Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have a 3 month old rott puppy and 2 month old doberman puppy. The doberman puppy barks very loudly everytime I take the rott puppy out to do her business. How do I discourage my dob to bark? She understands No and Sit but is very stubborn refuses to do so, need correction all the time. When i said no she keep quiet but I walk one step away she starts to bark away. Yet i am already at a distance with my rott, how do I stop this?

Thanks a lot.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
why not take them out together? you're dobe's still a baby and likes the comfort of knowing you're around. My dobe did the same thing as a baby but as he got older he gained the confidence to stay by himself.

·
Banned
7,653 Posts
You could TRY to take the Dobe out first, but you are dealing with an incredibly vocal and EXCEEDINGLY attached breed to begin with. Without some kind of capacity to distract or control, I have no idea how to get around this kind of thing. Cant walk both at the same time I guess??

If you have a friend that can help, that can hide somewhere when you leave - as soon as pup begins to bark, you can have them do something VERY loud to distract her just as soon as she barks. She will stop out of being startled and will soon learn to NOT do it, if enough repetition is established.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
With two young working breed pups to raise at the same time, you're in for a lot of work and are going to need top notch handling and training skills to have a successful outcome for each of these pups, as adults.

We have a couple stickies in the training section, on kindergarten basics for humans, and recommended books. I usually really recommend folks start out with Pat Miller's The Power of Positive Dog Training. It's not super expensive, and is easy to read and follow and will really help you set and achieve goals, week by week.

Once you do some poking around and reading, you might have even more questions, feel free, lots of folks on here with lots of experience--but it sounds like getting some good basics in place will help both human and puppies be happier and more settled :)

Oh, one last thing, at eight weeks, a puppy, esp. of a sensitive breed like a Doberman, really will not thrive on a high level of corrections--which from your original post sounds like you've sort of resorted to, out of frustration. There are much easier and much more pleasant ways to teach the puppy what you want, and ask for those behaviors, rather than constantly telling him/her she is wrong and correcting her. Reward what you want, ignore what you don't, in short.

·
sadder but wiser girl
9,688 Posts
Agree - this is a very young baby, a very smart and sensitive breed that needs a sensitive, firm but very patient and kind guide. "Corrections" will most likely not work well, and you will have a problem child. At this young age, why not take them out together, get them used to being handled together, and it will be easier on you in the long run, that they are used to you dealing with them as a "pack leader" or authority figure, not just individually.

This dog is already sensing your frustration, and its ability to push your buttons. You need to enroll both pups in a puppy class for socialization and manners, and then both in a puppy obedience class, so you learn how to handle them correctly and effectively. The Dobe is a bit young for classes still, but you might benefit from some of the info on this forum about behavior management and training, and from the input of a professional trainer. It'll be much easier to correct issues now and avoid additional ones, than to rehabilitate bad behaviors later. Best of luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all...

Thanks all of your replies. Thanks avalonandon, I thought of the method u suggested too, but unfortunately I stay alone, my dad comes once in a while so will have to arrange a training session with him.

I think I will need some help to handle both dogs in training certain behaviours. I just got her not long ago, when I got her, she was very insecure, refusing to walk on leash with me poo n pee in the house, very sensitive to cars/motorbikes/people passing by not to mention dogs etc. Now she is getting much better, but still she barks/growls at people passing by or at a distance, in short she gets distracted easily. I am waiting for her 3rd shot of vaccination before taking her out for training. She used to play rough with my rott, my rott is real gentle, they just can't stop playing with each other at first and most of the time my dob just get too excited and cause my rott to yelp in pain. Now I got both of them to stop when I say "no", she also eats gently from my friends now, used to eat like a machine. Much better now. I think all these problems was due to the breeder, neglect and lack of socializing when she was young.

I don't know y, she seems to be able to push my buttons easily. Sometimes i take both of them out together but instead of doing their business they play with each other, that's not play time, play time is when I take them to the park in the evening. My rott is getting stronger day by day, so it will be hard to control both of them alone, especially when I have to pick up their poo on 1 hand and the other holding the leash, so I resort to take them out 1 by 1. Taking her out first is much easier, my rott just whines a little then she stops when I walk away but when I return to take the rott out, she still barks. When she sees other dogs she barks and her tail was pointing down, got to build her confidence level, my rott is very confident, a happy n super friendly dog but my dob is the exact opposite. It's a challenge to build her confidence and make her happy. She frowns all the time. She's got a character.

I know they are attached to me, I bring them along wherever I go, they are very well behaved minding their own business when I am driving. I am going to work on clicker training. Any of you guys have good results from clicker training?

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Barking puppy

At 8 weeks she does not know sit and is not being stubborn. She clearly is telling you that she does not have it yet. Correcting all the time at this age is very detrimental to her. She needs to be encouraged and trained with postive motivation. You are the problem. Back up and Back off. Are you spending more time with the Rottie?? She is a baby and needs attention.

I hope I read a lot of miss messages in this - if not I am concerned about the Dobe puppy. It is one of the biggest reasons I never recommend two puppies at the same time. Too much stress on everyone if you are not very knowledgable on correctly training.

Hi

I have a 3 month old rott puppy and 2 month old doberman puppy. The doberman puppy barks very loudly everytime I take the rott puppy out to do her business. How do I discourage my dob to bark? She understands No and Sit but is very stubborn refuses to do so, need correction all the time. When i said no she keep quiet but I walk one step away she starts to bark away. Yet i am already at a distance with my rott, how do I stop this?

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"You are the problem. Back up and Back off. Are you spending more time with the Rottie?? She is a baby and needs attention."

I don't want to get personal here. Thanks for your very constructive advice. Did you read my reply to my post? She is improving, no more biting, no more pee n poo in the house, no more eating like a machine, could eat gently from my hands now, she understands "no" n "sit" most of the time. Will have to strengthen this. I use reward training with treats. I don't think I am the problem, she was in worse state when I first got her. Although I am not perfect that's why i am in this forum to learn how to handle her better. I give my attention to both, both go to my car together, both go to the park together, both stay, play, eat and sleep together.

Comparatively to my rott, she is tougher to handle as she looks like a neglected and not well socialized puppy when I got her. I could see progress in her confidence but needs to improve further to be at par with my rott. Of course more love n attention from me is the key to improve her confidence.

So, please do not state such strong comments next time, don't know about others but at least to me. Thanks a lot.

·
Alpha
2,508 Posts
I always took the youngster with the older dogs. They are the best teachers.

·
Alpha
2,508 Posts
I would take them together. Even if it meant I had to kneel and hold the dobie until the Rottie did his/her business. Since the older pup is a little more advanced it come help calm the younger.

Reactions: breadnbutter

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
I think she just meant to force her point of positive only training. I personally would probably end up hanging myself if I had two pups so close in age. They need individual attention and training, a few breeders have recommended out here that a hour minimum individual time per day is required to ensure they get the appropriate bond with the owner/handler and don't get too bonded to each other.

It is a very difficult thing to accomplish and I wish you the best of luck with the both of them.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
...I personally would probably end up hanging myself if I had two pups so close in age...
Oh hells no, hanging is too slow! I'd want out of my misery FAST!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
THanks

I took them out together today to do their business, by seeing the rott doing her business the dob also did hers not long after, otherwise she would take forever, easily distracted.

I am single staying alone, freelance so I guess that helps to take care of them full time.

Anywayz, thanks a lot especially alisande, I did that previously but was increasingly hard to control both of them when they are in play mode, will find a way to manage them together.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Thanks all of your replies. Thanks avalonandon, I thought of the method u suggested too, but unfortunately I stay alone, my dad comes once in a while so will have to arrange a training session with him.

I think I will need some help to handle both dogs in training certain behaviours. I just got her not long ago, when I got her, she was very insecure, refusing to walk on leash with me poo n pee in the house, very sensitive to cars/motorbikes/people passing by not to mention dogs etc. Now she is getting much better, but still she barks/growls at people passing by or at a distance, in short she gets distracted easily. I am waiting for her 3rd shot of vaccination before taking her out for training. She used to play rough with my rott, my rott is real gentle, they just can't stop playing with each other at first and most of the time my dob just get too excited and cause my rott to yelp in pain. Now I got both of them to stop when I say "no", she also eats gently from my friends now, used to eat like a machine. Much better now. I think all these problems was due to the breeder, neglect and lack of socializing when she was young.

I don't know y, she seems to be able to push my buttons easily. Sometimes i take both of them out together but instead of doing their business they play with each other, that's not play time, play time is when I take them to the park in the evening. My rott is getting stronger day by day, so it will be hard to control both of them alone, especially when I have to pick up their poo on 1 hand and the other holding the leash, so I resort to take them out 1 by 1. Taking her out first is much easier, my rott just whines a little then she stops when I walk away but when I return to take the rott out, she still barks. When she sees other dogs she barks and her tail was pointing down, got to build her confidence level, my rott is very confident, a happy n super friendly dog but my dob is the exact opposite. It's a challenge to build her confidence and make her happy. She frowns all the time. She's got a character.

I know they are attached to me, I bring them along wherever I go, they are very well behaved minding their own business when I am driving. I am going to work on clicker training. Any of you guys have good results from clicker training?
You remind me of myself - you expect too much from a baby, my puppy at 9 weeks I expected to be housetrained and I expected him to do everything I said immediatley! Let me assure you we are still working on most of these things at almost 6 months - Yes, he is housetrained but not at 9 weeks like your suggesting - he only recently had an accident - tthat's okay we all have accidents!
You talk about when it is and isn't play time - you've got two very young puppies (babies) they will want to play all of the time until they mature.

I wish you luck but I hope you realise its hard enough with one puppy let alone two! From your post the rotti seems highly favoured but with her being a bit older you had that time alone to build a special relationship, its perhaps something your dobe is lacking.

·
Registered
8,627 Posts
first of all, by your post stating "I got her recently" tells me that you got this dobe WAY too young, as 8 weeks should be the minimum age that they are away from their mothers.

I think that you're expecting WAY too much from a little baby puppy. She's just an infant.

Take things slow, stay POSITIVE. Corrections will do nothing but kill her confidence at this age, which, in the long run will cause you more problems.

I'd also get connected with a VERY good trainer ASAP for both dogs, just because as you stated, having two is a big job.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, I am spending more time with my dob, after seeing ur replies it seems I am expecting a lot from a young pup and I am spending more time on my dob now. Yes, I am getting a good and experienced trainer to train my dob together with me, to build her confidence and socialize her. I think she left her mother abt 4-5 wks of age and kept together with other large breed puppies like labrador, GSD. Because when the breeder started to sell he stated 6 wks old. How this will affect the dob psychologically?

Another question, how do you know if their play is too rough? I think my dob hurt my rott on her right cheek, there's blood and pus when pat my rott a few days ago. My dob will bite my rott at her cheek and she will bite and fling my rott's cheek side to side. Is that normal? How do I know if they are really aggressive? They seem fine together, they sleep on top of each other, especially my dob, she likes to rest her head on my rott.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Yes, I am spending more time with my dob, after seeing ur replies it seems I am expecting a lot from a young pup and I am spending more time on my dob now. Yes, I am getting a good and experienced trainer to train my dob together with me, to build her confidence and socialize her. I think she left her mother abt 4-5 wks of age and kept together with other large breed puppies like labrador, GSD. Because when the breeder started to sell he stated 6 wks old. How this will affect the dob psychologically?

Another question, how do you know if their play is too rough? I think my dob hurt my rott on her right cheek, there's blood and pus when pat my rott a few days ago. My dob will bite my rott at her cheek and she will bite and fling my rott's cheek side to side. Is that normal? How do I know if they are really aggressive? They seem fine together, they sleep on top of each other, especially my dob, she likes to rest her head on my rott.
If your Dobe pup was sold at six weeks, besides this being unethical and likely illegal on your breeder's part, the pup never got that critical period where she learned what is called "bite inhibition," from her siblings.

That would explain why she is, as described, biting your other pup way too hard. Normally, their Mama and littermates teach them by yelping and using dog language, when the play bite is appropriate, and when it is too rough.

Unfortunately, because this breeder either wasn't knowledgeable enough to know this--or else didn't care--in the interests of selling and gettting their $$$ faster, and before investing too much in the litter, it's going to be up to you to help your puppy learn how to use her mouth appropriately.

Please read this article by Dr. Ian Dunbar. Read it a few times, carefully, and go over the steps, and you'll understand what's going on and how to start fixing it--but as you have acknowledged, you're going to need the help of a good trainer.

It's good you are able to spend a ton of time with both pups, and nice to hear you're concentrating more on the Dobe now. Try, when frustration levels are rising--it always happens, with young high energy pups--not to take it personally. She's just a baby, albeit one armed with needle sharp razor teeth :)

Just redirect her, stay consistent, calm and firm. Remember it's your job to stay at least one step ahead of her, preferably two or three!

Edit to add: Forgot something very important--your Rottie pup needs to see the vet right away--that sounds like an abscess, and besides the fact he/she is in pain, it can be dangerous.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Now that we know that you got your pup at 4-5 weeks of age and that your breeder is a dumbass. What you need to know is what your pup is likely missing as a result of that being separated too early from the litter.

They learn bite inhibition as was stated so well by RFR. In addition, the pup is likely to have problems understanding dog body language. Dog body language tells a lot about dogs and what they are thinking at any given time. Your pup needs time to learn how to play with other dogs. Lots of self-confidence problems related to this separation as well.

The only probable good thing about early separation is that they have a bit of a tendency to be more human attenuated, not that a dobe needs that. They are already referred to as Velcro dogs, I suspect this one will be up your butt every time you go to turn around, so be careful how quickly you stop and change direction in the house. That probably needs only half a smiley but it is likely to be true. What I suspect the barking is part of separation anxiety, something that is likely also caused by that early separation. You took the place of Mama and that pup is not especially happy about it. I would try to reward the pup for NOT barking with a treat and that means start at about 2 seconds and work your way up. Don't get in any hurry to up that time, it is likely to be a long road.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
just to update my dob's situation to u guys that helped, she is doing much better now. She doesn't bark as much when I leave her alone, happily playing with my rott all the time although she plays rough. She likes to jump to my bed and sleep with me, my rott just sleeps on the floor. I guessed it's warmer on the bed. However, she is still slow with commands, my rott picks up very fast compared to her, but that's odd right? usually is the other way round?

·
Banned
3,981 Posts
I was using toys/bones to distract him from barking.
Also, I have never left him alone in the backyard.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts