Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a beautiful, well rounded, 6 year old albino doberman named Barrette, hes been my best friend since day one when i picked him up... (no i did not purchase him from a breeder) i rescued him when he was a day old, the breeders had left him to die in a cooler in an alley, to my knowledge, just because he is albino...
recently i have noticed a lump on his left side located just in front of his leg on his abdomen. its round in shape and seems to move slightly when i apply pressure to the area, it doesnt seem to cause him pain when im applying pressure, although he has been doing some quiet moaning, and whinning while laying down.. as he is an older dog he does alot of lying down, and enjoys just being by your side, . yesterday i noticed another lump under his skin just like the previous one, but its more located behind the shoulder on the side of his abdomen but on the same side of the previous one.
also not sure if this is pertaining with information to these bumps but Barrette had also cut his paw of his foot open while running through the bush last summer, and it took almost 6 months to fully heal, on account of he kept tearing it back open, and refused to keep it wraped...
iv made an appointment with my vet, but sadly cannot get in untill the end of next month, an thats the only vet in my area!
just wondering if you have any experience with this or something like this nd if you have any suggestions on what this could be..... im very worried that it may be malignant, and ill have to have him euthanized because of his age :(
any advice or suggestions or stories on simulair experiences would be greatly apreciated, feel free to email me

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Bless you for rescuing this pup, well dog now. A cooler in an alley? Unbelievable.

No advice on the lumps. We had a 13 year old with lumps that ended up being malignant...but not saying your dog's are. I know how you feel, waiting is worse than knowing sometimes.

Vibes that it's something benign to you and your boy.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Lipomas or fatty tumors are very common in dobermans. They are generally benign and appear with age.

Seeing a vet is the correct thing to do to check it out. Sorry you can’t get in to your vet sooner. You could try Chatham which is only 20 minutes away. The have about 6 vet practices in the town

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
6 years old isn't very old actually--I sure wouldn't consider that as an age when surgery would not be an option, if he does need the lumps removed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
6 years old isn't very old actually--I sure wouldn't consider that as an age when surgery would not be an option, if he does need the lumps removed.

I was told that albino dogs live shorter and there life expectancy are 7 years at best, i also researched zfactor dogs in the registry, and there are very few that live past the 7 year mark, with only a select few living between 7 and 9 years ..... is there any truth to that at all?

·
Registered
16,038 Posts
I was told that albino dogs live shorter and there life expectancy are 7 years at best, i also researched zfactor dogs in the registry, and there are very few that live past the 7 year mark, with only a select few living between 7 and 9 years ..... is there any truth to that at all?
I've seen a couple or more on the internet live till 12 & 13 which I admit surprised me. Any doberman can die at seven and even less.

As long as you take good care of your dog and it doesn't get dealt a bad hand in genes, which can happen with any doberman, I think you can expect it to live as long as a normal dobe.

Are you using sunscreen on it when outside? That's very important as they are more susceptible to skin cancers.

I know how you feel about being scared of tumour results, but waiting or sticking you head in the sand only causes you unnecessary worry when it may be nothing which was the case with my boy long ago.

And how about some pictures of your Barrette...we love pictures of dobermans around here!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts