Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello i am new to this site and new to owning a dobie. Five weeks ago my boyfriend and i bought zelda, a four month old red dobie. She is the love of our lives and unfortunatley on sunday morning she was hit by a car. She is currently at the vet getting stable but tomorrow morning we are transporting her to a hospital to have a mri and catscan. She has a compound fracture on her spine and needs surgery. We can not afford the 8thousand dollar bill alone. I am asking for advice to get help.

·
Registered
866 Posts
So sorry to hear this. I don't know what to say for the $ end of it other than look to some of the rescue groups, maybe some group is able to assist. Really don't know...

·
Super Moderator
22,021 Posts
You can apply for Care Credit online. It's a credit card you can use for veterinary services, and most vets will offer at least 6 months with no interest on the card.

You might also look into Special Needs Dobermans to see if they can assist.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
I'd also make darned sure I knew what kind of prognosis for quality of life this poor pup is going to have since there's a compound spinal fracture. It's hard to lose them so young, but sometimes there are things far worse than humane euthanasia.

Sorry-this is something that needs to be said.

·
Whippet Up
1,588 Posts
I'd also make darned sure I knew what kind of prognosis for quality of life this poor pup is going to have since there's a compound spinal fracture. It's hard to lose them so young, but sometimes there are things far worse than humane euthanasia.

Sorry-this is something that needs to be said.

Yes, and thank you.

·
Banned
3,463 Posts
How about looking at what you have to sell so you can live up to your own responsibilities?
Before applying to Special Needs Dobermans I would second that advice. When Kinder (Rough Collie- there is no Special Needs Collies) was so sick 2 years ago and her medical bills were in the $5000.00 range, my husband sold his beloved Harley Davidson that I had bought him for our 20th wedding anniversary. He LOVED that bike~but he loved Kinder more :nicejob:

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
There but for the grace of dog . . . I'm so sorry for your girl. Our guy is insured, but we have a strong, long-term relationship with our vet, and I know that if we needed some time to pay a bill like the one you're facing, she wouldn't hesitate to extend terms. But if you're new to your vet, she or he may not be as accommodating.

You've received some good suggestions. Here in Ontario, vets have established the Companion Animal Wellness Foundation to help people in your situation: Companion Animal Wellness Foundation 2011

You might ask every vet you encounter whether they know of a similar program in California. And of course, family and friends can be a great help in catastrophic situations like this.

My very best wishes to Zelda.

·
BYB Hunter
1,058 Posts
Before applying to Special Needs Dobermans I would second that advice. When Kinder (Rough Collie- there is no Special Needs Collies) was so sick 2 years ago and her medical bills were in the $5000.00 range, my husband sold his beloved Harley Davidson that I had bought him for our 20th wedding anniversary. He LOVED that bike~but he loved Kinder more :nicejob:
This is SO sweet, I wish there were more people like him that would do what is necessary in this situation!! :)

Reactions: akturbo and astra

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Hello i am new to this site and new to owning a dobie. Five weeks ago my boyfriend and i bought zelda, a four month old red dobie. She is the love of our lives and unfortunatley on sunday morning she was hit by a car. She is currently at the vet getting stable but tomorrow morning we are transporting her to a hospital to have a mri and catscan. She has a compound fracture on her spine and needs surgery. We can not afford the 8thousand dollar bill alone. I am asking for advice to get help.
I'm sorry to hear your girl is so badly injured.

May I ask how the accident occurred?

My Whisper escaped from me while out walking one night, nearly a year ago, and was hit--I was also injured, but not nearly as seriously as she.

I had had a series of hits to the emergency funds just before this, and so was not in a very secure position to handle such a sudden and huge bill.

I sold most everything I owned, applied for CareCredit, got a second job, and applied to Special Needs Dobermans, as well as any of the groups they recommended I try. None of those groups were able to help, but SND did step forward.

In the end, many of my friends and fellow members here helped save Whisper's life and limb, but they kind of "knew" Whisper as she sort of grew up in front of them, here.

It's also my understanding that the interest and donations Whisper's case generated were greatly beneficial to other Dobermans listed with SND.

I've handled Whisper's ongoing care, and also try to "pay it forward" now, when I can, to the best of my ability.

You will have to choose what your own conscience feels comfortable with, but I'll link you a list of resources for folks having trouble paying their pet's vet bill:

Having Trouble Affording Veterinary Care? : The Humane Society of the United States

How to Pay for Expensive Vet Bills: Financial Assistance to Help Afford Special Pet Procedures, Care | Suite101.com

All that said, I agree your first step is getting that prognosis on your girl's quality of life. The injury sounds very grave. Vibes for her.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,481 Posts
RFR, I don't think I've ever said this, but.....:heartforyou:......for all you've done for your little girl dog. It shows a warm heart and a determined spirit (hidden way down deep somewhere underneath that prickly exterior LOL). The LOL comment is just funning--the warm heart and spirit stuff is for real. :)

·
Registered
14,479 Posts
gaaahhhh!!!! oooo - I dunno... damn..

·
Registered
370 Posts
Definately ask the vet what the long term prognosis is and quality of life etc etc. Weigh that with what you are able to put into the care, cost, etc for this dog. Also, some vets who are more into the monetary end of things might recommend surgery, when other things are just as effective.

My girl broke both her hips, 2 different vets in the same office...one was all for sending her to a teaching hospital doing high tech work on her. The other vet said at her age ( 4 months old ) she would heal just as good with 8 weeks of crate rest.

I did the crate rest and 3 yrs later, good as gold. But the by product of an injury like a break like this is... arthritis in old age. She will probably be miserable :mad:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts