Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this has been overdone, I've checked and couldn’t find the answers. :)

I am a complete novice to showing and I've been taking ring craft classes with Rupert for the last couple of months, using a nylon rope slip lead. We have our first open show at the end of January, ideally I would pick something up there, but I worry if I change the lead on the day, it could spook him?

He doesn’t pull at all, apart from when we first go into the room and he gets excited to see the other dogs. I was wondering when was the appropriate age to move from a nylon lead to a chain lead, if it is necessary (if the extra control is not needed), what thickness to go for and what kind of chain? Finally, if I could have some recommendations for a supplier (hopefully which ships to the UK!) that would be brilliant.

I like the chain on the dog Roblore Heaven Scent At Jasdekoma in this topic http://www.dobermantalk.com/show-ring/56992-uk-show-dogs-some-their-best.html but I wonder if this is too fine for a large, male dog? I don’t want to do any damage to his neck. The lady who runs the class recommended a snake chain, but I notice none of the dogs in the topic are wearing snake chains? :confused:

Would really love some thoughts on this :)

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Sorry if this has been overdone, I've checked and couldn’t find the answers. :)

I am a complete novice to showing and I've been taking ring craft classes with Rupert for the last couple of months, using a nylon rope slip lead. We have our first open show at the end of January, ideally I would pick something up there, but I worry if I change the lead on the day, it could spook him?

He doesn’t pull at all, apart from when we first go into the room and he gets excited to see the other dogs. I was wondering when was the appropriate age to move from a nylon lead to a chain lead, if it is necessary (if the extra control is not needed), what thickness to go for and what kind of chain? Finally, if I could have some recommendations for a supplier (hopefully which ships to the UK!) that would be brilliant.

I like the chain on the dog Roblore Heaven Scent At Jasdekoma in this topic http://www.dobermantalk.com/show-ring/56992-uk-show-dogs-some-their-best.html but I wonder if this is too fine for a large, male dog? I don’t want to do any damage to his neck. The lady who runs the class recommended a snake chain, but I notice none of the dogs in the topic are wearing snake chains? :confused:

Would really love some thoughts on this :)
I'd at least try out any new equipment before I went into the ring, and keep what the dog was used to on hand if they don't respond well to the new equipment. I *wouldn't* take a dog into the ring cold with new equipment,and think it would be a far better idea to try out new equipment far in advance.

When my males have worn chain collars in the ring, the collars were the diameter of the one on the dog you mentioned. I think a wider collar becomes distracting-you're supposed to see the dog, not a chain collar.

Just as many of my dogs have worn braided nylon collars as have worn chain collars, btw. It really depends on the dog.

I don't use those one piece dealies. The collar is a choke type collar whether it's braided nylon or chain. That's attached to a leather lead that's 1/4" thick. I buy my equipment at shows, but I believe Cherrybrook is a good online source for show supplies.

I don't recommend snake chains for short coated dogs like dobermans. It's very easy to wind up with tiny little cuts around the dog's neck with chains like that.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I like something that does not interfere with the look of the dog. I don't want to see the collar and lead first. Personally I like a small silver or black chain with a small black leather lead.

Linda George used a gorgeous set on my girl--it was a small tightly woven black and tan lead with a black choke. Beautiful set on both reds and blacks.

Reactions: Amelia_

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like something that does not interfere with the look of the dog. I don't want to see the collar and lead first. Personally I like a small silver or black chain with a small black leather lead.

Linda George used a gorgeous set on my girl--it was a small tightly woven black and tan lead with a black choke. Beautiful set on both reds and blacks.
Thank you! Do you have any pics?

·
Dedicated DoberFan
2,786 Posts
Hi Amelia. I've done very limited showing myself, and I don't have any decent close-up photos of show chains on my own dog; but hopefully these pictures will help give you an idea of links and sizes. Of all the collar types I've worked with, I prefer the De-Val "Curb-link" chain, #3-medium. The chain is essentially flat and slides easily, and I love that it comes in black! De-Val #3 Medium chain below:

The #3 is lightweight and fine enough to not be at all bulky for the show ring. It also makes a nice obedience chain (where appropriate). The #1-fine is very very fine with very small rings. The photo below is an exaggerated close up of the two sizes (it makes the #3 look huge, but it's not):

The curb-link is MUCH stronger than a Hex-link chain (the "tubular" type). I've used a Hex-link chain on my own dog; it looks flashier (IMO) and it slides nice but also slips a lot easier. These chains come with a little warning about not being guaranteed, show ring use on trained dogs only, and not intended for "strong or pulling dogs," hence why I prefer the Curb-link. :eek: Hex-chains pictured below, 3 sizes; I used the medium weight one.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Amelia. I've done very limited showing myself, and I don't have any decent close-up photos of show chains on my own dog; but hopefully these pictures will help give you an idea of links and sizes. Of all the collar types I've worked with, I prefer the De-Val "Curb-link" chain, #3-medium. The chain is essentially flat and slides easily, and I love that it comes in black! De-Val #3 Medium chain below:

The #3 is lightweight and fine enough to not be at all bulky for the show ring. It also makes a nice obedience chain (where appropriate). The #1-fine is very very fine with very small rings. The photo below is an exaggerated close up of the two sizes (it makes the #3 look huge, but it's not):

The curb-link is MUCH stronger than a Hex-link chain (the "tubular" type). I've used a Hex-link chain on my own dog; it looks flashier (IMO) and it slides nice but also slips a lot easier. These chains come with a little warning about not being guaranteed, show ring use on trained dogs only, and not intended for "strong or pulling dogs," hence why I prefer the Curb-link. :eek: Hex-chains pictured below, 3 sizes; I used the medium weight one.

Thank you very much again! Those pictures are excellent, I haddnt even considered a black chain, it looks very nice. I looked up the company and it claims 'Made in England' yet I cant find anything from them in the UK online! I'll have to look out for them. Thank you for the sizing help too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts