Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

Help! I need an opinion.

1K views 17 replies 16 participants last post by  RedFawnRising 
#1 ·
hey, this is darla a 1 yr old female dobie I was looking to get as a new family member but I just got the picture of her today and something doesn't seem right and I can't put a finger on it. Whats do the scabs on her elbows mean? I know I'm a newbie... and just want someone elses opinion on the picture.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
You can sometimes get the hair to grow back by using products like bag balm, corona, horseman's dream.

#8 · (Edited)
If this girl has been raised in a dog run for her first year of life, you could be looking at some real adjustment problems with her social( strange people, places and things) and house changes, including housebreaking. I would ask the breeder if she lives in a run and check out his place, personally, if you can. You should research this breeders reputation very thoroughly. You can use the search function to see if they have been discussed here.

#9 ·
As others have said, the roughness on her elbows is likely from laying outside on concrete or similar surfaces. She also seems to have a fairly long dock.

If she's a rescue I wouldn't worry about either. Ask the shelter or rescue if she's been inside much so you'll know what you may or may not be facing with house-training her, etc. (Though my Delta was likely an outside dog previously, she housetrained in 3 days and took to being an inside dog like she'd been waiting for it all her life! ;)

If a breeder is trying to sell this dog to you I'd look elsewhere. I expect more from someone who is actively breeding dobermans.

#13 ·
...If she's a rescue I wouldn't worry about either. Ask the shelter or rescue if she's been inside much so you'll know what you may or may not be facing with house-training her, etc....

If a breeder is trying to sell this dog to you I'd look elsewhere. I expect more from someone who is actively breeding dobermans.
THIS.

Also, a reputable rescue will already have her vaccines and other vet work all up to date, including being spayed. That ends up being a "bargain" for adopting a new family member.

If this is a "breeder," then please do not give them any money for what they are doing.

#12 ·
Unless you know for sure where she's sleeping you won't know if it's from being on concrete, hard surface or just a poor coat like our girl.

Our girl's elbows are pretty rough looking despite 90% of her repose time being on a couch or bed.
Then again ours has always had a soft, thin coat and is hypothyroid(on meds but still, thin coat).

#14 ·
I disagree with the rough elbows assessment.

Otto had rough elbows and never spent a second of his life on concrete. He had a dog bed in almost every room of the house and never slept on hard surfaces (unless he was sleeping in a sun spot on the wood floors or watching us cook dinner). So I don't think rough elbows indicate a dog has been kenneled in a run or has spent the majority of its life on concrete. I don't even think her's look bad.

However, I agree with the others that if she is from a breeder, I wouldn't want to give them money. If she is from a rescue or a family, go for it.

#15 ·
Thanks so much for all the responses, and she is from a breeder so I think I will wait and save for a reputable puppy or rescue whichever comes first. :) Also there is a possibility I might be moving and want to be able to provide a stable home and don't think it would be a good idea to get one yet. :(

#17 ·
Strider also had a very small amount of these on his elbows. He was on concrete if he was outside on my patio. But other then that, the bed, the dog bed, the couch, the leather chair, or on his side on the hardwood floor. I really don't know how he got them...
But I don't think they're anything to worry about and don't indicate health issues.
Good luck. I hope you get her!

#18 ·
...Good luck. I hope you get her!

Um...

:confused2

Thanks so much for all the responses, and she is from a breeder so I think I will wait and save for a reputable puppy or rescue whichever comes first. :) Also there is a possibility I might be moving and want to be able to provide a stable home and don't think it would be a good idea to get one yet. :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.