Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We took Arthur out for walk today. All the sudden there is a dog ran to him and bite him. There are two holes on his chest and one is bleeding. We put some medicine powder on it. Looks better now but something wrong with his leg. I think he got hurt but dont know it's sprain or not. What shoult I do now? ~~>_<~~

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is close. And they don't open on Sunday. One of my friend said they will recover soon. I don't need to worry. Is that true? I'm so worry and can't sleep....

·
Registered
6,775 Posts
See, these are the kind of posts that truely piss me off. Why did you spend time posting on a forum when you should have been to the vet by now! Isn't that the OBVIOUS thing to do? If you got bitten by a dog and had 2 punctures would you wait and see or get yourself to the hospital?? Punctures tend to get infected and with punctures they need to heal from the inside out. Your dog needs a course of antibiotics and probably pain meds. Get to an emergency vet!

·
Registered
57 Posts
We took Arthur out for walk today. All the sudden there is a dog ran to him and bite him. There are two holes on his chest and one is bleeding. We put some medicine powder on it. Looks better now but something wrong with his leg. I think he got hurt but dont know it's sprain or not. What shoult I do now? ~~>_<~~
Was your dog leashed? Did you get the other dog's owner information (or know where they live), because they need a visit from animal control to confirm the dog is vaccinated and you will probably need to take them to civil court to have them reimburse veterinary bills. If he was bitten bad enough to leave canine teeth punctures and now has a limp I'd have him at the E-vet.

Once he heals, if he is a dog friendly boy, you'll want to be sure he gets some controlled, positive experiences with dogs you know to be easy going. These sorts of incidents can make a dog nervous, fearful, or even dog aggressive especially if they occur early in life. I hope he's not too shaken up.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
Agreed 1000%!

See, these are the kind of posts that truely piss me off. Why did you spend time posting on a forum when you should have been to the vet by now! Isn't that the OBVIOUS thing to do? If you got bitten by a dog and had 2 punctures would you wait and see or get yourself to the hospital?? Punctures tend to get infected and with punctures they need to heal from the inside out. Your dog needs a course of antibiotics and probably pain meds. Get to an emergency vet!

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
I agree with everything DobermanLuv said. Hopefully your boy was on a leash and you can find the owner of the other dog so they can be made to pay your vet bills. He should have vet treatment. Can he reach his puncture wounds to lick them. If he can, hopefully he will keep them open so they can drain and heal from the inside out. Be sure to get him around his buddies for fun times so he wont become fearful or aggressive from this scarey experience. I'm sorry this happened and hope all goes well for you both.

·
Registered
716 Posts
WoW just wow!!!
I second this....!

Did the other dog have up to date shots?
Is the owner around?
Is the dog a stray?
Is the owner aware?
Has this dog bitten anyone else???

Seriously??? I hope you don't have children...
Sorry I couldn't resist saying this... GO TO THE VET...

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
This person sounds like they are very young and maybe this is their first dog telling them to go to vet right away even the ER vet is the right thing to do but be nice.Just in case the person is very young and does not know what to do in a emergency situation that is what this is.The dog may have a lung puncture,maybe bleeding internally this person was most likely all shook up did not think about how the dog maybe damaged on the inside. Also may not know most dogs are very stoic and do not show pain due to their throw back ancestors the wolf out in the wild they do not show pain because it could cause them to be prey to a larger animal like a bear or cougar.Dogs also do not show pain usually a non dog person or some one new to dogs may not know this information . Good Luck to your Fur Kid please let us know how you make out at the vets we really do care.Rays & Hugs to you both.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks a lot to everyone. Arthur still recover in the hospital. Doctor said his leg is fine. Hope he can come home soon.

He was leash and other dog ran out from the house. I know where the owner lives. He came out to stop he dog. At that time we thought there is only a scratch but when we came home we saw there are two holes and he was bleeding.

My friend said I should report to the animal control but I am worry the owner might do some bad things to us. We only live 4 block away and I have little kid at home....

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This person sounds like they are very young and maybe this is their first dog telling them to go to vet right away even the ER vet is the right thing to do but be nice.Just in case the person is very young and does not know what to do in a emergency situation that is what this is.The dog may have a lung puncture,maybe bleeding internally this person was most likely all shook up did not think about how the dog maybe damaged on the inside. Also may not know most dogs are very stoic and do not show pain due to their throw back ancestors the wolf out in the wild they do not show pain because it could cause them to be prey to a larger animal like a bear or cougar.Dogs also do not show pain usually a non dog person or some one new to dogs may not know this information . Good Luck to your Fur Kid please let us know how you make out at the vets we really do care.Rays & Hugs to you both.
Thanks a lot! Patches Mom,

I was so scare at that time and don't know what to do. That dog is about same size as Arthur. Arthur got shock too! He is 1.5 years old still a baby. He went to dog park every week and loves to play with others. I think he don't know why that dog bite him. And he didn't do anything at that time...

·
Registered
990 Posts
Puncture wounds can be dangerous if not treated properly. A dog's tooth is curved and long, so when they bite another dog it can puncture the skin but also damage the underlying muscle. Even though you might only see a small hole does not mean there isn't more damage under the skin.

My dog was attacked in a scenario exactly like this. He was given Rimadyl to keep the swelling down so the wound stayed open and healed from the inside out. I applied a warm compress twice a day. Physically he healed fine...mentally, not so much.

I think neighborhoods are one of the worst places to walk. In most areas there are not enough regulations or people to enforce them to prevent situations like this. I prefer to walk my dogs in public parks where a leash is required by law...basically stay away from as many idiots as possible.

You will need to do a lot of socialization work once he heals. Put yourself in your dogs "shoes"...imagine your walking in your neighborhood and without warning, someone comes running at you from behind a house and punches you in the face. Would you be scared to walk there again? Scared of people that resemble the attacker? Your dog may show some indicators of fear from this too. I would set up a time to walk in a safe area with someone or a few people that you know that have neutral dogs that can help bring up your dog's confidence.

·
Registered
625 Posts
ER vet for sure - at a minimum you'll need antibiotics for the puncture wound - with all the bacteria from the mouth of the other dog, puncture wounds can get infected easily and quickly. Everyone's posts above were right.

Will also need a once over for the leg and to make sure there are no other injuries. Hoping you've been to the ER vet already today...

·
Paralibrarian
6,168 Posts
Thanks a lot to everyone. Arthur still recover in the hospital. Doctor said his leg is fine. Hope he can come home soon.

He was leash and other dog ran out from the house. I know where the owner lives. He came out to stop he dog. At that time we thought there is only a scratch but when we came home we saw there are two holes and he was bleeding.

My friend said I should report to the animal control but I am worry the owner might do some bad things to us. We only live 4 block away and I have little kid at home....
If you know where the owner lives, I would definitely make sure that his dog is up to date on his shots, and I would also present him with my vet bills. You probably should report it to animal control; if his dog is willing to just run out to take a piece out of other peoples' dogs, it might not be "just a scratch" one day, but could be a dead dog. Incidents like this need to be on record so that nobody thinks it's a one-off.

I hear you, though, when you say you're worried about it. That's sucks, and is a difficult situation :(

I do hope Arthur gets better soon. I'm glad you took him to the vet.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It will be kind of scary to go to that owners house. The owner doesn't look very nice and there are three big guys there. I'm just a little woman. The bill is about $600. I can pay that and don't want get any trouble. Like I said, I have little kid at home. I think I'll just report to the animal control.

·
Why is the rum gone?
2,263 Posts
Yes, definitely report it. Any dog that causes serious injuries to another dog or a person needs to be reported to animal control. If you have concerns about your neighbor retaliating, let AC know when you call.

I hope your boy's feeling better soon.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts