Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of breaking down and feeding Mya Pro Plan Sensitive Skin & Stomach. She has been on most all high quality foods and has been on Core Wellness grain free for a while. I started the change in foods b/c she was having loose stools and farts that could clear a house, forget just a room. Those things have all gone away. Her coat/skin though is less than pleasing, runny eyes, and she smells less than appealing. I also just added a supplement I got from the vet called Aller G-3. It is an omega-3 fatty acid supplement containing 2000 mg of fish oil in a capsule and I give one a day. I have read where a good handful of you guys feed Pro Plan with success....as I cringe b/c it is less than stellar in ingredients. I want to do what is best for her and have her beautiful, shiny coat without the flaky skin. Any suggestions? I have not tried Orijen or Acana and those seem to be picked heavily too. Should I just break down and try the Pro Plan and see what happens? I just bought a new bag of Wellness so I guess I will mix it for a while. I am just wanting some support and hoping for some advice I haven't already read. Thanks so much!

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
I would also suggest giving Orijen or Acana a try :) My boy used to the UK version of Pro Plan (not sure how the ingredients differ- if at all) and my boys seemed to do well on it, but I think the ingredients in Orijen and Acana speak for themselves. I add sardines to their food to keep a nice shiny coat.

·
Broadway Dobermans
846 Posts
My Lily has also had dry/flaky skin and gas ect.
She is much much better......she has done well on....Fromm grain free, and the TOTW as well. She has fish oil pills and eggs and yogurt as well as raw.....we change it up here.
Also...a good brush to take the flakes out and to keep her skin producing some oil...
The Original Ionic Brass/Boar Brush. I use this on Lily and her coat looks silky and NO flakes. Takes them all off.....and she LOVES being brushed.
Terrier Brush and Speciality Grooming Brushes for Pet Grooming, Show Dogs & Cats

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My dilemma is that Acana and Orijen are not found around here. It can be a pain and expensive to have them shipped. I have fed her TOTW before and the place that supplied it was not consistent. She seemed to do okay but nothing fabulous.:confused:

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
My dogs do great on Pro Plan for Sensiive Skin and Stomachs. I used to be like you and thought it wasn't a good food. While others look better on paper, you have to feed what your dog will do well on. That's exactly what I did. I also tried many of the high end foods before breaking down and switching to Pro Plan. I feed it with great success and I'll continue feeding it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Aha moment...

I am so stupid!! A while back, Mya started to break out more. I thought of what I had done differently. I had added flaxseed oil to try supplement and help out her coat. When she broke out I put it together that she is probably allergic to flaxseed. I never thought to go back and read Core Wellness ingredients since she had been on it for a while. I just did and low and behold it has flaxseed in it! I'm thinking if I just find a food without it my problem will be helped out tremendously. I might try TOTW again if my supply store can be more consistent in carrying it. Nothing like running out and they don't have any either which was my frustration in having her on it last time. I just might have to order online which I really didn't want to do.

·
Sirai Dobermans
2,100 Posts
Do you have a Tractor Supply store? They sell TOTW.

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
Have her thyroid levels checked. Eli had the same symptoms and the vet was sure it was allergies. I went to a new vet and had the test done. Low and behold it was his thyroid. His fur is thick, shiney and not a flake to be seen. He was so stinky and now he smells fine again. It is such a huge difference and it turns out it has nothing whatsoever to do with food. Just saying, "food for thought". LOL.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I hate to run a thyroid check on her for almost $200 and it not be it. At what age did it start becoming evident in your guy or give you the most problems? I'll be honest that it has crossed my mind after reading up on here. Does he have to take meds daily now?

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
I think Eli was around 2 yrs old when I looked back on it and by 3 he was thin coated, stinky, flakey and cold. My vet thought it was allergies because he was young. He takes one pill twice a day and it is very inexpensive medication. I wish I could get across how much this medication has helped him. He looks like a different dog, his coat is gorgeous! He does not smell, he is not cold and even his bowels have settled down. It was not the food nor the environment but in fact his thyroid.

I hate to run a thyroid check on her for almost $200 and it not be it. At what age did it start becoming evident in your guy or give you the most problems? I'll be honest that it has crossed my mind after reading up on here. Does he have to take meds daily now?

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
This place offers free shipping for orders over $50. I've shipped food to rescues from this place and had no issues with them

Taste of the Wild - Dog Food - Free Shipping

I am so stupid!! A while back, Mya started to break out more. I thought of what I had done differently. I had added flaxseed oil to try supplement and help out her coat. When she broke out I put it together that she is probably allergic to flaxseed. I never thought to go back and read Core Wellness ingredients since she had been on it for a while. I just did and low and behold it has flaxseed in it! I'm thinking if I just find a food without it my problem will be helped out tremendously. I might try TOTW again if my supply store can be more consistent in carrying it. Nothing like running out and they don't have any either which was my frustration in having her on it last time. I just might have to order online which I really didn't want to do.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I decided to go ahead and get Mya into the vet. We did a full work up. I will know in 7-10 days as far as thyroid. Her other tests were good except high eosinophils which means infection/allergies which we already had an idea about. I am changing her food over to TOTW because it has no flax in it. I will give that 6-8 weeks or so and see how it goes. I am hoping that I just spent a few hundred dollars for nothing and it is just the flax allergy....fingers crossed!

·
One-year-old
15 Posts
Hello Miksadie, I am going through a very similar situation myself. My vet thinks it is parasites. She dewormed her originally when she was super skinny, she immediately began to put on weight. She has had eye infections, anal gland infection, and coat problems. We did the blood work and the thyroid fine, but she had high eosinophiles. Vet prescribed cefpodxime an antibiotic and a different de-wormer. Her coat is beginning to darken. I am going to try Coconut Oil, because of a recommendation here and my Dad takes it himself. :) I am also going to get the ionic boar/bass brush. I have had doberman's in the past, but never with coat and weight issues. I am currently feeding her grain free nutrisource bison, mixed with bison Natural balance limited ingredients. I am not going to give her an egg for awhile. I do give fish oil. I can't think of anything else right now. I am glad I found this forum.
Dawn and Lucy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts