Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

My husband and I adopted our wonderful sweet doberman boy (Broo, "brew") almost 2 years ago from the Houston Area Doberman Rescue. He will be 10 years old in January. When we adopted him, we were given some vaccination records and a copy of his pedigree. Reading through this site, I can see how important it is to support good breeding practices and I understand the cost of getting a byb puppy. I have to say, it has all made me very curious about Broo's origins. I have debated posting this for a while, because I'm worried that I might worry more if I find out that he is from a disreputable breeder (I worry about everything), but my curiosity has gotten the best of me.

I am attaching a picture of the pedigree, forgive me if it is difficult to read. The top left says:

Sinbad the Sailor
WS11729105
DOBERMAN PINSCHER MALE BLK & RUST
Date Whelped: 01/24/2005
Breeder: Marilyn L Corl (couldn't find much on her on google)

His sire is Amazing Red Caelum Sky
His dam is Glorious Cinnamon Girl

Google has yielded some information, but I just don't know enough about pedigrees/titling/breeding to make sense of it all. I'm thinking it was a byb-ish situation. Any insight would be useful!

We love him dearly, and are hoping we get many more than 10 years with him. I've attached a few pictures, these were from our wedding Oct 25, 2014. He walked down the aisle right before me :) I have bajillions of pictures of him, if you instagram my account is hannahleighes.

Thank you!

Attachments

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
would assume a 'byb' breeding.

But................ :) Bless you guys for bringing a senior Doberman boy into your hearts and home!

Hugz to you and yours.

edit to add........ I could not seem to read the whole pedigree........ might be able to work back from the great-grand parents if I could see who they are.............

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
I am not very knowledgeable on the pedigree, but I did see that wedding photo on instagrams instadobes a few days ago! I adore it! Our boy will absolutely be in my wedding one day… :)

Also, thank you so much for rescuing! He looks so loved, and he clearly adores you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Darkevs, I'm sorry I can't seem to get that darned thing any bigger.

His grandparents are Cambria's Sweet Dreams and Heidi's Lil Star Myah on his sire's side, and Maxwell Von Silver Hammer and Heidi's Lil Star Myah again (!) on his dam's side.

His great grandparents are CH Wynterwynd's Field of Dreams and CH Cambria's Go For The Gold, Von Stone's Asteroid and Little Heidi Max, Romero's Duke and Nielsen's Kona Beauty, and Von Stone's Asteroid and Little Heidi Max.

Now that I'm typing it out, I'm seeing a lot of inter-relatedness going on. Not sure how common that is in reputable breeding :/

Thank you for your help!

·
Got mutt?
13,730 Posts
Welcome to DT, and thank you for adopting a senior. He's a handsome fella.

Definitely looks like a typical BYB pedigree, with just enough good dogs a couple of generations back to advertise "champion bloodlines".

If the breeder knows what they are doing, a half-sibling breeding (while tighter than I personally prefer) can be acceptable, especially if the pedigree behind them is pretty diverse. That said, this breeding probably was due more to convenience or accident.

To post a better image of the pedigree, if you have a scanner, scan it to your computer as a photograph. Upload it to a website like photobucket, then copy and paste the link codes, and it will show up in your post as a full sized picture, and not a thumbnail.

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Hello and Welcome from Denver! He's a gorgeous boy. The fact that he at least as some champion lines is at least is a step in the right direction, what I mean is, could be worse.

My Gretchen has Von Stone in her as well, not the same dog. It's hard to find them since they have now closed the Kennel and are working under Paragon Kennels, if you go to the websites you'll see a odd similarity. Even that Kennel is only in good standing with the AKC. I've talked to a few people that have received dogs from this breeder and both people said their dog passed away from DCM but it was at an older age, 10 and 11. That's the bad news, the good news is they loved their dogs temperament and were very happy otherwise.

Good luck to you and you're very handsome boy.

·
Super Moderator
21,532 Posts
Sounds like a very typical BYB pedigree, but honestly, I really wouldn't give too much thought to it if your guy is ten already. He looks to be in fabulous shape! He's very handsome. Thank you for rescuing!

(As an aside, I completely adore your wedding dress!)

·
Snuggle Monster
932 Posts
Love your photos, love your dress, love your handsome Doberboy! Thanks so much for rescuing him :)

Your boy's sire is one of my boy's grandparents, so that makes our dogs ... I don't know what. But related :) I've been able to find very little info on that side of my boy's family (dam side) so I'm afraid I'm no help. The Cambria line is easy enough to trace but, on Heidi's Lil Star Miyah's side, there aren't any titles. That area of the pedigree has been my biggest black hole.

But, as others have said, the fact that your boy is 10 years old and looking great is fantastic, in and of itself!

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Well-loved, happy dog, beautiful setting and great dress!

Bless you for adopting.

Yet another example of some crappy breeders getting hold of some decently bred animals, and using the innocent animals to make a mess of things.

I'm sure your boy's breeder didn't give a thought as to what the rest of his life might be like, once they had cash-in-hand.

He's so lucky to have landed well and safely. Many are not so fortunate.

·
Dobes Dobles +1
Eva 10 y/o Dobe HADR, Lanah Chi-Cairn X 6 y/o, RIP Sunking's Spock, Lillah Chi-Terrier X
4,127 Posts
Great pictures of Broo and his loving forever family! :)
Thank you so much for adopting a senior Dober guy.
We adopted our Eva at HADR a little over 2-yrs ago.

Went to your Instagram account, as you suggested, looking for some more pics of Broo. (maybe leading the wedding procession?)
Was sorry to see your announcement of his hind leg mast cell tumor yesterday. :(

Wishing you the best with Broo's treatment, may he be around much longer, as you hoped.

I would suggest you start a new thread with Broo's condition info. Lots of DT members will be glad to contribute their own experiences.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Spocksdad--thank you, you're very sweet. I had considered doing that, but I tend towards paranoia when it comes to health things, and I figured it would make me even more so if a bunch of people came forward with horror stories. I will definitely keep DT in mind though, and I will reach out if I need some help.

Btw, Eva is lovely! Glad to hear of another HADR rescue.

·
Registered
850 Posts
You may find more at pedigreedatabase.com

Unlike Dobequest, it's a crowdsourced database that anyone (not just members of the club) can enter pedigrees into, so if you start entering your boy's pedigree, some of it may autocomplete, especially where the extremely popular sires come in. If you enter the pedigree you know, it may help someone else do their research, too.

·
sadder but wiser girl
9,688 Posts
Your Broo is a very handsome and elegant-looking Best Man - and he sure doesn't look senior! You guys were awesome to adopt a senior, and it looks like he's thriving. Best to him and best to you!
Here's a photo of VonStone's Asteroid from the VonStone Kennel website (Colorado):
Past Dogs - Vonstone Kennels - Greeley, CO

1 - 15 of 15 Posts