Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! Not sure if I'm posting this to the right place but I just joined and I have a question I would LOVE some advice on.

We just got a rescue dobe less than a week ago.

Zeus is a 5 year old fixed male, 75 pounds, and fairly hyper according to the Rescue. He is also my first ever dog. :)

Here's the problem: He is ALWAYS licking his flank. The rescue lady said he has OCD - is there anyway to get him to stop doing this? I'm worried he'll chew through to skin. Gave him 2 play toys: a huge cow hipbone and a Kong. He still sucks tho.

He is also REALLY hard to walk - constantly pulling waaay ahead. I keep him on a prong chain but still have the problem. This morning he saw a possum and it was like I was teethered to the Empire State Building. I could NOT pull him at all. It was ridiculous.

He seems to need to "mark" about every block we go to.

In the house, he is a perfect little gentleman, just loves to give kisses and lay on the carpet, and lean on me for cuddles, and when I say 'no' he is VERY obedient. No nipping or disobeying or anything like that. But outdoors is another thing.

Does NOT chase my 3 indoor cats (at least not yet) even tho he clearly has a Possum & Squirrel obsession.

Does it sound like I have a submissive dog or a dominant one here? And what do you recommend I do for the "pulling" problem and the "flank sucking"?

Any help much apprecited!!! Also - he's on his last month of Heartworm treatment so I have to keep him indoors and quiet all the time. He is going BONKERS he wants to play so bad. Ideas???

THANKS ALL!
Kelly

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Did you adopt Zeus from IDR? Congratz on your new boy! I'm an IDR volunteer(I was actually eyeing Zeus to foster him but didnt work out).

As far as dominant vs submissive I dont see any of this as being rank related. His prey drive turning on outside is normal. My dog lives with 3 cats but outside he wants squirrels and skunks. Same with some of my fosters. Is the prong properly fitted? Keep your eyes out for anything he might chase so you can watch his body language and redirect him before he reacts. Switch up your pace as you walk, when he gets near the end of the leash give an 'ah ah!' and if he slows before he gets pinched then praise and keep walking.

Work on the command 'leave it'. Practice inside, out in the backyard, etc. You can start with treats, have him on leash and just drop a piece of food and give the command, then reinforce it with the leash if he tries to go for it. When he doesnt you praise big time and reward. It is a command that can come in handy for everything from stopping a chase before it starts, to not going for the chicken bone that you dropped by accident.

For the sucking, I havnt had any experience with that but others here have. Dont correct it, because it could make it worse, just keep trying to redirect him. Keep in mind he is still brand new, needs to get into a routine, could be stressed, etc.

Buy lots of toys, marrow bones, bully sticks, kongs, jolly balls, etc. To keep him busy inside and calm him down. As for the marking outside my boy does that too, he thinks everything outside is his. Some males do it more then others. If I don't want to stop and have him mark I just say 'lets go' and give a tug on the leash and we keep moving before he can get his leg lifted.

Best of luck with him and oh and we need pictures here!

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I don't think you can really label him as dominant or submissive, but rather just a rescue dog who doesn't quite know yet how he's supposed to behave in a good home. Chances are he hasn't had a great start in life and needs some guidance.

My last Doberman (also a rescue) didn't lick his flank, but he was OCD about his paws. Not sure what most people would do, but we sprayed some bitter apple on his paws as he was licking them raw, and he did eventually stop over time. He still licked occassionally, but no more than any other dog. We also told him "enough" when we caught him licking, but only after he'd been with us for a while and had learned what "enough" meant. We also made sure to provide him with plenty of toys and bones to keep his mind off his feet, and when we caught him licking, we'd redirect him to a bone or something. Usually that worked, as he only licked when he was bored or anxious.

As far as pulling on the leash, if you're using a prong collar, make sure it's fitted properly. Otherwise it won't do the job. Mostly I just do the stop/turn around method and have had good results. Basically, when the dog forges, I stop, which makes the dog stop as well. When he looks at me and gives some slack on the leash, we go again. I also (abruptly) turn around and I find that gets the dog back to my side quickly, on a loose leash, and teaches him to pay attention to me. The dog is praised profusely at that point, and learns relatively quick that walking gently earns him a reward. "Leave it" is an excellent command to teach, and should also work for when he sees something outside that he wants to chase.

Others may have better suggestions for both behaviours, but those are what have worked for me. And in the house to keep him busy, I'd get him some interactive toys (Kongs, balls that you put kibble in and the dog rolls it around to get the food out, etc.), and some good bones to keep him busy. Keira's a very active dog, and chewing on a raw bone for a while tires her out pretty good, as does a stuffed kong.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I swapped to a head collar and it helps with the pulling. He still can and will pull, he just stiffens his neck, puts his head down a little and off he pulls. I've actually found giving him the length of the leash keeps my shoulder where it belongs. He walks like a drunk though. But we are making progress.
I usually walk him with one of my other dogs who have good leash manners and it helps him a bit.
When it is just him and I walking, we stop and turn a lot when he starts to pull, but when I'm walking him with one of the other dogs, I don't like to do that.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Think about trying a harness. They actually are better suited to a breed that can have neck/back issues, and my Murphy was a real puller when she wore a collar, but with the harness, there is no pulling at all.

Thanks for adopting a rescue...that is wonderful!

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
16,038 Posts
In case no one has said, only use the prong collar as a secondary collar. Always have a second collar on him and your lead clipped to it also. Prongs can spring loose and then your dog is gone.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Try putting a small amount of Vicks Vapor Rub on the spot he's licking. Just make sure the spot isn't raw. Dogs hate the taste of the stuff. Work on redirecting him as well because he will more than likely find another spot to lick. We use "Are you licking?" to stop the action.
He sounds just like my two year old rescue, Hank. He is wild about the animals in our backyard. He has gotten better since we got him about four months ago. Maybe they have to get used to the new surroundings? Hank used to look out the front door and see something, anything, and run out to the backyard to bark. He has pretty much stopped doing that.
Hang in there, he'll slowly get better over time, it just takes time. If ol' Hank can do it any dog can do it.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
We had a corgi with a similar licking issue. When we caught him licking, we made a sound and handed him a toy. It took awhile but he eventually quit licking completely.

As far as the pulling would recommend enrolling in an obedience course, so he can learn the basics, such as "heel" and to focus on you rather than Possoms, etc.

Good Luck and kudos to you for providing a homeless dog with a home.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Flank sucking

Congratulations on your new boy. When Dobes get bored they turn to different things to occupy themselves, flank sucking being one. With time, training and activities it might get better. With time and training the pulling should also get better.

I recommend when he starts to get close to the end of the leash you do an about turn and start running the opposite direction giving a quick pop on the leash. When he catches up to you praise him for being close. Do this every sinlge time he starts to get too far ahead but before he pulls. It will keep him off balance and he will have to watch you to keep from getting a correction.

Good luck.

Hi everyone! Not sure if I'm posting this to the right place but I just joined and I have a question I would LOVE some advice on.

We just got a rescue dobe less than a week ago.

Zeus is a 5 year old fixed male, 75 pounds, and fairly hyper according to the Rescue. He is also my first ever dog. :)

Here's the problem: He is ALWAYS licking his flank. The rescue lady said he has OCD - is there anyway to get him to stop doing this? I'm worried he'll chew through to skin. Gave him 2 play toys: a huge cow hipbone and a Kong. He still sucks tho.

He is also REALLY hard to walk - constantly pulling waaay ahead. I keep him on a prong chain but still have the problem. This morning he saw a possum and it was like I was teethered to the Empire State Building. I could NOT pull him at all. It was ridiculous.

He seems to need to "mark" about every block we go to.

In the house, he is a perfect little gentleman, just loves to give kisses and lay on the carpet, and lean on me for cuddles, and when I say 'no' he is VERY obedient. No nipping or disobeying or anything like that. But outdoors is another thing.

Does NOT chase my 3 indoor cats (at least not yet) even tho he clearly has a Possum & Squirrel obsession.

Does it sound like I have a submissive dog or a dominant one here? And what do you recommend I do for the "pulling" problem and the "flank sucking"?

Any help much apprecited!!! Also - he's on his last month of Heartworm treatment so I have to keep him indoors and quiet all the time. He is going BONKERS he wants to play so bad. Ideas???

THANKS ALL!
Kelly

·
Take my Dobe, please!
2,566 Posts
FYI: OCD can refer to either obsessive compulsive disorder or "osteochondritis dessicans".

Flank sucking is related to causing lick granulomas (and spinning/tail chasing in Bull Terriers). Very often, a highly stressed and anxious dog will develop obsessions with flank sucking or licking its paws interminably. The dog starts out by performing a normal grooming behavior as a stress reducer, but ends up over doing it to the point of harming itself.

Distract your dog when you catch him doing it and give him a toy or chewie to work his frustrations out on. He appears to be a dog with a high energy level whose enforced inactivity and confinement is causing unbearable frustration. Once his HW treatment is completed you'll be able to exercise him to the level he needs and a tired dog is a well-behaved dog.

Thanks for adopting and best wishes to you and your new pupster.:wavey:

·
Registered
669 Posts
I would try to be 'careful' about 'popping' the leash. Dobes seem to easily get neck and back issues...so keep that in mind....

·
Registered
537 Posts
Welcome and congrats on your new pup!
I also have an almost 5 yr old Zeus who was a 'puller' on walks until I got a prong...best thing ever!! I initially had a halti/gentle leader but he still pulled.

If the prong is fitted properly then it should make a huge difference. It should sit at the top of the neck just beneath the ears.

Hopefully as he settles in and gains confidence and feels secure the licking should improve.

He certainly sounds like a sweetheart. Be consistent (this is key), firm, confident, give lots of praise and love, and you will have the best dog you could ever hope for. Dobes are such special dogs and love to please their owner. Bless you for rescuing!

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
Welcome to DT and congrats on adopting Zeus (I met him at Pams he is such a sweet boy)

·
Registered
270 Posts
Cesar Millan has a 1 minute cure for OSD. Basically an interrupt when they are in the middle of their OSD. At least 2 episodes I remember, took about 3-6 times and the dog was cured. The interrupt was a simple claw via your hand to their neck with a "ccchhhh" sound. Nothing hard or painful...one dog couldnt stop licking people, it'd go on for hours if the person would let them. Just a thought, anyway

·
Registered
187 Posts
distraction with a verbal negative worked for me with the sucking. i actually would bring out my dijerrie do(spelling????). after two times blowing it all i have to do is merely bring it out. the sight is enough to make her stop. she hasn't done it for months now and counting. as far as the pulling....every time my dogs try to pull me i stop and make them sit for a few just to let them know they go where i go and not vice versa.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I think I found just the thing to control Hanks tugging on the leash. I just picked up Four Paws no-pull trainer harness at Superpetz. I did a quick "test drive" with Hank and he didn't even try to pull. I'll do a longer walk this evening for a really good test. I will continue working with him on a regular collar and leash but this harness will allow some enjoyable time with him. The only hassle with this harness was getting his front legs thru the loop but it wasn't terrible. Here's a link: Four Paws No-Pull Trainers at PETCO

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Congrats on your new baby!!!! Just an FYI it will take him a good three weeks to settle in. I suggest you get him on a strict routine and keep him on it, his sucking will probably go down as he settles but redirect in the mean time (not punishment). Have his walks, feeding time all at the same time for the next month or so and it will help him settle faster. If you can enroll in an obedience class as that will aid you in bonding as well as learning how to train. Find a trainer that does many methods of training as you want to find what will motivate Zeus the best. Do not coddle him when you leave or come home, be very casual with him and I also suggest NOT letting him up on the furniture or bed for the first while.

As for peeing on everything when you go for a walk, well he's a boy, boys mark! I have a 3 second rule for my boys and I literally count out loud, if they don't pee within the 3 we go and I just walk ahead, no fuss no muss. I do agree with a harness until you can do some proper training.

We are here if you need us!!!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks SO much guys!! So great to have your wonderful ideas and support. I posted some photos of Zeusy on my gallery will try to add them to my sig later on.
BEST,
Zeus's Mom :thumbsup:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts