Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I am new to the forum and have a few questions and am also looking for any suggestions you may have. I do not yet have Yoda but I will be getting him at the end of the month (it seems like I've been waiting an eternity!). I already purchased a crate and a few things but was wondering if there is anything else you all suggested. My list is as follows:

-A Crate (I was speaking to the breeder and she suggested buying a wire crate with a metal pan. I already bought a plastic crate and it is one for XL dogs also. After doing more research I learned I should get a smaller one, but I do not have the receipt. I also do not want to keep having to buy crates as the pup gets older I already spent $90 on that one!)

-A 16 ft leash, a 6 ft leash, and a harness

-A whole bunch of toys! I went to the dollar store and bought just about every one they had! I also bought a kong type thing.

-A bag of Blue Buffalo food and Iams (this is what the breeder feeds I am going to put him on BB though, unless you have a better suggestion.)

-Collar and tags (should I put the collar on when he first gets home?)

-Puppy pads

-Some cheap fleece blankets/pillows from the thrift store

-A clicker (I am going to try this, I also watched a lot of the kikopup vids you all suggested and I hope it works for me!)

-Lots of treats (Bil-Jac, Nature's Own for small breeds they were 50% off...should I use them even though they are for small breeds? Beggin' strips)

-Urine neutralizing spray

-Dog shampoo (how often do you bathe your puppy? is it a big chore?)

-A vet! (I couldn't buy her unfortunately lol)

Ok so that's my list so far. I was also wondering when I can get him into a formal training class. There are lots at the local pound and SPCA. I was going to go to these do you think they are reputable classes and can handle a dobie? When can I start to socialize him? When can I expect him to walk on a leash? Will he be able to run around with me or will his little puppy body not allow it until he is older (I mean for 2-3 mile runs)? If clicker training does not work what other methods have you used?

I would also like to get him into therapy dog work when the time comes. When are you able to start these classes and have any of you gone that route? Please elaborate on your experience!

I'm sure I will have more questions but these are the few I can think of now. Any input is greatly appreciated! :D

I can't wait to get my little fawn boy! He will be my first dog so I want to make sure I have covered my tail and his! I will add pictures of course when I get him.

TIA

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Hi faithy! and welcome to the great dober site.

#1 - I never buy pee pads for any dog...unless you want to take several months to house train it.
Having a pup think its ok to urinate any where in the house...sends a very bad message and delays the process / don't set the dog up to fail, from day1.
Both my puppies have been 100% potty trained by 11 weeks old...in 3 short weeks.
Last one needed to be taken outside every 40 minutes, in the first month...then she was fine.
When I was at work, pup never crated beyond 4 hours straight...to avoid soiling.
Pup slept in bed with wife & I, taken out in the middle of the night...during the first month....set alarm clock for 3:30 am.

Good food nutrition is wonderful and greatly cuts down on dog smell...my dogs are never bathed, so their skin doesn't dry out.
Avon Skin So Soft mixed in a water spray bottle, is a good mist for the dogs coat (and hand rubbed in)...I don't even do that any more.

Invest in good quality nail clippers or a Dremil abrasive wheel grinder to.

I wouldn't run a dobe till 18 months old...then the growth plates have closed / normal unpushed running around, at its own pace, is fine.

I prefer off-leash potty training, and the pup learns to recognize my voice and instructions...starting at 8 weeks old.
- but I live on a short dead end street & 100% supervise

·
Registered
416 Posts
It's okay that you have a large crate for Yoda to grow into. Just purchase a separater to keep him within a smaller space within the crate. If there is too much space for him to roam around, he WILL potty in the crate.

As for bathing...depends on how smelly he gets. We purchased this hand held shower head from Home Depot, and it's been super awesome for us.

No, your pup won't be able to run 2 - 3 miles with you until he is MUCH older. You'll learn quickly the endurance of your pup, which won't be much when you first get him.

He'll be too young to start right away with obediance class, but puppy socialization classes will be great for him. Just make sure to ask the vet if he's got enough puppy shots to start.

We haven't been able to be consistant with clicker training, but Duke is so smart, he learns with or without a clicker. Just make sure you have plenty of treats to keep him motivated.

Speaking of treats...I'm not a fan of the commercialized treats that you see on TV. Like humans, you are what you eat. We tend to stick to treats like small cubes of turkey/chicken/ham, cheese, apples, his own kibble...etc. Other than kibble, if we are able to eat it, he's able to eat it too.

·
Vicious Bitch.
3,079 Posts
I used to feed Blue Buffalo food but they have had salmonella out breaks recently so be careful I recommend Taste of the wild.
TOTW was recently recalled as well.

There are tons of great dog food information on this site. Just look up some different foods and see what works best for your pup!
:nicejob:

Good luck! I can't wait for pics!

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
TotW was one of the first few foods recalled, if I remember right. From what I've heard, Blue Wilderness hasn't had any issues with the recall.

Your list looks pretty good to me.

I bathe Dreizehn maybe 4 or 5 times a year. Dobes are notorious for dry coats and bathing just dries out the coat even more. I actually prefer baby wipes or a waterless bath spray as opposed to a full bath. Also, Dreizehn hates baths but in that respect all dogs are different, just make sure you introduce it slowly and positively.

I'm not an expert in Therapy Dog work but I know that your dog will probably need his CGC before you can start therapy classes. Most people I know who do therapy work didn't start the classes until their dog was about 18months to two years. They say that they wanted to wait until the dog was mostly done being a stupid puppy.

Last, I also don't really like commercialized dog treats (though I think Beggan' Strips smell really good). I feed my boy a high quality food and also high quality treats. I like Zukes for training but you can just as easily (and more cheaply) use cut up hot dogs and cheese.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Your list is a good start.
B careful of the dollar store toys, most I seen are not dobie proof.
I'd b careful of the pillow , if you intend to place in the crate, as some seem to like the batting material and ingestion can be fatal.
Even though your pup is small now, picture them 80lbs + and what might be cute now, won't when they are that big?
Enjoy your pup, and take lots of pics, cuz they grow like weeds on steroids.

·
Why is the rum gone?
2,263 Posts
Good start! Griffin loves his kong and Orbee balls, which are designed for tough chewers. I've had one Orbee ball for three dogs now (two Dobes and a Rottie, and my housemate's ACD mix plays with it too), and it still hasn't been destroyed.

I'd double check your treat labels though. Bil-Jac adds sugar to their dog treats, and Beggin Strips might too. The last thing dogs need is added sugar, mine are hyper enough without it. :D I also avoid anything with corn in it, just to be safe. It makes Griffin's dober-gas even worse.

Also, the airline style solid crate is just fine. I bought one, since I'd likely be moving during my dog's lifetime. He likes the den-like feel of the enclosed space, and it's airline rated. When he has to fly, I won't have to buy a separate crate for it. I bought a comforter for a twin bed at Ross for 15 bucks to line it with, and that works great for after your dog leaves the puppy chewing stages. It's cheap to replace, too. Target also has cheap comforters.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
I've never seen clicker training done correctly not work to train a dog. The first thing I do is enroll my puppies on a GOOD puppy socialization class. The sooner you can start SAFELY, the better. I take my puppies out before all shots are done but safely. We do NOT, for example, visit say a dog park or pet store - that's too risky. we do visit other safe places, invite people over, etc.

Reactions: faithy!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was looking into behavior classes at the local shelter for puppies. They are positive reinforcement and clicker training based. I'm going to go sit in on a class before I commit. I was also wondering if any of you have fawn/blue dobes and what you can do to ensure their coats are as healthy as possible. The dad was a fawn and his coat looked great actually, but I just want to be sure I give him the best chance. I have read putting olive oil on the food helps with coat issues. Do any of you have experience with this? If I am to do this can I do it as a puppy or should I wait until he is older?

Thanks again for all your help I'm definitely taking notes!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts