Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone
Just want to introduce myself.
I live in Michigan with my 2 dogs, Roxie ( name needs changed, she is new) a 4 yo uncropped Dobe and Mabel our 2 year old springer mix.

I have liked Dobes my whole life, but she is only my second. The first one I got was also an older female, but wasnt fixed. I took her in after a few months to have her spayed and she passed. She had VWD, but my vet, nor I knew it. Here to make sure I know everything I can so I can make informed decisions.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
Welcome from SW Michigan. Pretty girl you have there. So sorry about your first girl. :( There is a DNA test that will tell you your girls vWD status. It real simple, just a cheek swab. You can order the swab kits from VetGen and you get the results back within a couple of weeks.

Once again welcome and enjoy the forum.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you. I been lurking a while, read all the stickys in the health section, etc.
Hannah, my first Dobe passed about 12 years ago, before I had a clue about the net. I never would have guessed that with docked tail and cropped ears, that getting her fixed could be a bad thing. Live and learn, I just wish she didnt have to pass for me to learn the lesson. She was quite the cool dog. I have a new vet now and Rox has been tested for EVERYTHING! She is urinary incontinent, but is on Proin and Ive only saw one small puddle and a couple drops, but we forgot to give her the pill the one evening, so...

Oh, and while Im not wild about the name anyways, my daughters step-mother is quite offended.....I think she thought we named our dog after her, as some sort of childish dig....I dislike her, but I have a life and wouldnt do that. So, there is the story behind changing her name. :p

·
Broadway Dobermans
846 Posts
Welcome from Toronto!
Pics please.
Something to think about with fosters and rescues.....
If they know their name already....it is sometimes one of the only 'constants' in their life.
With my last foster.....I hated his name.....UNIQUE. But, if he had even remotely responded to it, turned his head, recognized the word at all, I would have kept it.
Since he didn't I changed it to Buster. If you girl knows her name, you might consider keeping it. AND....it's a great name!

PICS!!!

·
Super Moderator
22,021 Posts
Welcome from Toronto!
Pics please.
Something to think about with fosters and rescues.....
If they know their name already....it is sometimes one of the only 'constants' in their life.
With my last foster.....I hated his name.....UNIQUE. But, if he had even remotely responded to it, turned his head, recognized the word at all, I would have kept it.
Since he didn't I changed it to Buster. If you girl knows her name, you might consider keeping it. AND....it's a great name!

PICS!!!
Sometimes, with fosters, I want to give them a "new start" with a new name, especially if they've not had a great life before they came to rescue. I never know if they might have bad associations with their name, so I like to give them a new one. It's so easy to teach a new name with a clicker and treats, and it gives them a really positive association to that new name really quickly.

Just a different perspective to share.

Welcome to the forum, OP!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, she had a good life before me. She isnt really a rescue, just an older girl that neeeded a new home. Her family had a baby and with the incontince issue....

I have changed several names over the years, mostly horses though. Its not hard if one is consistant and doesnt use the old name. I dont think they really care about it as much as us humans do.
I been liking Hazel, but my daughter likes Kyra...we shall see what we do. Knowing us, nothing, LOL I have a 1yo cat that has no name at all! ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts