Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

Im hoping some of you can shed some light. My patience is running super thin and I feel horrible for the crap Im putting my pup through.

My dogs ears have been cropped and standing since he was 9 weeks old. I have tried every method, tampon, popsicle sticks, even the cool head gear made out of wire hangers. (I did a wikked job on them considering Im the biggest girly girl and I just followed the youtube vids.)
ANYHOW! The easiest has to be the tampons but every kind of tape I use rips out all my dogs hair from his ears. Its starting to annoy me because not only am I ripping off the hair but I have to put them up again, so the constant applying and removing is irritating him and sometimes ripping flesh! I keep having to leave them off for a couple of days for the ear to heal.. its driving me nuts!

Diesel is the cutest and I want his damn ears to stand up already. Any suggestions on tape that wont hurt but still holds tight? or ANY new ways in which to hold his ears up? They are still so floppy.. he can only hold it up for 2 or 3 days before falling again.

HELPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Have you tried the foam "backer rod" method? This is the best method I've used. I only use Johnson and Johnson Coach's tape, which you can get at WalMart or Walgreens. It is similar to Zonas tape. You should always use some kind of adhesive remover when removing posts... I use Goo Gone, but Orange Oil or a medical adhesive remover like Unisolve work very well too. Take a q-tip, dip it in adhesive remover, and run it along the edge of the tape as you remove the tape. If you work at it with the soaked q-tip before pulling on the tape, removing the tape will be much easier.

Edit to add: Your posting will be finished much sooner if you never actually let the ears fall!! Don't just take out the posts and leave them for a couple of days until they start getting soft. When you let them fall you are losing the progress you made with the previous posting. Never let them fall or get soft. Post for 3-5 days, take the posts out, clean the ears, let them dry and put them right back up within 30 minutes or so. How old is he now?

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Do you use any baby powder on the ears? I've never lost any hair with taping, but I put tons of baby powder on the ears. It does mean they come off 1-2 days sooner, but it's easier on the dog.

·
Registered
370 Posts
OK, What I would do is, get a mans beard trimmer or shaver and shave the hair from inside the ear. Clean it off really well.

Now if you do the tampon, get some Johnson and Johnson sports tape ( For me this worked better ) and wrap it around the tampon STICKY SIDE OUT.

( some people even get medical glue like Skin bond type ) go to a medical supply store and they put a thin coat on the inside of the ear and let it get " tacky " then put the wrapped tampon in. Make sure its snug inside the ear canal. Have a few strips of the Sports tape ready so you can wrap it to the ear . Some hair will come off, dont think theres any way around it.

If all else fails maybe go to your breeder and have them do it a couple times .

·
Registered
78 Posts
You should always use some kind of adhesive remover when removing posts... I use Goo Gone, but Orange Oil or a medical adhesive remover like Unisolve work very well too.
The adhesive remover is a must have for me as well. I use Unisolve, and it is sold by the bottle and in little individually packaged wipes. Both are available on Amazon. I take the bottle and "dribble" it along the outside of the ear on the tape and then gently along the backer rod post on the inside. From there, you'd make your cuts in the tape wrapping the ear (careful of the little ear fold bit!), and the tape comes right off. Work along the post with a Unisolve wipe and gently separate the inner ear/hair from the post.

If you go straight from bottle to ear, be careful of it dripping into their ear canal. Place a cotton ball in there or the pup will be shaking it's head like crazy afterwards and could get their ear tips swollen from all the shaking (this has happened to me more times than I care to admit).

Best of luck!!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I use Unisolve adhesive remover (and a lot of it!) when removing the tape. It works well.

Diesel is cute and he has a lovely crop!

·
Luv-The-Nub
1,058 Posts
I use goo gone -only takes a little. I agree not to give them the chance to fall, re post as soon as they are clean and dry. Btw how old is your puppy?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Nice crop and they appear to be standing. Do you mean the tips fall inward after a while? It looks like the bell is firm and I don't see any crink. If you think you have to continue posting, you may want to use VetWrap. You have to make sure you DO NOT pull it when you apply it as it can tighten up and cut off circulation. Many on here will advise you against VW, but I have used it without issue.

If the ears are standing well except for the tips, you may want to look on here about the Breathe Rite Strips method. Many recommend using eyelash glue or skinbond brand adhesive to keep the BRS on. I think you're closer to done than you think.

·
Dobes stole my heart <3
3,418 Posts
I have used an adhesive solvent to remove tape from ears, and it works great! no fuss and no hair pulling at all.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
The others have given you great advice...just wanted to say you have a beautiful pup and I love the crop :)

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,322 Posts
In a inch you can even try baby oil (mineral oil) to help you remove the tape. Put it on liberally with a q-tip or your fingers, let it sit for a minute or two and then use your oil-coated fingers between tape and ear to remove the tape. Remember to wipe the oil off of his ears really well with a paper towel before you post them again.

I would guess something like unisolve works better--but baby oil can be easily found in any drug or grocery store :)

He does have nice ears!

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I just had to comment because your pups name is Diesel and I have a Diesel as well :)

Anyway the first time I took Diesels ears down I had the same issue with the hair. I then learnd about unisolve and it worked amazingly! Diesel never had any issues with it or was in pain.

I love his crop! Beautiful pup.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts