Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, we have a 4.5 month old Doberman puppy, the ears look pretty good and do stand on there own... we have been told to let them “air” and they will harden and set in place (they are done) but I am worried...

I’m just panicking as I have been researching (sometimes makes things worse!) but it seems that the tip is a little floppy at the top, is this normal? Can we just leave it and they will harden? The bottom of the ear is very good, he gets very irritated with the posts in so is there anything we can do just for the tips? Photo for attention - am hoping someone just tells me they are good as they are! Thanks in advance - sorry for the long message..

·
Super Moderator
15,529 Posts
You need to continue to post. Whatever you are making your posts out of I would be sure they are stiff but lightweight. I like to use the backer rod method and I have made a how-to here on Doberman talk for that. Airing them out actually will not help them firm up, just the opposite in fact it will weaken them Especially at the tips and you will get more curved shaped ears even if they do stand without posting any longer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You need to continue to post. Whatever you are making your posts out of I would be sure they are stiff but lightweight. I like to use the backer rod method and I have made a how-to here on Doberman talk for that. Airing them out actually will not help them firm up, just the opposite in fact it will weaken them Especially at the tips and you will get more curved shaped ears even if they do stand without posting any longer.
Ahh okay I see.. we have been using kitchen roll but it really is not great as he gets it out within seconds and then they just flop.. I will have a look at your method - Would you say they need 1-2 more weeks posting? Or hard to tell? Thank you again

·
Big Lil pup
6,408 Posts
Hi Dobievito. Welcome from the Pacific NW. I also would continue to post. My son's new pup turned 4 months today and his ears are standing pretty well also. We will most likely end up posting up to another 3 months. More if necessary. I posted my last boy through 7 months, before I was satisfied.

BTW... It is not uncommon for 5 month old pup's ears to stand well for quite awhile, only to see them eventually flop as teething continues on for several more weeks. Then, one is faced with a "set back" and may end up posting longer than would have been the case without the interruption.

Finally, if you are not using the backer rod method, you really should check out greenkouki's visual tutorial in the forum where you started your discussion. It's the best.

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR

·
Super Moderator
15,529 Posts
Ahh okay I see.. we have been using kitchen roll but it really is not great as he gets it out within seconds and then they just flop.. I will have a look at your method - Would you say they need 1-2 more weeks posting? Or hard to tell? Thank you again
Could be weeks, could be months. I posted my dog in my profile picture until almost 18 months, but that is not generally the norm. I'd go to 7 months at a minimum.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
I echo @greenkouki and @4x4bike ped - keep posting. It is so tempting to leaving them unposted thinking they are done, but you will thank yourself if you keep going. Every dog is different and things like genetic propensity for hard cartilage (or not) will dictate how long you’ll need to post. The backer rod method is the best way to go and while it gave me fits the whole time I am super happy with my boys ears. I posted him every 3-5 days until he was just over 7 months.
He looks like a sweet boy and he has a great smile!

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,282 Posts
Even once I think their ears are done, I keep posting for 2-3 more weeks. Just in case.

After spending all of that time, effort and money on their ears, adding a couple more weeks at the end just to be sure they are truly standing is hardly anything.

·
Super Moderator
21,890 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,732 Posts
If the base is standing well, you can do a "half post" that sits on the knob just above the ear canal. I'm not good at finding posts to link here on how to do something, but I think the Great Dane Lady site has a good pictorial on how to do it. You will need large zip ties (or something similar) the ones I use start out 2 feet long - I cut the size I need and then round it off so there are no sharp edges - I reuse the zip ties. You will also need colostomy bag glue. I see you are in the UK - so not sure finding on Amazon would work for you - but any medical supply company would have it.
The picture is of a puppy from my second litter wearing the 1/2 posts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts