Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I need some help. I have a 6 month old puppy, Abby (Got her when she was 8 weeks) and have raised her in a very loving enviroment. We have been through the basic obedience classes and we are now moving on to advanced obedience classes. My problem however isn't being resolved. My Abby is a BITER! She grabs my ankles holds on and bites away. HARD!!! She also jumps up at my face and other limbs trying to bite me. None of the methods I've been trying is working. She is very head strong. I've tried re-directing, "good girling" when she stops, pronged collars, "NO"ing and rewarding when she stops, yelping, "time outs" and still nothing is working. I love her so very much but am very frustrated. Has anyone had similar problems? Can anyone offer me any help or suggestions? I just don't know what else to do and am getting so tired of being her chew toy. I really want to start enjoying our time together instead of it always being a battle. I lost my first Dobie in September to bone cancer which almost killed me and never had these issues with her.

Attachments

· Banned
7,478 Posts
You have got to find a qualified behaviourist, and for the love of DOG, don't use a prong collar anymore. Your dog sounds frustrated, and any kind of punishment is not appropriate, especially at that age.

We have several members in Virginia that can probably direct you to good sources of help.

· Premium Member
8,050 Posts
It is her age for one thing when Buddy was doing that since we have a completely fenced back yard when he would jump up/bite I would turn my back to him and go in the house, I would stay about a minute or two then go back out. Every single time he jumped up or bit in his rough play I would go in the house leaving him outside. I about worn the door out it finely dawned on him if he was not nice mom would leave so he finely quit. Of course being a puppy he would forget sometimes so i would do it all over again he finely quit and behaved himself. Good Luck

· Registered
8,003 Posts
did your trainer show you how to use the prong, or did you start using it on your own? that might be the first problem.

second possible problem: have you tried any of these techniques for a significant length of time before switching to the next?

the best place to start for a board-certified behaviorist is the agency that certifies them: Find a Board Certified Veterinary Behaviorist « ACVB

good luck.

· Registered
60 Posts
Looks like you got yourself a "Dobershark" :roflmao:

I had the EXACT same frustrations with my Doberlady now. My girl used to have problems biting too hard and making me bleed. I was glad it was winter time due to my arms being ripped to shreds and I could wear sleeves. :rolleyesww: Was really frustrating me to the point where I actually thought the problem would never go away! But then I made the rules stricter. (She's only 5 months and has already got the point) Now she barely ever clamps my skin and doesnt like putting her mouth on me at all. (Maybe a little when we play fight, but I have full control over those teeth!! :D)

But keep at it and she will eventually ease out of it.

Now she does zoomies and tries to bodyslam me, seems like pain is her game :sweat:

· Small Handful of Woman
1,794 Posts
Is that an e-collar in your picture?
There are a lot of indications that your trainer is not using appropriate methods on your doberman puppy.
Please find a behaviorist that uses positive methods and get to work. You may have a lot of ground to make up, and a small window of opportunity.

· Registered
9,469 Posts
The first time I ran around in the yard with Flirt, she about killed me. Slam bite slam bite. Holy crap what was this dog??? In her case, it was impulse control. I taught her a very good and solid DOWN. Then I started setting her up to succeed. Instead of going out and running around, I started walking. Good girl. A bit faster, saw her start to get over aroused and turned and asked her to DOWN. High value reward. little by little. The key is seeing the arousal before it gets too far.

· Holier Than Now
22,478 Posts

· Registered
142 Posts
Hey everyone. I need some help. I have a 6 month old puppy, Abby (Got her when she was 8 weeks) and have raised her in a very loving enviroment. We have been through the basic obedience classes and we are now moving on to advanced obedience classes. My problem however isn't being resolved. My Abby is a BITER! She grabs my ankles holds on and bites away. HARD!!! She also jumps up at my face and other limbs trying to bite me. None of the methods I've been trying is working. She is very head strong. I've tried re-directing, "good girling" when she stops, pronged collars, "NO"ing and rewarding when she stops, yelping, "time outs" and still nothing is working. I love her so very much but am very frustrated. Has anyone had similar problems? Can anyone offer me any help or suggestions? I just don't know what else to do and am getting so tired of being her chew toy. I really want to start enjoying our time together instead of it always being a battle. I lost my first Dobie in September to bone cancer which almost killed me and never had these issues with her.
This might sound a bit off topic for you but our cat bites, and pretty hard. It use to bother me that he did this but I have become accustomed to his way of showing affection. He will head rub my feet while laying in bed and then bite and kind of gnaw/chew away. It still annoys me to no end, but I really don't think he understands so I just pull my foot away and leave it at that.

I have come to the conclusion that cats, unlike dogs, are simply going to do certain things repeatedly and won't be trained. Period. If it were my puppy, I would be inclined to take corrective action.

I like the advice being given in this thread. Stick with it, seek a trainer that can help you understand how to correct the behavior so your time together is less a battle, and more enjoyable.

· Stella's mommy
138 Posts
Ive just answered this same question on another threat about the bitting/nipping, here's the answer
When they do that.. I dont know if youre using a crate but put him in a Time out zone 5-10 minutes until u see his energy is more relax.. Then take him out on a long walk ... 30-40 minutes (2-3 times a day if you can) And after the walk, only then you can begin teaching things.
He is not an aggressive dog, you can fix all this just stay calm and give him plenty of exercise. Do no feel nervous when he starts biting, calmly put him in time out, so that he learns this behaviour is not tolerated, only his submissive calm attitude is and if he wants to play he must change his state of mind.

· Registered
9,469 Posts
Yes. My trainer taught me how to use it. It works perfectly for her just not me and yes I've stuck with it :/ just so very frustrated. My trainer said she's taking advantage of my size. I'm very petite.
Honestly that statement wouldn't instill confidence in my trainer. she's a puppy.

I saw a lab with an invisible ecollar on the other day. Running down the middle of the road, busy street, and he wouldn't let us near him. So please be careful.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.