Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, my name is Ash and i live in Olathe, KS. I own a beagle/basset named Pudgie and i just adopted a 10 month old puppy named Sadie. Thing about sadie is the shelter say she is a hound mix, but people have said she looks part doberman. I'm here to see what people think, and if she is, im here to also learn as much as i can about the breed!

Here is Sadie:

And this is Pudgie:

i've only had her a day, but from her LONG legs and narrow head she looks very dobermanish to me. I'm not an expert, so thats why im here. What do you guys think?

·
Banned
675 Posts
It might help if you posted pictures of her standing up. From what I can see in the pictures you posted, it's possible. It's possible she's also part GSD, she could be a cross between the two. Or a cross of GSD and something else.

Her ears don't really look like hound ears.

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
Whatever she is, she is certainly a pretty girl.And welcome to forum from me and my girls.

·
Registered
33 Posts
i think that there might be some doberman..... i see it in the way she sits and how she has her front legs straight out in front. not to mention how slender she is in the flanks

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
she actually reminds me of what coco, my lab mix, and Duchess, my doberman would look like mixed together!!! lol:)

haha :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks all for the love :) im happy to be apart of this lovely forum. Lapdog your dogs are beauties!

And oh yes redgirl, pudgie is the biggest comic dog ive ever known. He's a big hunk of burnin love.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Hi to your pack from down south! Sadie strikes me as a shepherd/yellow lab or shepherd/hound mix (but you never know who could have been hiding in the closet). Definitely has that shepherd "widow's peak". Regardless, she's a lovely, healthy-looking young lady. And Pudgie...well...he is simply a rock star! For some reason, he reminds me of Elton John...must be that fancy coat. I'll bet he can sing too, can't he?

·
Extraordimary
4,969 Posts
My obedience instructor has a German shepherd dog / Doberman mix named Frank that she uses as her demo dog, and Sadie looks very much like Frank. It wouldn't take too much to make me believe she's a GSD/Dobe mix.

Just a friendly word of advice - Pudgie really needs to have a nail trim. ;-)

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
I love that picture of Sadie sitting with her leash coming forward!!! She really looks like a smart puppy! and I love those basset mix dogs! haha :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh yes, Pudgie is indeed a rock star, he has that famous basset hound howl. its lovely, but not at 4 am XD and dont worry Mary, those pics are old from back in January. Hes up for another grooming session soon, plus the routine shots. He loves going to the doctors/groomers/ANYTHING, hes such an attention getting boy :p

I think i'll stick with her being a doberman/shepard mix, i do see hound some in her. Some by the way she acts, and those floppy ears. Though i know dobes have them too. But just looking at her stalky legs and thin long muzzle, it just..somehow crys dobe to me! but like sooz said who knows who has been hiding in the closet! :) either way, shes a doll. I hope pudgie and her become great pals. I know when she hits 2 theres alot i need to be ready for though. Ugh, but worth it!

·
Banned
675 Posts
The thing about crosses is, that they don't always come out the same. I've seen several known Doberman crosses, mostly crossed with Labrador or German Shepherd. Your girl looks similar to most of the Doberman/GSD crosses I've seen, but I did see one dog whose owner told me it was a Dobe/GSD cross that looked much more Doberman than Shepherd. So you can't always predict.

There's nothing that I can look at in your pictures and swear to that there is Doberman in her. But she does look like what Doberman/GSD crosses sometimes look like. And it's a common cross.

A lot of times shelter personnel don't know what the dogs are, even if they're purebred. A year or so ago some of us saw an obviously purebred blue Doberman on a petfinder page listed as some kind of a cross, I forget what, several people wrote to the rescuers and got the ad corrected to what the dog really is.

There is a lady on the internet who adopted an uncropped fawn Doberman from a shelter, they told her he was a Weimaraner cross, but he's obviously pure Doberman.

As for your girl's ears, trailing hound ears are larger, and droopier. Sight hounds can have what are called "rose" ears, but a sighthound crossed with a GSD wouldn't be likely to produce hanging ears. Then again she's young and her ears may end up in different positions than they're in now. Still they look like a lot of uncropped Doberman ears do.

Her coloroing and markings are like a GSD and also similar to a Doberman, it's a very common pattern so it doesn't really rule it in or out. But it's a hint. And it lookls like there's an abrupt stop on the front of her chest where Doberman chest markings would begin.

The other thing is her tail. She has the tail carriage of an undocked Doberman. Doberman have surprisingly curled tails when they're undocked. I did a little search for Dob/Shep crosses and found a few who look like your girl, and some who don't, mainly because they're black with tan markings and some have longer hair. I'll post them here as soon as I figuer out how to do it, or if someone will help me.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks, i see this is indeed a complicated thing. But i just wanted to get some opinions from people who know what they are talking about when it comes to dobermans. And i surely got a great find here on this forum. Thanks so much. If you have any pictures of dobe mixes, you can e-mail them to me here at [email protected] and i will gladly host them and post them here for you :) id love to see what othr dobe mixes look like so i can compare them to sadie and view!

I guess we wont know much until she grows and fills out those legs. I will post more pictures of her as time goes on. I see shepard in the facial markings and some body markings. But im mostly stumped by the long legs and narrow snout and skull. So from reading on by all your comments has helped alot in determining what she might have in her. I really appreciate it, and i know she does to :p

·
Banned
675 Posts
Thank, I'll email the pictures to you. Another thing to consider is her personality, how she acts, both now and as she grows up. Dobermans and Shepherds have pretty different personalities, and hounds are different than both of them, that's another way to help judge what she is.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i think out of all the pictures Sadie looks most like this dog

its like i took the picture of her myself! thanks again for the pictures, they are great and i love comparing them to her. I think after seeing them i can deffinantely notice the doberman in her. Its just the main similarities. I dont know much about a dobermans personality so i have much to learn. And only having her for 2 days i have much to learn about her as well as her character. Thanks again!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts