Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been researching hours and hours on end and can't seem to find a breeder I really like. I am located in Manitoba Canada. I have been looking at Hilltop Haven Dobermans as they are only a couple hours away BUT I have been doing some research and it seems they don't completely health test? and she only has red/rust puppies available and I am set on black... but I do really love the look of her dogs and her current litter is coming from Europe so the parents have all the ZTP temperament testing... but I'm sure I could find a similar quality dog WITH all the proper health tests and titling, I'm just not quite sure where!

I don't like Dobereich dobermans as they look a little too American to me.
I don't care about size but I do want really rich dark mahogany tan colouring. And a thicker, European build...but still too standard of course.

I am looking for strong working/schutzhund/obedience lines.

I am not looking to spend more than $5000 including shipping. I am willing to ship from anywhere but I feel like if I'm going to spend that much I want to get EXACTLY what I'm looking for in a dog. & I want the best of the best :)

Can anyone help me out, or have any suggestions? :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I am not looking to spend more than $5000 including shipping. I am willing to ship from anywhere but I feel like if I'm going to spend that much I want to get EXACTLY what I'm looking for in a dog. & I want the best of the best :)

Have you checked these two sites? I am sure you can import a good puppy from Europe with your budget.

Dobermann Review current litters

Dobermann.com Puppies

by the way...I hope you have experience in handling the sort of dog you are looking for..

·
Registered
343 Posts
Iceman is right, with your budget you could import from just about anywhere if you found 'the' dog for you. He's also right in asking if you've ever had experience with a working line bred dog of a serious working breed. It can be a bit of a challenge at times raising a tough minded,smart, driven and confident puppy to be a well behaved and reliable adult! Rewarding as all get out, you bet! But will you earn every bit of that reward, oh yeah you will<G> Best of luck in your search! With any luck we'll get a pup at about the same time, will be fun to share photos with everyone!

·
Love the Nub
4,897 Posts
Sol storm Dobermanns in KY. Personally, I wouldn't import. When you say thicker, I think you're just wanting a Dobe who is not fine boned. There are some NA lines with good bone, so I wouldn't completely rule it out.

·
Registered
343 Posts
She'd be importing if she bought in the States<G> Tons of dogs out there, find what you like, with a breeder you feel comfortable with, and enjoy all the challenges and good times a new puppy brings with them! Cost of the dog doesn't reflect quality though, there are a lot of producers out there getting ridiculous sums of money for puppies. I truly have seen some absurd pricing structures, it astounds me sometimes these people can get what they ask!

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Just be very careful who you trust. You're probably going to get some PMs about this breeder or that, maybe a member has a puppy for sale. You cannot trust everyone who is a member here as we have backyard breeders (byb) or byb promoters who belong.

What will cut out most of the questionable breeders is the lack of titles on the dogs they breed. One or two grandparents may be titled, but to know the true possible quality of the puppy you buy both the parents should have a working title...a real working title of at the very least an IPO1 or SCH1 and preferably an IPO2 or 3 or same SCH title. There's a lot of titles out there that don't mean much when it comes to working ability and MOST don't have anything to do with working ability at all.

Just be very careful and check out breeders very well or you will be sucked in by a byb breeding euros so they don't have to get a real job or use breeding as a sideline for extra cash.

Probably be a good idea to run names by here BEFORE you put a deposit down on a puppy.

·
Registered
43 Posts
fu **! I wrote a long story but it disappeared, arg ..
that is,
working dog will certainly be already known if you've been looking for European dogs and the litters are studied ..
Pentuearkisto ? working-dog
Germany ZTP is the breeding and registration as a condition also required working result.
be careful because some breeders did not think of heart problems and also I have heard von willebrat result fakes.

funny I'm looking for myself a dog from another direction that I would get a new line of imported and used in the future perhaps some of its own females or males to connect the lines: D

·
Registered
742 Posts
I have been researching hours and hours on end and can't seem to find a breeder I really like. I am located in Manitoba Canada. I have been looking at Hilltop Haven Dobermans as they are only a couple hours away BUT I have been doing some research and it seems they don't completely health test? and she only has red/rust puppies available and I am set on black... but I do really love the look of her dogs and her current litter is coming from Europe so the parents have all the ZTP temperament testing... but I'm sure I could find a similar quality dog WITH all the proper health tests and titling, I'm just not quite sure where!

I don't like Dobereich dobermans as they look a little too American to me.
I don't care about size but I do want really rich dark mahogany tan colouring. And a thicker, European build...but still too standard of course.

I am looking for strong working/schutzhund/obedience lines.

Can anyone help me out, or have any suggestions? :)

Thanks!
Hi, I am in Cold Lake, Alberta. The dobermann "scene" in canada is very small, and the working dobe scene in north america is even smaller.

A decision needs to be made from your point of view... do you want a working dog or do you want a euro show dog?? They are not the same... many euro show dogs have sch titles on paper but they are won on their home field on their own helper with a judge who looks the other way.

There are also many working bred dog that are a lot of dog and way too much for a newbie to handle. There is a definate difference between a euro show and a euro working dog in drive and in looks. The euro show dogs have a high energy level which is not the same as a high drive level. Most I have seen can run around all day and go for hikes but actual drive and focus for work is missing.

So you need to be more specific... how deep do you want to get into training?
What is the quality of clubs in your area? How accessible is training? how much are you willing to sacrifice to train? (ie travel, seminar, fees, etc). What level of trainer are you and how much dog can you handle?

I have seen the website for hilltop, but I haven't seen these ppl in any trials of any sort or any shows of any sort. So when it comes to puppy selection they haven't walked the walk to be able to talk the talk when it comes to puppy selection for a real working home. As well those dogs are super heavy so things like jumps and staying sound over a working career will be tricky. If of course the ppl from this kennel would like to dispute this feel free to post proof of accomplishments.

Tamara

1 - 10 of 10 Posts