Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a bit late for me tonight but I decided to hop on and introduce myself finally. My name is Addison (aka Addi)! I live in Seattle, WA and have 3 cats. I currently do not own a Doberman but I have plans to purchase one in the (hopefully) somewhat near future. I'd like to train my pup to be a service dog for myself. (Yes. I am prepared for all the dirty looks I'm going to recieve, and comments. Especially because they will have cropped ears and a docked tail. And yes, I'm looking for a health-testing reputable breeder.)

I just wanted to introduce myself and say hello. So... hello!

·
Super Moderator
21,688 Posts
Welcome.

Reactions: LadyDi and melbrod

·
Big Lil pup
6,306 Posts
Hi Addi. Welcome from Oregon!

We are fortunate to have a number of very good breeders in the Pacific NW. When you start looking for a pup, you can search the DT forums (Breeding and Breeders, specifically for discussions mentioning West coast or PNW breeders. Or reach out and hopefully members can steer you in the right direction.

FYI... Current situations seem to have limited the availability of well bred Doberman puppies, hence the typical wait period may be extended.

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Addi. Welcome from Oregon!

We are fortunate to have a number of very good breeders in the Pacific NW. When you start looking for a pup, you can search the DT forums (Breeding and Breeders, specifically for discussions mentioning West coast or PNW breeders. Or reach out and hopefully members can steer you in the right direction.

FYI... Current situations seem to have limited the availability of well bred Doberman puppies, hence the typical wait period may be extended.

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR
Thanks for the head's up! I'm currently a little nervous about looking for a puppy atm because I haven't saved up the funds for one yet, but!! I do want to look for a decent puppy with decent prices. I've noticed a LOT of breeders out here in the PNW are fairly expensive right now, especially because of Covid-19 panic puppy buying lmao. I don't mind waiting for the right pup because I still have to save up for it. I might even start getting things for the puppy BEFORE I get the puppy. I.e. a crate, toys, etc. But that'll have to come after my household moves 'cause we're planning on moving from this place when our lease is up in April haha. So, yeah! Waiting isn't so bad. :)

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
25,869 Posts
Just a hint--save up enough to have a cushion after you buy the puppy--dobermans can be expensive healthwise. And it's a very good idea to purchase health insurance when your dog is just a puppy. You won't have any pre-existing conditions to deal with that way.

I'll don't know what you are calling expensive, but you can probably expect to pay at least $2,500 or more for a quality puppy. They should come with their ears cropped already--and of course all of the other things you look for, like health testing on both parents, etc.

If you're not seeing that, you probably haven't found a good breeder.

·
Super Moderator
21,688 Posts
Thanks for the head's up! I'm currently a little nervous about looking for a puppy atm because I haven't saved up the funds for one yet, but!! I do want to look for a decent puppy with decent prices. I've noticed a LOT of breeders out here in the PNW are fairly expensive right now, especially because of Covid-19 panic puppy buying lmao. I don't mind waiting for the right pup because I still have to save up for it. I might even start getting things for the puppy BEFORE I get the puppy. I.e. a crate, toys, etc. But that'll have to come after my household moves 'cause we're planning on moving from this place when our lease is up in April haha. So, yeah! Waiting isn't so bad. :)
It's good to start researching early, but you certainly don't want to impulse-buy a puppy. Waiting until you have a stable living situation is a good idea. I know SO many people who have had difficulty renting with a Doberman.

I want to mention that quality breeders haven't raised their prices due to the pandemic or due to demand for puppies. I've seen the average for quality bred Dobermans on the "coasts" seem to be at least $3000-$3500 now...it's ticked up in the last few years just due to the cost of breeding and raising a litter properly. I would plan to save up for your puppy, and also plan to carry pet insurance (just my recommendation based on experience). I also recommend planning a "dog budget" with realistic expenses for food, training, vet expenses not covered by insurance, and all the other things that come with owning a dog so you're prepared for all of those costs, and it's nice to have a bit of savings set aside so you aren't overwhelmed by the costs of puppy ownership. It does add up!

But you can definitely start researching breeders now. It can be nice to follow what a few breeders are doing. When dog shows start happening and allow for spectators, you can go and watch, and see the dogs in person, to see if they are a good fit for you. You can chat with owners of dogs from the breeders you like to get a sense of their personalities. So much you can do to prepare!

Reactions: MMcCown and melbrod

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just a hint--save up enough to have a cushion after you buy the puppy--dobermans can be expensive healthwise. And it's a very good idea to purchase health insurance when your dog is just a puppy. You won't have any pre-existing conditions to deal with that way.

I'll don't know what you are calling expensive, but you can probably expect to pay at least $2,500 or more for a quality puppy. They should come with their ears cropped already--and of course all of the other things you look for, like health testing on both parents, etc.

If you're not seeing that, you probably haven't found a good breeder.
Oh yeah I'm definitely gonna save up a cushion for after I buy the pup! I'd like to save up at least 6 months to a year's worth of food, toys, vet, and other expenses just in case something happens!

I've looked into many breeders, but like MeadowCat said... breeders on the coast seem to be around 3k-3.5k per pup. I might end up buying from a breeder elsewhere tbh and have the pup shipped, but I'm still debating on that, mostly 'cause I'd like to temperament test the pups myself. But yeah!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's good to start researching early, but you certainly don't want to impulse-buy a puppy. Waiting until you have a stable living situation is a good idea. I know SO many people who have had difficulty renting with a Doberman.

I want to mention that quality breeders haven't raised their prices due to the pandemic or due to demand for puppies. I've seen the average for quality bred Dobermans on the "coasts" seem to be at least $3000-$3500 now...it's ticked up in the last few years just due to the cost of breeding and raising a litter properly. I would plan to save up for your puppy, and also plan to carry pet insurance (just my recommendation based on experience). I also recommend planning a "dog budget" with realistic expenses for food, training, vet expenses not covered by insurance, and all the other things that come with owning a dog so you're prepared for all of those costs, and it's nice to have a bit of savings set aside so you aren't overwhelmed by the costs of puppy ownership. It does add up!

But you can definitely start researching breeders now. It can be nice to follow what a few breeders are doing. When dog shows start happening and allow for spectators, you can go and watch, and see the dogs in person, to see if they are a good fit for you. You can chat with owners of dogs from the breeders you like to get a sense of their personalities. So much you can do to prepare!
Yeah it's definitely ticked up from what I can see. If I'm being honest, I might just get the pup online and have them shipped, but I'm still iffy on that. We'll see how things work out I guess!

Also I'm not worried about renting with a doberman mostly because I'm disabled and I can label a pup as my ESA until I've trained them fully and then they'll be a full-fledged service dog! Which means as long as they're not destructive and stuff, no-doberman-places can't really say I can't have them.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
25,869 Posts
I think I'd be very very careful buying a dog sight unseen, especially if I were planning to make him my service dog. And yeah, keep in mind that not all dogs are cut out to be a service dog...if you're going with a puppy, do lay some plans in place just in case he's not exactly what you need. You might end up with something like this LOL
Dog Isn't Good At Being A Service Dog - YouTube
Ryker
Double H Canine Training Academy

I'd try to find a breeder who is specifically breeding for dogs that are up to service dog work--maybe even one who has worked with or trained service dogs--that would increase your chances that a pup they produced would be good for the job.

And let that breeder know exactly what you are looking for--every pup in a litter has a different personality, and a good breeder will try to place his puppy into a home he will fit into. And you need to be able to trust the breeder to tell you if they don't think ANY of the puppies from a particular breeding will be what you are looking for.

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
Oh yeah I'm definitely gonna save up a cushion for after I buy the pup! I'd like to save up at least 6 months to a year's worth of food, toys, vet, and other expenses just in case something happens!

I've looked into many breeders, but like MeadowCat said... breeders on the coast seem to be around 3k-3.5k per pup. I might end up buying from a breeder elsewhere tbh and have the pup shipped, but I'm still debating on that, mostly 'cause I'd like to temperament test the pups myself. But yeah!
Popping by to share my opinion and experience on these 2 points. A) I caution against shipping. I truly think that experience is what is making crating Beau so challenging. Formative age, bad experience, etc. B) That noted, I hit the jackpot on temperament and have nothing but good things to say about the breeder to send me a puppy that has 98% of the personality I wanted. The stars aligned and his parents health tests were good, too. If there is anyway you can see the puppies (while letting the reputable breeder match a pup to you) I strongly advocate for that.

Good luck and keep us posted!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think I'd be very very careful buying a dog sight unseen, especially if I were planning to make him my service dog. And yeah, keep in mind that not all dogs are cut out to be a service dog...if you're going with a puppy, do lay some plans in place just in case he's not exactly what you need. You might end up with something like this LOL
Dog Isn't Good At Being A Service Dog - YouTube
Ryker
Double H Canine Training Academy

I'd try to find a breeder who is specifically breeding for dogs that are up to service dog work--maybe even one who has worked with or trained service dogs--that would increase your chances that a pup they produced would be good for the job.

And let that breeder know exactly what you are looking for--every pup in a litter has a different personality, and a good breeder will try to place his puppy into a home he will fit into. And you need to be able to trust the breeder to tell you if they don't think ANY of the puppies from a particular breeding will be what you are looking for.
Yep! Don't worry, I've done a TON of research on this! What to look for in a pup, what to talk to the breeder about, what to look for in a breeder, etc. I have a whole list of things to look out for, so I'll be fine!

I don't mind buying a pup sight unseen as long as the breeder works with me on the temperament/personality of the pup. I'd like to video chat with them and have them perform the temperament test on the puppies they think would be good for me, that way I can see if they may be fit for service work or not. :) Thanks for the advice though!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Popping by to share my opinion and experience on these 2 points. A) I caution against shipping. I truly think that experience is what is making crating Beau so challenging. Formative age, bad experience, etc. B) That noted, I hit the jackpot on temperament and have nothing but good things to say about the breeder to send me a puppy that has 98% of the personality I wanted. The stars aligned and his parents health tests were good, too. If there is anyway you can see the puppies (while letting the reputable breeder match a pup to you) I strongly advocate for that.

Good luck and keep us posted!!
Thanks for sharing your experiences! I'm not too worried about a dog not liking the crate, there are ways around that. I'm going to be looking for a breeder who gets the pup acquainted with the crate before shipping them if I do go that route.

And yes, I like the idea of seeing the pup beforehand! As I mentioned to Melbrod, I'm going to see if the breeder I end up going with will do a video visit with me and perform a temperament test on the puppies they think might be right for me, to see if they are what I'm looking for. Or someone around them, rather... maybe not the breeder themselves because that might influence the puppies. We'll see!

·
Super Moderator
21,688 Posts
There have been quite a few discussions on this forum about Dobermans and service work, and the difficulty of finding a Doberman suited to it, as well as the challenges of the breed in using them in service work. I know several people who do use Dobermans as service dogs, and most of them will definitely caution against selecting this breed as a breed for service work for a variety of reasons.

You might want to dig up those threads to read them, particularly the ones that Jazi has posted in, as he uses a Doberman service dog and is very insightful and honest about the challenges and what you would want to be careful about in terms of looking at breeders.

Reactions: LadyDi and melbrod
1 - 18 of 18 Posts