Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My name is Kristina and my husband Tony and I live in the Boston, MA area. I have read the forums a bit over the last several weeks and registered today to ask a few questions. We are looking for a doberman puppy (not for show) and want to learn as much as possible. Looking forward to getting to know the community.

KP

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've emailed a few breeders, and two responded. As I continued to research them, I learned (from this forum) that one of them wasnt very reputable. That's when I realized I needed to learn a lot more - it's such a beautiful and high-energy breed, we want to be sure that we are contributing to the betterment of the breed with our choice.

Main question right now - what's the difference between a breeder listed on the AKC website and the DPCA website? I know the AKC does breed standards, but it seems like the DPCA breeders are more show-quality/more reputable, but I am still learning.

Many thanks for any insight!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I cant tell if my response posted or if it's awaiting approval... Trying again... Apologies if this is a double post!

I've emailed a few breeders, and two responded. As I continued to research them, I learned (from this forum) that one of them wasnt very reputable. That's when I realized I needed to learn a lot more - it's such a beautiful and high-energy breed, we want to be sure that we are contributing to the betterment of the breed with our choice.

Main question right now - what's the difference between a breeder listed on the AKC website and the DPCA website? I know the AKC does breed standards, and the DPCA is kind of a subset, but it seems like the DPCA breeders are more show-quality/more reputable, is that correct? How should I think of these two organizations?

Many thanks for any insight!

·
Super Moderator
21,122 Posts
Being listed on the AKC website really doesn't mean anything. The AKC will register all Dobermans, regardless of quality. The DPCA is the parent club of the breed, and sets standards for breeders to meet if they are to be considered ethical. It's certainly not foolproof, but it's at least a starting point. Everyone has different things they look for in a breeder - what I want may be different than what you want, but there's a minimum standard of expectation that we should all agree on.

This is an excellent read that I recommend: https://www.dobermantalk.com/breeding-breeders/302410-how-do-you-find-responsible-breeder.html

This another excellent article on how to evaluate breeders: https://dpca.org/BreedEd/buying-a-doberman-pinscher/

·
Got mutt?
13,599 Posts
The only requirement to list on the AKC Marketplace is to not have your AKC privileges suspended or revoked. So anyone from a casual "hey, let's have some puppies" type breeder to a good, responsible breeder, to a huge puppymill that farms out bitches to families in exchange for litters back can advertise there.

To be listed on the DPCA website's list, you have to be a member of the DPCA, and agree to follow certain guidelines. Of course, you can still have some outliers.... there are breeders on the DPCA list that I wouldn't take a puppy from if they gave it to me for free.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is fabulous - I had saved the DPCA link when I first started looking, but had forgotten to go back to it to follow all the links in it, so good reminder. And the DT thread is very informative as well. It's always great to hear from actual doberman owners. Off to do more reading - many thanks!

·
Premium Member
8,707 Posts
Welcome from East Central Indiana

I won't bore you with a lot of stuff here - But - If this is your first Doberman - there are many things to think about - Yes Breeders is top of the list -

Dobermans Not only need a lot of Attention - They demand it

Fenced in area to run in

Not dog park friendly - Or I should say - most would advise against it

DoberSharks ! https://www.dobermantalk.com/puppy-corner/295202-help-my-puppy-biting-me.html

Velcro is a great name for them - our Motto is -- where one go's - we all go -- lol true !

Obedient's ! A must

They are VERY smart and make the best look bad somedays = ME - lol

That is just a start - lol There are some of the best Doberman people in this country on here and they will be glad to help you - Like Dobebug - Or Aunt B. She has had Dobermans for ? Like 456 dog years ! lol

You might want to check out the tread " Crazy Doberman Looks " lol That should seal the deal for yeah

One more thing - Dobermans are a big commitment - Are you up to it ? :wink2::grin2::grin2:

Best of luck !!!

Ken

·
Premium Member
8,707 Posts
That a girl ! Oh - I can't tell how many times ours has tested us - lol And you know - we sit back and laugh about them all - Mr. Business has or I should say was our biggest Challenge - All Boy that's for sure - lol He has turned into the most loving Doberman I think we have ever had - and He's a worker - Love's to learn and so far - really likes the OB classes we have done + great Bonding time - we become a team - and if he do's something wrong in OB - then It's my fault - not his - lol

Look forward to you posting and seeing the Pictures - Oh I forget this part - Pictures are a must on here - lol

Have a great day out on the right coast !

...Ken

·
Big Lil pup
6,116 Posts
Well hello KP and welcome from the Great Pacific NW!

It is impossible to ask too many questions here. You may get a variety of slightly different responses. It will be up to you to choose which piece of advice you accept.

A few things that I would like to mention:

As your are researching a breeder, I suggest researching a local vet who is very familiar with the Doberman breed. Meet them in person. You will want a nice comfortable relationship with whatever clinic/hospital that you use.

Also... IMO, all Dobe owners should procure pet heath insurance as soon as possible. This breed has well known health issues and a good affordable policy could save you $$$$down the line. So this is also something that you should look into.

In any case...

So glad that you are here.

John
Portland OR

·
Premium Member
6,778 Posts
You found the best forum in the world.......determine a new question and try starting a new thread....good practice for you ...need help give give us a "poke" .....>:)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just heard from a breeder - Mystikos... so am wondering if anyone has experience with her. Someone on here recommended her, but the post was from 2009 so wondering if anyone has any more recent experience. Will start a new thread to ask.

·
Super Moderator
21,122 Posts
I just heard from a breeder - Mystikos... so am wondering if anyone has experience with her. Someone on here recommended her, but the post was from 2009 so wondering if anyone has any more recent experience. Will start a new thread to ask.
If that's the "Lovic and Leyna" breeding that's on the ground right now, it looks like they've done the appropriate health testing. I don't have any personal knowledge of the breeder, but I believe she has bred with Kettle Cove before and has a good reputation. Certainly I would say based on what we look for as a basic guideline for ethical breeders she would be worth talking to to see if you feel she's a good match for you, and if she feels you're a good match for her.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If that's the "Lovic and Leyna" breeding that's on the ground right now, it looks like they've done the appropriate health testing. I don't have any personal knowledge of the breeder, but I believe she has bred with Kettle Cove before and has a good reputation. Certainly I would say based on what we look for as a basic guideline for ethical breeders she would be worth talking to to see if you feel she's a good match for you, and if she feels you're a good match for her.
Yup, that's the one! She sent me their pedigree and health testing info (though I will prob ask to look at the paperwork) so I am currently reading up on all the things noted. It all seemed good based on my initial look/basic understanding.

Also looking into the difference between American/European lines (I understand the titles are not equivalent, but we're not looking to show).

PS Your avatar pic is adorable! Is that Richter or Sypha?

·
Super Moderator
21,122 Posts
Yup, that's the one! She sent me their pedigree and health testing info (though I will prob ask to look at the paperwork) so I am currently reading up on all the things noted. It all seemed good based on my initial look/basic understanding.

Also looking into the difference between American/European lines (I understand the titles are not equivalent, but we're not looking to show).

PS Your avatar pic is adorable! Is that Richter or Sypha?
Oh, thanks! That picture is Richter when he was maybe a year old? Although I do have a pretty similar photo of Sypha - I have them side by side on my desk at work.

DSC_0013 by Shanoa Delta, on Flickr

As far as Euro Dobermans go, it's going to be much harder to find someone breeding them reputably here in the US. Most of the quality Euro Dobermans here are working line dogs, so they might be "a lot of dog" for a first time Doberman owner. They certainly can be found, but if you haven't had a Doberman before I would recommend that you probably go with American lines. Just my two cents.

·
Premium Member
12,761 Posts
I did not read this entire thread. My attention span is a big fat zero.

Just wondering? Have you considered a rescue group? Some awesome dogs come through that channel.

I started out fostering and then got the pick of the litter when the approvals to adopt,were being handed out. I got first pick of the dogs up for adoption.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts