Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into possibly taking Angel to more training. I did a lot of self training from a training program my family owns but it wouldn't hurt to do a more indepth class. Would someone please point me in the right direction for classes, I think I start with CGC right?

·
Get the bunnies!
7,024 Posts
I am looking into possibly taking Angel to more training. I did a lot of self training from a training program my family owns but it wouldn't hurt to do a more indepth class. Would someone please point me in the right direction for classes, I think I start with CGC right?
Depends on what you want to title in... Agility, conformation, obedience, flyball, schutzhund, rally, tracking... So many dog sports to choose from!

If I were you, I would look up training clubs in your area and look at what their club members have achieved... You want to train under people that are doing well in the sport, look for what breeds they have and what they have trained (Border collie training doesn't work for every other breed!) and go along to watch them training to make sure you are happy with it all.

I also recommend getting some good books on your chosen sport.

CGC is a canine good citizen certificate, it's a good start to prove your dog is nice and reasonably well behaved, but it is not a sporting title.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
You don't have to start with CGC, you can do that anytime you like.
The progression for Obedience titles is; CD, CDX, UD, UDX and OTCH, there is also a NOC title awarded to the dog that wins the AKC National Obedience Title.

Most have a pretty good obedience foundation on their dogs before starting in Agility. There are a number of Agility titles that can be earned.

Here is a link to the list of titles and a very brief description of them: American Kennel Club - AKC Titles and Abbreviations

Detailed descriptions, requirements, etc. are on the AKC website. You will find information about the WAE (Working Aptitude Evaluation) for Dobermans on the DPCA website.

Your best bet is to find a good dog training club in your area and start there. If nothing else classes are a lot of fun for you and your dog, and provide great opportunities for socialization.

Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
CGC would be a good start, but just keep in mind that this is a very basic title. Most any dog can get this title if they have a competent trainer. While it is definitely something to be proud of, it's also a pretty basic test. Once you get a cgc, you may want to look into obedience titles, or something similar. For many of the sports, you will need a certain type of dog for it. Not every dog is cut out for ring sports, and forcing them into it can cause more damage than good. You can have evaulations done for this type of thing to help determine if your dog would be able to compete.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Fyi

The A.K.C. S.T.A.R. Puppy Program is the first certificate a dog can get. This is for dogs up to a year old. This requires at least 6 weeks of basic training among other things.

The Canine Good Citizen certificate is next. Ivan will be testing for it shortly.

After the CGC I'd love to have him become a certified therapy dog. Because he's being fed raw, I know he can't become certified through Delta Society, but I'm pretty sure Therapy Dogs International does not have such a restriction.

During Ivan's obedience classes we've also had the opportunity to use some agility equipment - tunnel, shoot, etc. If I wasn't concentrating on search and rescue training with Ivan, we would definitely be pursuing agility. He loves it.

I definitely recommend going to some events and just observing. I went to an A.K.C. tracking trial and realized I wasn't very interested in it - despite being interested in and currently pursuing search and rescue certification.

·
Registered
907 Posts
By training, do you mean that you would like to eventually compete in a venue?

If so, I guess the place to start is pick what venue you'd like to participate in, or what venue is suited for your dog. If you are unsure, you might visit different groups in your area to see the different sports in action. Not all dogs are suited for Schutzhund for example, and others get terribly bored with obedience. Ask yourself what foundations you have to go on...

What is the drive of your dog? What really gets her enthused? What basic training has she had thus far? How far do you want to go in competition? What previous dog skills are required?

Also, what experience do you have with training previous dogs?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts