Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey so I recently posted the youtube video of kobe's ear crop and someone mentioned that theres a pocket and the ear will fall shortly, they were right!

Well I got ear care aftercare from this vet who is supposed to be the best in the area, I went back and told them there is a pocket in his right ear, they put gauze in the posting to help the pocket (not sure if thats the proper measure to take) well I'm starting to feel like they are incompetent for posting because first they didn't even notice the pocket...

Well she put the gauze in and the next week they stood for more then a day and a half and then they flopped

Went back this time she put gauze on both sides (cause she said she didn't want to forget which side she put it on, dumb i know) So I went one week with that

Today I took off the ears and they flopped right away as soon as I took them off, I have to wait till monday now to go back cause they are not open on sunday. BUT I'm starting to get worried, I feel on kobes right ear and i feel sort of a solid part of cartilage where his pocket is, Im hoping the cartilage there hasn't solidified.... Kobe is 5 months and a week now

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

give me any advice on if the ear is going to stand or what to tell the assistants that are helping with the ear care.

heres a picture of the flop.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
At 5 months I wouldn't be too worried. You should keep posting until he is done teething as that is when the ear cartilage will firm up. If you can post them yourself you won't have to wait to keep bringing him back to the vet, there is a great thread with step by step photo tutorial that you could follow. Otherwise I would say continue to use a bumper of some sort to pop that pocket back out(you might need something firmer than cotton, but it might work). Also, if you list your location there might be members who are willing to help you. There is also a thread around here somewhere for that!

Good luck, he's a cutie!

·
Registered
182 Posts
At 5 months I wouldn't be too worried. You should keep posting until he is done teething as that is when the ear cartilage will firm up. If you can post them yourself you won't have to wait to keep bringing him back to the vet, there is a great thread with step by step photo tutorial that you could follow. Otherwise I would say continue to use a bumper of some sort to pop that pocket back out(you might need something firmer than cotton, but it might work). Also, if you list your location there might be members who are willing to help you. There is also a thread around here somewhere for that!

Good luck, he's a cutie!
this I had to wait for my dog to be 6 month to stop posting her ears. It was standing at 4 months but i had do keep posting for 2 month or it was going back down.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
No need to panic. Quit taking your dog to the vet for posting. Learn to do it yourself, it is not that hard, honestly. Follow this tutorial: http://www.dobermantalk.com/puppy-corner/47747-ear-posting-directions-photo-tutorial-my-method.html. This tutorial even shows you how to make and position bumpers for the pockets.

You can get Duct Tape and Backer Rod at Lowe's, 3/4" would probably be about right. Get Zonas or Coach tape from your local drug store. Good to have Alcohol and Powder (baby powder works great) on hand.

Clean the ears thoroughly inside and out and then let dry completely. Dust the outside of the ear (the side with hair) with baby powder and then follow the instructions in the tutorial. Skip the Vet Wrap for now, it looks great and works well, but since you have never done this before -- do not chance getting it too tight.

The most important thing to remember is to pull/stretch the ear firmly to pull out any pockets and do NOT pull the tape tight, just wrap the tape loosely around onto itself and squeeze it so it sticks to itself.

Also, where are you located? There is a list here on DT of people willing to help with posting. If there is no one in your area, we may know of a breeder in your area that could help you. Doesn't even have to be a Dobe person, Boxer or Dane people can get the job done as well.

·
BYB Hunter
1,058 Posts
No need to panic. Quit taking your dog to the vet for posting. Learn to do it yourself, it is not that hard, honestly. Follow this tutorial: http://www.dobermantalk.com/puppy-corner/47747-ear-posting-directions-photo-tutorial-my-method.html. This tutorial even shows you how to make and position bumpers for the pockets.

You can get Duct Tape and Backer Rod at Lowe's, 3/4" would probably be about right. Get Zonas or Coach tape from your local drug store. Good to have Alcohol and Powder (baby powder works great) on hand.

Clean the ears thoroughly inside and out and then let dry completely. Dust the outside of the ear (the side with hair) with baby powder and then follow the instructions in the tutorial. Skip the Vet Wrap for now, it looks great and works well, but since you have never done this before -- do not chance getting it too tight.

The most important thing to remember is to pull/stretch the ear firmly to pull out any pockets and do NOT pull the tape tight, just wrap the tape loosely around onto itself and squeeze it so it sticks to itself.

Also, where are you located? There is a list here on DT of people willing to help with posting. If there is no one in your area, we may know of a breeder in your area that could help you. Doesn't even have to be a Dobe person, Boxer or Dane people can get the job done as well.

I second this! I was terrified the first time I posted, and my breeder was like no! Watch how easy this is! So yeah now I got it down! Basically, listen to what the person who posted above said and it will be okay. :)!

Reactions: Beaumont67

·
Registered
2,273 Posts

Thanks...much more helpful when you know how to link the thread!

·
Bad Wolf
960 Posts
I just wanted to say that if you follow the directions, it will be okay! My girl has a little pocket, but it will sort itself out. Just breathe, follow directions, and love your pup :)

Reactions: Beaumont67

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Don't give up :) My boy is 11 months old and I'm still fighting a lazy ear with posting. It can take awhile. Learn how to do it yourself and I would bet it would be corrected in no time.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Our boys ears were posted each time by Dr Jezberra's staff so I know nothing about posting.

One thing Dr Jezberra told us was to get Rush a few rubber chickens and have him gnaw/chew on them asvoften as possible as this was good for the ears.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Stop stressing. They will stand when they stand. Every dog is different.

I never leave dogs ears down for days because for every day down you loose 3. I take them down in the morning and put that up by nightime.

Airing out is important but never for days. This will create a major set back.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts