Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my puppy 4 days ago and noticed his big paws right away. The breeder explained that the "bone structure" of the knee area suggests that he's going to be a big boy, she said "at least 90 lbs." Everybody who's seen him so far, notices the paws also and comments on how big he's going to be.

Yesterday, he had his first veterinarian checkup. After criticizing the fact that his ears were cropped (he said, "it's so inhumane that it should be outlawed"), he proceeds to tell me that there's something abnormal with the way his legs look. After taking X-rays ($255) he tells me that the results are normal, but that his partners agree with the fact that the legs are not supposed to look like this.

I'm upset and confused to say the least, I need some input please! My breeder was recommended by another breeder in the area, and I don't think she'd sell me a puppy with a known (and obvious) problem. But the vet was very adamant about his finding. I'm attaching a picture to hear your opinions. Thank you!!!

Reactions: Darkevs

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oops, forgot the picture...

Attachments

Reactions: Darkevs

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
I'm confused as to what this vet's concern was?

You mentioned the puppy's feet, but then the legs. Are you talking about the carpal joints?

From the one pic, the pup looks very normal for a large breed puppy.

You say the rads were normal?

I dunno, the whole conversation with this vet sounds very confusing, and for him/her to inject their personal opinion about ear cropping seems a little inappropriate, unless you asked for their input.

Hey, I'm a natural ear fan myself, but I still think that behavior sounds unprofessional.

Cute pup, btw.

·
Premium Member
9,795 Posts
Oops, forgot the picture...
Ummm--try to get a picture with the puppy standing and the light source behind the picture taker and on the puppy.

From what I can see the structure really doesn't look abnormal. Was the vet more specific? Looks like a young male puppy with fairly heavy bone--feet turn out a little which is common in young puppies, elbows look tight and basically the legs look straight.

I'd be talking to the breeder for openers and telling them exactly what the vet6 said. If the X-rays showed normal leg structure the vet would have to tell me a lot more than "they look abnormal".

I might also ask the breeder if they can recommend a vet in your home area who actually knows something about the breed.

I'd also wonder how long the vet you saw had been out of vet school--you might go back for a look at the certificates which are usually posted in visible locations in exam rooms. Or if you aren't comfortable with that call the clinic and ask for the graduation date of each vet working there. Sometimes the younger vets simply haven't seen enough large breed puppies to actually know what an appropriate leg, carpus and foot structure is supposed to look like.

But I'll tell you that I'd change vets if only because he was stupid enough to berate a potential client for choosing to crop ears on a breed whose standard calls for cropped ears--and they were obviously professionally done. It's none of his business.

Good luck--hope you can find a better vet but I'd really like to see a better shot of the front--and when you are trying to assess leg structure you want to have weight on the front legs and feet.

·
Still a Pup
2,733 Posts
Hey there, you are in Pembroke Pines? Who is your vet? I am your "neighbor" of sorts. I am in Coral Springs. If you need help finding a vet please send me a private message.
BTW, your puppy's legs look normal.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
hahah- if you aint first, you're last..."Ricky Bobby" LOL

Sometimes all you can do is remind yourself that SOMEONE always has to graduate at the bottom of their class-this is true even with veterinarians.

I can only echo what the others have said-it's find a new vet time.

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
hmmmmmmmm, almost looks like the right pastern is longer than the left one. Which if so, would be a growth thing, definitely not a deformity.

Could just be that the weight is not on the right one the same as the left one has on it. Or my old eyes are seeing something that is not there, which IS possible. :)

a standing pic from a front view and side view would help.

handsome puppy!

·
joie de vivre
11,241 Posts
I agree with others - your pup's legs look fine and your current vet is an idiot that took you for a couple hundred bucks.

Find a new vet.

Reactions: ZenChari

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
A lot of small animal vets love doing all the extras to make lots of money. Especially if you seemed concerned. That's their cue to bill away.

·
Paralibrarian
6,168 Posts
Oh yeah, I neglected to comment on the "inhumane" thing.

Elka seemed far more bothered by her spay than by her crop. Is spaying inhumane? I don't personally think so. I guess it's an argument where the components don't quite "match", as cropping is arguably cosmetic and spaying is not (though my coworker's American Bulldog with her floppy ears apparently has ear infections all the time. Elka doesn't. Though my other coworkers non-cropped Dobies didn't either. So who the hell knows.)

·
_______
5,102 Posts
Sometimes all you can do is remind yourself that SOMEONE always has to graduate at the bottom of their class-this is true even with veterinarians. I can only echo what the others have said-it's find a new vet time.
Priceless.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts