US weekly mag - I'm in!! also - he's never been left alone for more then seven hours at a time... we both work... so it's the best we can do...
wow seven hours.. i would never leave my dogs that long !! not every day.. maybe in an emergency !!

i dont like crates but they do work.. mine stay in a safe room.. the kitchen.. nothing is left but a bed and water.. they sleep while im gone..

too much freedom gives them too much to think about.. and they get naughty..

try one safe room.. utility.. kithcen.. even bathroom.. so he is safe and away from thing to chew !!

·
Registered
35 Posts
The first thing has already been suggested; create a "safe" area that you can put your dog in when you need to leave him unattended. Pick up anything you do not want chewed on including furniture. If you do not have the facilities to create a safe room you have two other choices; crating or muzzling.

I'm not a crate person myself and I had only one dog that I used a muzzle on(unexpected work opportunity). The muzzle I used was an open wire type where she could eat and drink but that was all her teeth could get close to. I still provided balls and other toys she could knock around while I was out. When I returned home, she was exercised, played with and got some nice big joint bones to gnaw on. Mind you, this is no substitute to just up and leave a young dog alone all the time. This was a temporary measure until I came up with a more suitable arrangement.

Dobermans are smart dogs with incredibly active minds and they need to be mentally stimulated more than most. Physical activity is not enough.

There are many things you can do to keep your dog's mind and mouth busy while you are out. My 2 favorites were to freeze something tasty inside a Kong and to soak tennis balls in a broth then dried in a dish rack. I've even gotten those horse balls shaped like an apple, hung them from the ceiling with heavy plant hooks and spread something yummy on them. You will still have to dog proof a room or area when using the above as well as take into consideration the calories consumed.

Good luck.

·
Registered
35 Posts
i will try the mental stuff - thanks... i can't take anymore chewing... and you know, it's never my husbands stuff - only mine... i don't get it... is he mad at me?
I'm not sitting right there watching you interact with your dog but my first suspicion is that your dog may consider your hubby the boss and you are under him(your dog) in the pecking order. Or it's just that your things are more convenient to get to.

If it's the former, you AND your husband must act is a similar manner about ALL things and be consistent. Take turns or together do the feeding, walking and the like so that neither of you do it more than the other. Never let your dog walk in front of you or through a door first, etc.

If your things are easier to get to then you have some picking up and storing to do.

Seven hours is a long time for a dog such as a Doberman to be without directed activity and mental stimulation. They are working dogs that require a time commitment and a structured environment. Only you can truly decide what kind of commitments you can make and how creative you can be in making them happen.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
27,007 Posts
My experience has been that the dog chews on the things of the person he is more closely attached to--sorta like sitting down with something special that reminds you of someone and snuggling with it--only dogs snuggle with their mouths!

At any rate, dogs do NOT do things to get EVEN or because they are mad at someone--they're just not made that way.

I would try to set up a safe room or use an X-pen to confine your dog, because you have to be gone for so long. A crate for 7 hours seems too long to me--don't give him run of the whole house, but try to figure out some way he can have enough room to move around, but still be out of trouble.

·
Registered
138 Posts
doggy daycare and basic obedience classes make the world go round! sounds like he needs some stimulation and discipline. a tired dog who knows the rules and has a job makes for a happy home! He is at that age where he will assert himself more and his exercise needs are at their peak. gotta love the doberteens...

·
Registered
841 Posts
All of the above - especially the training! We did the one hour run/one hour walk thing and nearly went crazy because it was never enough. Do one hour run, half hour walk, 2x15 minutes of rapid-fire training and he'll be much happier.

Also, if you have to leave him alone - can someone come in and let him out/play with him/take him for a walk?

Do they still have those timed Kong dispensers? I've heard those work quite nicely.
Ah, here' the link: Product Review: Kongtime! Automatic Kong Dispenser! | Dog Reflections

And of course, do not leave ANYTHING out ... by about 2,5 years, he should be doing much better with that!

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Since I have a husband that is sorta a non-dog person I crated Buddy until he was 2 years and about 4 months old then only left him loose to start 30minutes then added time of being loose.So far he only has taken a Kleenex out of the trash, nothing less knock on wood I did not want to listen to hubby if Buddy destroyed something big like the couch. Worked Buddy is loose in the house when we leave he just sleeps while we are gone but we leave the radio on for him & Patches who is crated.You pup is too young to be left loose for 7 hours you are asking for trouble + if he eats something he should not it can kill him he can get an obstruction ,bloat die if he does not get to the vet in time.If I was you I would crate him and not feel bad about it at all saving his life is more important thanyou feeling bad about him being in a crate.Remember boys are slower to mature than girls. Good Luck with your Fur Kid.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
If there is no "safe" room you can put an x-pen around a crate away from things so he can't reach them. Then leave a few toys and bones in there with him.

I don't think being alone for 7 hours is that big of a deal if you give him mental and physical stimulation when you are home. Take him to an obedience class, and after he learns the basics, maybe a trick class? Or agility?

·
Registered
841 Posts
You probably just have more interesting stuff:) Take it as a compliment!

·
Premium Member
8,858 Posts
yes - crate him if he can't be trusted in the house. It is not cruel, and 7 hours is not excessive for a year old dog as long as he is getting lots of exercise and attention the rest of the time. There are some good kongs and such out there to keep him busy when he goes in the crate.

Reactions: Aphrodite
1 - 20 of 25 Posts