Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is some history, Zeus is now almost three. He gets 2 walks/runs a day. Has a good sized backyard to play in if he needs to. He is very good with other dogs unless they try to take away his toys or attempt to mount or bite him in the park.

Two weeks ago, he was really sick (vomit & diarrhea with blood in his stool) and I took him to the vet and they had him for about 15 minutes and give him a shot of antibiotics. Since that day, when he's sleeping and if we try to pet him, he freaks out without warning and tries to attack us. He has never ever tried to attack us or show any aggression towards us. We've cuddled with him, slept with him, played with his ears, etc all of his life since he was a puppy and no problems. We still play with him and do all of the silly stuff like running around, hugging, etc. but when he's lying down, unless he opens his legs and offers us to rub him, he are staying away.

We've just avoided petting him now when he's sleeping but now I'm really worried about our safety. I spoke to the vet and they said they didn't do anything to him and he was really nice. They gave him a shot and all of his tests came back positive.

I am very saddened for all of the hard work we put into this guy and your feedback would be greatly appreciated.

:sobbing:

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
Did the vet determine the cause of the illness? Is he able to keep food down now and poop normally? Do you have any idea why he was sick?

Thyroid issues can cause a behavior change and all dobers should be tested for that. But since this was precipitated by illness, I am just concerned that pain isn't the cause for the aggression. The vet ruled out obstruction?

ETA: You mentioned in another thread that he eats an 11" rawhide every night. That stuff doesn't digest quickly. So I hope the digestive part of the problem is gone.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did the vet determine the cause of the illness? Is he able to keep food down now and poop normally? Do you have any idea why he was sick?

Thyroid issues can cause a behavior change and all dobers should be tested for that. But since this was precipitated by illness, I am just concerned that pain isn't the cause for the aggression. The vet ruled out obstruction?

ETA: You mentioned in another thread that he eats an 11" rawhide every night. That stuff doesn't digest quickly. So I hope the digestive part of the problem is gone.
Thanks for writing. They said it was probably something he ate that was sitting in the snow the entire winter when I took him for a walk. He is perfect physically and his poop has been normal since the day after the shot. He's slowed down on the rawhide's, only eats 1-3 per week now.

·
Why is the rum gone?
2,263 Posts
Second on the thyroid testing. It can cause aggression problems and temperament changes. I found Logan's when he was between 2 1/2 -3 years old, and my vet recommends testing all Dobers for it as a routine thing because it's so common in the breed.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
It may have nothing to do with the vet appointment or issue either. he is at an age where you often see certain behavir changes. I would get a thyroid done ASAP and because it can be serious find a good behaviorist.

The Dobe I put down for Human Aggression was relatively normal (although pushy jerk) until about 3. That's when I started noticing very bad signs. I'm NOT saying Zeus is going to end up like my boy. Just noticing the age similariy. It's also when my Dobe's sire turned aggressive.

Reactions: Jennifer01

·
Registered
303 Posts
Well...we're a bit concerned by this thread. Major is our first dobe and he will be 3 in August. So far, no signs of any aggression but this thread...especially the comment about their behavior sometimes changing at around 3 has us a little worried. I take it that this change is uncommon, but how common is it? We're gonna make an appt to have his thyroid checked so, thanks to this thread we'll stay on top of that. Thanks, in advance, for any help!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm so happy to read this thread. My 5yo dobe tried to bite someone that came to my house today. That is SO not in her typical behavior, but her behavior has changed over the past couple of months to where I didn't feel secure that her barking and growling were just her usual doberman protectiveness. Today proved that.

We had her thyroid tested a few weeks ago and it was "low normal" they said, but want me to get her tested further because of other symptoms she has - stinky, paw pad issues, skin issues, etc. It's just suspicious. Can a low thyroid really change their behavior that much? I really hope so because this episode today has me freaked out and wondering if I can/should trust her around my kids??

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I'm so happy to read this thread. My 5yo dobe tried to bite someone that came to my house today. That is SO not in her typical behavior, but her behavior has changed over the past couple of months to where I didn't feel secure that her barking and growling were just her usual doberman protectiveness. Today proved that.

We had her thyroid tested a few weeks ago and it was "low normal" they said, but want me to get her tested further because of other symptoms she has - stinky, paw pad issues, skin issues, etc. It's just suspicious. Can a low thyroid really change their behavior that much? I really hope so because this episode today has me freaked out and wondering if I can/should trust her around my kids??
Since she is around your kids a lot but not around the person who came by your house, I would think that she is all right with your kids. My gal is fine with only those who she is very familiar with in our house. All others have to be introduced slowly and carefully. But my gal is not your 'i love everyone' Dobe.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Yes to all concerned, the thyroid should be tested in all dobermans. I got my boy from a good show breeder, both parents tested normal, and he is hypothyroid. Diagnosed at 1.3 years of age (last week), so you never know. We were having skin issues that antibiotcs wouldnt take care of. There is all kinds of issues short and long term that the thyroid can cause.....GET EM CHECKED....... Its only 40 bucks.

·
Registered
508 Posts

Yes,it can change their behavior dramatically! Logan has been on Thyroid Meds since 2004 and one year the medication he was on stop being effective and he became really tired and he snapped at a Poodle at the groomers! I knew immediately it was his thyroid because it was so out of character to bark/ snap at the dog!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts