Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We rescued Norman from the shelter on January 1st. We were told he was a dobe mix, owner surrender, 7 months old, and completely malnourished. He was in the shelter for two weeks and ended up gaining a few pounds before we adopted him, at a whopping 17 pounds. He's put on an addition 10-12 pounds. Every where we go, people stop to ask what he is and I was hoping for your help. Do you think he is part dobe, mini pin, whippet, or something else? The vet said it's very possible he is part dobe and was the runt plus malnourished, which stunted his growth.

I figured if I needed help, I would ask the experts!! I appreciate your help!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
I'd vote minpin mix, he's tiny and the face too. With some sort of terrier or just a very very poorly bred one.

·
Got mutt?
13,645 Posts
Cute X Adorable. :) Maybe a German Pischer mix? Patterdale mix (not likely, as Patterdales are uncommon, but possible). Possibly Dobe mixed with something considerable smaller? Whatever he is, he's a cutie. Thanks for rescuing.

Reactions: Sinister

·
Registered
48 Posts
Looks like a Min Pin mix to me?

I don't know, I'm not so good at these kinds of things, but he is SO cute! Such a sweet face. Thank you for adopting. :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a min pin and a dobe my min pin is full grown and 12 lbs it's hard to tell if your pup has min pin by looking because mins colours etc resemble dobes huge! The snout looks a bit short to me..y min pin has a longer snout.. Whats his personality like? Look up min pins breed they were originally bred as ratters and if you read the personality and temperament it fits my min pin to a T so maybe you will see similarities to help identify! Quite the cutie though! Wtg on rescue! Both our pups are re homes we were last stop before ending up in the pound! They have so much love!

·
Dobes stole my heart <3
3,418 Posts
is it possible a min pin/manchester mix? I am not real good at guessing breeds but the color and size I think would be right, and that tail looks like a manchester would have.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Depending on what area he was found in, some of these guesses are pretty unlikely :p

Manchesters and German Pinschers, for instance, usually aren't running around stray, to breed randomly.

However, if you have a big pet store chain presence (and the resulting "designer breeders" whom they set up) and/or lots of puppy miller types, I suppose it's possible.

He's a cute dog, but the head is much more Terrier type than anything, to my eye.

Possible Rat Terrier cross, Min Pin cross, probably a blend of three or four things.

He is really cute, and I understand your experience of having folks play "Name That Breed" when you walk by.

I have a big Pit cross who's got maybe forty-seven different "other" breeds crossed with him, according to guesses from the public. ;)

Reactions: bean and Asmit

·
Registered
6,610 Posts
redfawn, plott hounds aren't common, either, but Baltimore seems to have a rash of plott mixes in the shelters lately. could just be an oops someone didn't want so they let it out.

Reactions: RedFawnRising

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
I think a Manchester Terrier mix. My mom and dad have a min pin and I do see a little of it in pic one I also see the Manchester more.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
redfawn, plott hounds aren't common, either, but Baltimore seems to have a rash of plott mixes in the shelters lately. could just be an oops someone didn't want so they let it out.
Could also be that "Plott mix" is the designation du jour in Baltimore. I remember reading some years ago on a Korean Jindo Dog site that it was estimated that there were something like 200 Jindo Dogs in the U.S. At the same time, there were some 2000 Jindo and Jindo mixes on Petfinder... yeah, right LOL! As Petfinder has become so widely used, all sorts of unlikely dogs have become common... this is because it is not possible to list a dog on Petfinder as just a mixed breed - they insist on breeds... so, in order to get the dog listed, folks make it up and a lot of folks apparently enjoy amusing themselves... Great Dane X Chihuahua, Karelian Bear Dog, etc. Once someone says it, it becomes a true gospel fact... then ya got Plott Hounds all over town!

·
Registered
6,610 Posts
Could also be that "Plott mix" is the designation du jour in Baltimore. I remember reading some years ago on a Korean Jindo Dog site that it was estimated that there were something like 200 Jindo Dogs in the U.S. At the same time, there were some 2000 Jindo and Jindo mixes on Petfinder... yeah, right LOL! As Petfinder has become so widely used, all sorts of unlikely dogs have become common... this is because it is not possible to list a dog on Petfinder as just a mixed breed - they insist on breeds... so, in order to get the dog listed, folks make it up and a lot of folks apparently enjoy amusing themselves... Great Dane X Chihuahua, Karelian Bear Dog, etc. Once someone says it, it becomes a true gospel fact... then ya got Plott Hounds all over town!
hah, point. not to mention most of these dogs are bully mixes. i think i remember seeing one that actually looked like a Plott.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
When I saw him I thought of Manchester Terrier possibly crossed with a Min Pin.

But whatever he is, he is a keeper and so damn cute I could eat him all up.

Thanks for rescuing. :kiss:

·
sadder but wiser girl
9,688 Posts
He's very cute... because of the color, I'd say probably some Manchester in there, but he could be almost anything - a little IG or Whippet, or Min Pin... whenever anyone sees black and tan, they automatically say Doberman or Rottie... there are so many breeds with this color combo, including Cockers, Poms and Dachshunds!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts