Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Too soon for the next heat cycle I think ? Not quite 4-1/2 months and this doesn't look like blood,more like dark muddy water,a few drops on the floor now and then....and I just took notice yesterday of it and today it happened again only more drops came out. Again,doesn't look like blood. Last heat cycle she started with a pink drip or two. This look just like dark muddy water and thicker than water.

I have had females before and never have I seen this. Can anyone tell me if they have delt with this or what it is-should I be worried.

Its a weekend and no vets open unless you drive 2-1/2 hrs for emergency treatment

Dog is about 14 months old.

·
Got mutt?
Leo, Lily, and Simon
13,950 Posts
Call your vet and see if they have any arrangements for after-hours care locally. If they don't, then make the drive. The first thing that comes to my mind is pyometra, which is a uterine infection, and absolutely an emergency.

·
Registered
6,962 Posts
Vet. Now. Find one that's open and go there.

Reactions: melbrod

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help, just got hold of the breeder and we are working on it.

So far her temp is 101.1 and doing ok but I'm told it could turn bad very fast.

Thanks again. for the fast replies....................local vet was useless , again.

·
Premium Member
10,576 Posts
A lot of local vets (unless they are reproduction vets) don't even know enough about the repro process in dogs to recognize stuff like you've been seeing. Good to hear that you've got the breeder helping--good luck.

dobebug

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all, things are better now. Talked with breeder and a "retired" breeder named Betty, which some of you may know. Been taking temps every few hours and watching the dog close,and we all thought the worst was coming but Betty remembered once in her experience ( she had heard of it before but never happened to her ) until one female started out the same way as mine but turned out to be some type of pre heat cycle...something about the last cycle didn't clean out properly, and after a few day the dark muddy water color started turning with a little pink color in it and then more pink than brown-the cycle begins.
Well late yesterday the same thing started here,a little pink mixing in at first then more and today we have blood drops. She is coming into her 2nd cycle a little early maybe , but everyone I talked to said the same thing-it sure looked and sounded like pyometra. We got lucky but could have been worse so again,thanks for the heads up. When it started I could not reach the breeder or Betty,nor the vet,so I reached out here and got help-then the breeder called and so did Betty and we got on top of it. A good out come-thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts