Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Dear All,,

First of all its my pleasure to join you guys , I’m from Riyadh the capital of Saudi Arabia and 2 days ago I’ve received my Dobermann puppy but really I had a lot of issues with him and I need your help..

First of all regarding the play time Guedo play all day and night long I can’t make him calm other thing regarding the sleep time and this is the worst part !! when I put him in his room alone he barks and barks and barks !! then I put his cage in my room and for 3 hours he slept well but at dawn again he barks and I took him out in the yard and directly he pissed but after that he wanted to play and I can’t play with him at 4 am because I have a work at 8 so what should I do ??

So based on the mentioned above its obvious that Guedo wanted to be with me or with a family member all the time 24/7 and this for sure will not work with me?
Any solutions for my big problem?

Finally when should we start the obedience classes ?
Thanks in advance <3
Kind Regards,
Ahmed

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, your dog will want to be with you!! How old is he?
thanks for the reply ,,

he's 2 months old ,, and i know that he wanted to be with us for all the time but when i said this will not work for me i meant that i have a work to go to and there is my sleep time any time in between for sure i'll be available.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Dobermans were developed and bred to be personal protection dogs. They have an inborn need to be with their owner, plus dogs are pack animals, too. At that age, he should play hard for around an hour and then sleep for around four hours, then the cycle starts again. Make sure he is worn out at night before you put him to bed. A tired pup is a good pup. He should be able to sleep thru the night, till 6 am in a couple of weeks. Just put him back in crate and dont play with him at night. He has to learn nite is not playtime. Also make sure he is tired and ready to sleep before you go to work. He will learn he has to be alone at times. He will need a pee/poo break around 4 hours after you leave. Do you have someone or can you come home for lunch to let him out of crate and play/tire him before going back into crate? It will be a while before he can wait longer than 4 hrs during the day. Maybe you could put him in an exercise pen while your at work. You can train him to mess his crate if you dont let him out often

·
Registered
793 Posts
Welcome to our fabulous world of dobermans! We don't own them they own us. lol. I have not had an 8 hours night of sleep since 9/10 the night before we brought our precious girl home. It's like having a baby in the house all over again. Enjoy the 4am wake up calls. Before you know it they are all grown up and you will actually miss the puppy days. I know hard to believe now but for sure you will miss them. Good luck!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dobermans were developed and bred to be personal protection dogs. They have an inborn need to be with their owner, plus dogs are pack animals, too. At that age, he should play hard for around an hour and then sleep for around four hours, then the cycle starts again. Make sure he is worn out at night before you put him to bed. A tired pup is a good pup. He should be able to sleep thru the night, till 6 am in a couple of weeks. Just put him back in crate and dont play with him at night. He has to learn nite is not playtime. Also make sure he is tired and ready to sleep before you go to work. He will learn he has to be alone at times. He will need a pee/poo break around 4 hours after you leave. Do you have someone or can you come home for lunch to let him out of crate and play/tire him before going back into crate? It will be a while before he can wait longer than 4 hrs during the day. Maybe you could put him in an exercise pen while your at work. You can train him to mess his crate if you dont let him out often

thanks for the informative reply .. I'll do my best to follow your directions and hopefully Guedo will sleep tight today.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome to our fabulous world of dobermans! We don't own them they own us. lol. I have not had an 8 hours night of sleep since 9/10 the night before we brought our precious girl home. It's like having a baby in the house all over again. Enjoy the 4am wake up calls. Before you know it they are all grown up and you will actually miss the puppy days. I know hard to believe now but for sure you will miss them. Good luck!
thanks for the reply ,, and yesterday really when he woke me up he was like a baby, since I'm not married I realized how difficult is to have a baby.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Be gentle...

and dont spank, patience, patience, patience! He will grow up to be your best friend. Dobermans love you so much. You can take him to classes after the vet says he has had enough vaccinations. Welcome to the world of dobermans and to Doberman Talk.:) Guedo will grow at an alarming rate and before you know it, he will be grown. They really try your patience before they get there though. Be good to him and if you look in his eyes, you can see how much he loves you. It used to melt my heart when my Parker would look at me like that. Good luck with him. All puppies are different, but the guidelines I gave you should be pretty close.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Since it gets a little chilly in the house at night, I have learned that putting a space heater by Axel's kennel helps him to sleep longer at night. I make sure to put it on a medium or low setting so he doesn't cook, and angle the heater pointing at a corner so it only blows to a small section of the kennel so he can escape it if he gets hot.

Puppies are like babies....warm babies sleep well.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Welcome to DT from Kansas City. Welcome to puppyhood as well. You've gotten very good advice here so there's not much to add. He's your baby growing up to truly be your best friend and companion. Treat him like you would a toddler. Firm, gentle and loving.

Reactions: LindaH

·
Registered
907 Posts
Your dog comes from lines that I would consider fairly high-drive, meaning that your puppy needs a great deal of interaction and stimulation to keep them entertained, calm, and well adjusted. How much exercise and engaging play-time does your puppy get on a daily basis?

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Salaam Alaykum Ahmed. For 11 years I lived in Saudi Arabia. Riyadh is a very nice city, I was lucky enough to visit it several times.

Your little boy is still very young and is perhaps missing his mother, does he have a stuffie he can sleep with, I have found some pups like to share their bed with something and a stuffie (stuffed toy) can be just the ticket. (please be careful he does not rip it open and eat the filling). Also have you tried putting a soft ticking clock in his bed, this will sound a little like a heartbeat and it soothes some puppies, (make sure he cannot get hold of it) Is it possible for you to play find it games? I started doing this to both tire my pup out physically and mentally. I would show him a toy or treat and then go hide it, (my boy would try to follow me so I had to be sneaky) I would then tell him 'go find it' and we would look for it together at first and then once he got the idea he would go searching for it himself. This is a game you can do inside at first and when he is older outside (if there is no secure area where he can run please keep him leashed as I know how fast the traffic travels along the streets in Riyadh). I also bought some toys over the internet that the dog has to open himself to get at the treats, this allows him to play by himself. A Kong with some meat inside is a great way of occupying him when he is crated.

If you can get someone to come in to let him outside to do his pee-pees etc at lunch time this would be great, but make sure you trust this person. Perhaps they can play with him, but not rough, never playfight with a Dobe, this is asking for trouble. (in my opinion), playing fetch and find it games is great fun for your pup and will tire him.

Good luck.

·
Paralibrarian
6,168 Posts
They can be frustrating, can't they? And they have an amazing amount of energy! You've gotten a lot of good advice here, I do hope it helps.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Welcome Ahmed and you are now Dobie Owned.
Please keep coming back and any obstacles, everyone will try helping in every way.
You give your dobe lots of love and what you get back, will be amazing.
read read read lots in the little spare time you get, try to get a schedule for your pup, so you can rest too.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Linda, you are a real asset to the board.....I always find my self repping you. thank you

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Reactions: sam&macksmom

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Salaam Alaykum Ahmed. For 11 years I lived in Saudi Arabia. Riyadh is a very nice city, I was lucky enough to visit it several times.

Your little boy is still very young and is perhaps missing his mother, does he have a stuffie he can sleep with, I have found some pups like to share their bed with something and a stuffie (stuffed toy) can be just the ticket. (please be careful he does not rip it open and eat the filling). Also have you tried putting a soft ticking clock in his bed, this will sound a little like a heartbeat and it soothes some puppies, (make sure he cannot get hold of it) Is it possible for you to play find it games? I started doing this to both tire my pup out physically and mentally. I would show him a toy or treat and then go hide it, (my boy would try to follow me so I had to be sneaky) I would then tell him 'go find it' and we would look for it together at first and then once he got the idea he would go searching for it himself. This is a game you can do inside at first and when he is older outside (if there is no secure area where he can run please keep him leashed as I know how fast the traffic travels along the streets in Riyadh). I also bought some toys over the internet that the dog has to open himself to get at the treats, this allows him to play by himself. A Kong with some meat inside is a great way of occupying him when he is crated.

If you can get someone to come in to let him outside to do his pee-pees etc at lunch time this would be great, but make sure you trust this person. Perhaps they can play with him, but not rough, never playfight with a Dobe, this is asking for trouble. (in my opinion), playing fetch and find it games is great fun for your pup and will tire him.

Good luck.
WA Alikom Alsalam ..

thanks for the reply and regarding the puppy I've got him all what he needs different types of toys a good warm bed and a good room , its obvious that he's used to the situation now yesterday he slept without any noise ,, and for sure there is our driver who can take the dog for a walk after lunch time and after the dinner I'll do this mission.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts