Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, im knew to the site, i put my doby to sleep in 3 years ago, it was a tuff time. ive been dogless since but i am ready to start looking for another doby. my dob had some health issues, he got the best i could do for him but he was a mess...(kidney and liver failure)

in searching for another dob, im looking into really finding a breeder who is trustworthy. i want to pay more attention to its heatlth, tempermant and such....

i am from pittsburgh pa, does anyone no a good breeder on this side? im definately willing to travel for the right one.

thanks in advance...

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss and know how painful that is.
Here is a good place to start your search: http://www.dpca.org/
Also check out the link Mary has provided in the breeders section of this forum. There is a wealth of information there to help you chose the right breeder. Another good place to check out is dog shows in your area. That will give you a chance to see some dogs and breeders and perhaps get some referrals.
Good luck in your search!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Welcome to this site. I am so sorry for your loss. I just lost my Lab about a year ago and it is sooo difficult to have to say good-bye to an old friend. We just kind of miss them forever.

I'm so glad though, that you're ready now for a new pup to love. I sent you a p.m. Best wishes. Hope you stay here and visit with us.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
hotpursuit said:
hello, im knew to the site, i put my doby to sleep in 3 years ago, it was a tuff time. ive been dogless since but i am ready to start looking for another doby. my dob had some health issues, he got the best i could do for him but he was a mess...(kidney and liver failure)

in searching for another dob, im looking into really finding a breeder who is trustworthy. i want to pay more attention to its heatlth, tempermant and such....

i am from pittsburgh pa, does anyone no a good breeder on this side? im definately willing to travel for the right one.

thanks in advance...
Welcome to the site and the best forum in the world.. I think you will find us friendly, helpful and a little nutty... I am sorry for your lose.. It must have been very hard to put your baby to sleep but I know that you did it for all the right reasons.. Please post a photo in our rainbow bridge section of him.
We hope to hear a lot more from you in the near future on your quest for a new doberman friend..

·
Registered
491 Posts
Welcome to the site. I feel bad for your loss. Our first Dobe, Bianca, died at the age of 10 and it's been 17 years ago---I still have a big place in my heart for her. Hope you find the perfect pup for you.
Paul

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Welcome to the site! I'm sorry for your loss, many of us have been there and have had to make that heart-wrenching decision. I'm sure you will find comfort here and answers to your questions :) It will be exciting for all of us to follow you are you find a breeder, bring home the pup and watch him grow up :)

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum,i echo everyone's sentiments above it is so hard to lose dobe, i have lost two in the last three years,time heals but always remember the good times you had with him.
i also say get to a show and talk to folks that know local breeders and ask them to point you in the right direction,it worked for me. Good luck!!

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Welcome to the forum, so sorry to hear about your loss. Let us know if you find any good leads on breeders for your future pup okay.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thank you for all the responses... very kind.

now i may be opening a can of worms on this ?.... i have found a few liters in my search and continue to check out others.. (want to talk to LIZ, she has some really good looking dobes) i have goteen prices from 500 all the way up to 3500. i understand enough about blood lines and all for show/work dogs. what i am looking for is a dobe that will will be a great house dog, with a ton of obedience training, will not breed, nor show, just a great well trained dobe. with that said it seems that the high dollar winning blood lines are hoping for a continued line of show dogs and such, breeders dont seem to want there pups go to just a home... i hear all kinds of bad things about the back yard breeders, but is it really bad? i dunno. no one can garuntee the life span of a 500$ or the 3500$ dobe. is it a bad thing to pick a less expensive pup from a litter and love it as much as one would love the 3500$ one. ok so you want to make sure is is healthy, I can take my pup to the vet and have him do a good checkup on him, is this good enough? with all this said, we have had a total of three dobes, all where well behaved/trained. my brother still has taz at 14 yrs old. these were all 500$ish local bred dogs...im confused... wouldnt taking some of the $$ that you would of spent on a 3500$ one and putting a good chunk into good training and such be a good benifit and rewarding also.... i guess in short, does the price tag necessarily reflect the kind of dobe you end up with, im just not so sure....

·
Registered
273 Posts
What you should be getting for the higher priced dogs is health testing on the parents and grandparents, etc. Both parents should be tested for vwd, thyroid problems, hip dysplasia, eye problems, and have a current screening for cardio just as a start. All those things are expensive. It's also extremely doubtful that someone who is breeding to truly better the breed owns the stud - so that's another 1-2 thousand into the cost of the litter. Be sure to read Mary's buying guide http://members.execulink.com/~korevaar/buyingguide.htm

Also, it's doubtful on a $500 dog that you are going to get a puppy with the ears already cropped, much less cropped by someone who does a good job. A good breeder will have the ears done, healed and on their way to standing before they send the puppy home with you.

I have one of each - a byb dog (a rescue who's whole litter was dumped into the pound) and a well bred dog. The difference in temperament, confidence and personality is night and day. The byb dog has cost me a ton of $$ over the span of her 6 year life in vet bills, the well bred dog has never been sick (knock on wood)

If you only want a housepet, and money is an issue, why not adopt a rescue? They've been screened by the rescues and they can match you to the personality of the dog. A complete list of rescues can be found at www.dpcacope.org. Adoption fees are generally $200-$300, and they already have all their shots and have been spayed/neutered. Rescues sometimes get puppies, and the majority of the dogs they get in (at least around here) are under two and just need some obedience training.

PS., I know both of the breeders Jim recommended. If you want to talk to one, call Liz, but in my opinion, I'd skip the other.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
In addition to what Blackdog has said, why support a byber? They don't really love the breed. They just want to make a quick buck. If people stopped buying from bybers then they would stop producing back to back litters. Maybe some of the health and temperament problems would decrease since a reputable breeder screens for health and (most) won't breed a Doberman that doesn't have proper temperament.
In adddition, buying from a reputable breeder guarentees support from the breeder for the life of the dog. That includes taking the dog back if you ever find yourself in a situation that you can not keep your dog. A byber will not take a dog back. That is why so many end up in rescues.
Just food for thought.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well i just picked up my new baby girl, she is a cutie, yes, ill be getting some pics up asap. ok so how did i decide on which doby. well i am a police officer, i went and spoke with our k9 instructor, told him a few liters, he checked em out and told me to get the one i got... she will be fixed asap and he is going to help me train him in obedience and some protection/guard work.... i want to become better in being a handler and eventully possibly do shutsand (sp) but for right now shes gonna be my bestest buddy.... any ideas on a name? diesel? turbo? badonka? looking for someting unique...

thanks again and i will stay on here and keep you all informed of her progression, speaking of which she went potty #1 and 2 outside tonight, she actually was crying so i took her out and she did her thing... such a good girl at only 8 weeks old.:clap2:

·
Registered
273 Posts
Congrats!

Diesel & Turbo both sound like male names to me. What's her registered name? Sometimes you can get nice call names from that.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts