Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

My name is Kayla. I will be getting my Doberman puppy mid-March. I've been doing a lot of research and feel that this is a good community to get involved with.

I have been involved in the "Dog World" since age 7. I have shown several dogs in nearly every aspect of dog sport. I love it all and I can't get enough.

This Doberman will be my first short coat breed. My breeder mentioned that you don't have to bath often and she doesn't even own a brush. I find this hard to believe as she is heavily involved in Conformation. Could anyone lend advice on how they groom their Dobermen?

Thank you,
Kayla

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Using the BEST food on your dobes diet / a regular bath becames unnecessary.
(we are what we eat)

Our Amy only went into the tub, when she got sprayed by a skunk...lol
We don't even have dog smell in our home & min. hair loss...and she sleeps in our bed.
- she gets holistic/organic kibble plus 2 cooked meals (neat/veggies/rice)

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Hello all,

My name is Kayla. I will be getting my Doberman puppy mid-March. I've been doing a lot of research and feel that this is a good community to get involved with.

I have been involved in the "Dog World" since age 7. I have shown several dogs in nearly every aspect of dog sport. I love it all and I can't get enough.

This Doberman will be my first short coat breed. My breeder mentioned that you don't have to bath often and she doesn't even own a brush. I find this hard to believe as she is heavily involved in Conformation. Could anyone lend advice on how they groom their Dobermen?

Thank you,
Kayla
Welcome!!

My girl is a mix, but has the short coat of a doberman. She almost never gets dirty or smells, and seriously her coat needs no grooming, which is typical. With her coat the way it is, water almost seems to just run off of her, so even when she gets wet she doesn't have that wet dog smell like a dog with a longer coat would. We've given maybe 3 or 4 baths in about a year and a half. The best thing for a quality coat is to feed a quality food, if you feed a good food, you really shouldn't have to do much else. The only real regular grooming I would say I do is to dremel the nails, and I check ears alot, but they rarely need to be cleaned.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all! I can tell that I am going to like this site. Quick and nice responses :).

·
Premium Member
8,764 Posts
I occasionally use a hound mitt, but mostly just a small towel. When I am showing a dog, they do get baths.... but very little shampoo... mostly just a rinse in cool water. When they are not showing, a bath every 2-3 months keeps them looking and smelling fine.

Show grooming is pretty simple too. Pretty much start to finish, it takes me less than an hour to get a dog ready to show... and that includes the bath!

Reactions: KKpeltzer

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Welcome!

I bathe my boy every few months and between baths I use baby wipes to get dirt off. Between that and a good quality diet you should be fine :]

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Welcome! I personally do bathe my dogs regularly, roughly every 4-6 weeks. I don't generally brush them, though. I do have a hound glove and a Zoom Groom, and every once in a while I'll use those on them, but it's very rare.

Reactions: KKpeltzer

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
You will love the short coat. I personally bathe more often. With soap maybe once a month and rinse with water about once every two weeks. Not b/c she stinks but she likes to roll in the backyard. She also doesnt mind baths. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts