Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

This is raptor my 9 week old puppy. He was separated way to early but was in bad condition so I decided to take him. He had fleas and ear mites. He also have stomach problems as that the bad breeders were already forcing hard food on these puppies. When I got him he was 7 weeks old and weighed about 5lbs. I’ve had him for about 2 weeks and I’m really scared for him, he weighs 8lbs and I believe that’s very underweight for a 9 week old Doberman. What healthy puppy food should I use to help him gain weight. ( As you can see his ribs are showing dramatically he’s eating now and in a way better amazing home, I would love advice) already took him to the vet also they said everything else is good he’s just very underweight and not growing faster. He has very bad nightmares a lot he cries while sleeping. I don’t know what these breeders did to him but he’s so attached to me now and is scared for me to leave him (which I never would) but he’s clingy.

·
Premium Member
7,829 Posts
Marrow bones are real high in calorie and puppies love chewing on that marrow.
Just make sure it is a shank or knuckle bone.
And large enough that pup cannot swallow whole.
Bones for puppy .....always under supervision.
Check with grocery stores or a local butcher Shop.
Bones must be raw........cooked bones can splinter and a big no no......
Cute little pupper.
Oh yeah, all Dobers are clingy.
We call them Velcro dogs.
They want to be with their humans.
Thanks for taking care of the little one.
You are paid ahead!

·
Registered
6,753 Posts
I would run this by the vet, too, to make sure that he doesn't have any internal parasites, then feed a high quality large breed puppy food.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I too would take him to the vet straight away. Not meaning to alarm you, but if the breeder was this bad there could be a number of things wrong with him. Parasites could be one possibility, but I'd also check for certain genetic conditions. He looks very small. The sooner you have this investigated the better. Good luck and please keep us updated!

Edit: I just reread your post - I had completely missed the part where you said the vet already saw him. Did he check for parasites and such?

·
Premium Member
9,957 Posts
View attachment 137434
This is raptor my 9 week old puppy. He was separated way to early but was in bad condition so I decided to take him. He had fleas and ear mites. He also have stomach problems as that the bad breeders were already forcing hard food on these puppies. When I got him he was 7 weeks old and weighed about 5lbs. I’ve had him for about 2 weeks and I’m really scared for him, he weighs 8lbs and I believe that’s very underweight for a 9 week old Doberman. What healthy puppy food should I use to help him gain weight. ( As you can see his ribs are showing dramatically he’s eating now and in a way better amazing home, I would love advice) already took him to the vet also they said everything else is good he’s just very underweight and not growing faster. He has very bad nightmares a lot he cries while sleeping. I don’t know what these breeders did to him but he’s so attached to me now and is scared for me to leave him (which I never would) but he’s clingy.
Yes, that's underweight but don't try to push weight gain too fast or you'll end up with a puppy with a nice case of diarrhea. I'd probably stick to a puppy food from Purina's Pro Plan line, or Eukanuba or Royal Canine--and feed at least four meals a day--at this point I'd feed as much as he'll eat. You could also add some cottage cheese or yogurt and I'd add a hard boiled egg and ground beef or turkey--lightly cooked in water to a sloppy joe consistency. And I wouldn't add any of these in large quantity--just a spoonful mixed into the kibble. Soften the kibble with some warm water. At his age he can definitely eat hard food. In fact most Dobe puppies are starting to be weaned by the time they are three or four weeks old--if it's a big litter the puppies need that extra nourishment. But the kibble is usually soaked to make it a little soft.

Good luck with your little refugee--how lucky for him that he has a good home.

dobebug

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, that's underweight but don't try to push weight gain too fast or you'll end up with a puppy with a nice case of diarrhea. I'd probably stick to a puppy food from Purina's Pro Plan line, or Eukanuba or Royal Canine--and feed at least four meals a day--at this point I'd feed as much as he'll eat. You could also add some cottage cheese or yogurt and I'd add a hard boiled egg and ground beef or turkey--lightly cooked in water to a sloppy joe consistency. And I wouldn't add any of these in large quantity--just a spoonful mixed into the kibble. Soften the kibble with some warm water. At his age he can definitely eat hard food. In fact most Dobe puppies are starting to be weaned by the time they are three or four weeks old--if it's a big litter the puppies need that extra nourishment. But the kibble is usually soaked to make it a little soft.

Good luck with your little refugee--how lucky for him that he has a good home.

dobebug
Thank you very much this was very helpful, he is doing much better and growing day by day. People keep telling me he is looking much healthier. He now eating 3-4 times a day and he is going to the restroom and not having problems as of right now. He’s energetic and loving and much happier.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I too would take him to the vet straight away. Not meaning to alarm you, but if the breeder was this bad there could be a number of things wrong with him. Parasites could be one possibility, but I'd also check for certain genetic conditions. He looks very small. The sooner you have this investigated the better. Good luck and please keep us updated!

Edit: I just reread your post - I had completely missed the part where you said the vet already saw him. Did he check for parasites and such?
Lol yes I already took him and she said that he could just be delicate to the food and not liking it, so she switched out the food and gave me a digestive care food for my dog to feed him with his hard food. He is now doing much better and healthier. He’s eating 3/4 times a day now and enjoying his food and he’s slowing gaining, thank you again for your insight.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Marrow bones are real high in calorie and puppies love chewing on that marrow.
Just make sure it is a shank or knuckle bone.
And large enough that pup cannot swallow whole.
Bones for puppy .....always under supervision.
Check with grocery stores or a local butcher Shop.
Bones must be raw........cooked bones can splinter and a big no no......
Cute little pupper.
Oh yeah, all Dobers are clingy.
We call them Velcro dogs.
They want to be with their humans.
Thanks for taking care of the little one.
You are paid ahead!
Thank you, this was very helpful and going to go get him that raw bone. He is now healthier and happier and eating much better and no digestive problems as of now. Thank you so much and he’s he is in a amazing home he’s my baby 🥺

1 - 8 of 8 Posts