Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm going to adopt a 20 days old orphaned puppy tomorrow! yay!
orphaned being the keyword. Also being not very experienced with hand raising puppies, I am kind of thrown. I would love some advice. PLEASE OH PLEASE OH PLEASE!!

·
Vicious Bitch.
3,079 Posts
From a friend :)
I see, well, hopefully more experienced members will chime in.. but this sounds like a very bad idea. I would look for another nursing dog to have as a surrogate. Feeding and keeping the puppy well is one thing, they also need their mothers and littermates for mental development. Does this puppy have littermates?

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
Hi and I hope all goes well with the pup.

one big thing with handraising pups..........do NOT overfeed.

HUgz to the little one.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Welcome from Texas. Please read a lot on hand raising puppies. I've heard that it's very hard work. Perhaps see if there are any reputable breeders in your area that could help advise you.

·
Got mutt?
13,839 Posts
I've never hand-raised a puppy, but have had to hand-raise a few litters of kittens over the years. It is NOT easy. Absolutely talk with someone who knows what they are doing. There's a lot more to it than just sticking a bottle in their mouth.

Reactions: ggrogers

·
Mom of the Herd
238 Posts
I've never hand-raised a puppy, but have had to hand-raise a few litters of kittens over the years. It is NOT easy. Absolutely talk with someone who knows what they are doing. There's a lot more to it than just sticking a bottle in their mouth.
Boy is that the truth, my girl's mother would not nurse her so they put her in with another litter and she was taken care of by that mother. I've had to do kittens, up every 2-3 hours all through the night....Hope u have help and get much needed advice, I'm sure it's going to be a tough job. Pray all goes well for u and the baby !!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts