Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, my name is Brian, and I am from Yorktown, VA. My wife, my 5yr old daughter, and I have decided to add a Doberman to our family. I will be spending a lot of time on this forum as it seems to be a wealth of knowledge. This will be our first Doberman, and we are very serious about making good decisions and doing it right the first time. I've already spent hundreds of dollars on various training DVD's, books, etc. (yeah, I'm a research nerd, lol), and we ALL plan to actively participate in our dog's training.

In our home, it's only the three of (us plus my daughter's Corn Snake). We maintain a calm and peaceful household. We also own our own business (Electrical Contractor) and we plan to take our Doberman to work everyday. We have five office employees total, plus there will be multiple "field employees" stopping by our office on a daily basis. In addition, we receive daily deliveries from UPS, FEDEX, USPS, and several of our electrical vendors.

This brings me to my first question: Are we going to have any problems with a Doberman being exposed to so many visitors on a daily basis? We CANNOT afford to have an employee or vendor be bitten by our dog, as we will most certainly be sued.

Temperament is very important to us due to the social environment at work as well as the fact that our neighborhood is full of children (who like to all play in our yard). Are there certain breeders we should seek out and certain ones we should avoid? For example, I've read that the European Dobermans are better suited for "protection" and therefore, may be more "intense" and/or "dominate" than American Dobermans. Is this true?

I've also read that females tend to be a little less dominate, so I guess we should find a female???

Any insight or advice you all have to offer would be greatly appreciated. We are very excited about owning a Doberman and look forward to meeting up with other Dobermans (and there owners) in our area! Thanks again for any recommendations you have to offer!

Brian

·
Registered
990 Posts
Hello from Gloucester, VA!

You have come to a great source of information on dobes. First, my advice would be to not expect to get a puppy right away. Usually reputable breeders have few litters per year, some even have waiting lists.

As far as suggestions for breeders, check out Goldgrove. They are in NC and I have only heard good things about their dogs...many are also active in sports like agility. There are plenty of other reputable breeders, but Goldgrove is one of the closest to you.

Most importantly, take your time and stick around here you will learn so much that will pay off when you get a dog.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What led you to decide on the doberman breed?
There were many factors that lead us to choose a Doberman:
  1. We wanted a medium to large sized dog.
  2. We read that they are considered to be "velcro dogs" which is VERY appealing to us.
  3. We do NOT want long dog hairs all over our house and cloths and felt like the short hair of a Doberman would be easier to deal with.
  4. The fact that Dobermans are highly intelligent and easy to train was a factor.
  5. The fact that Dobermans are the COOLEST looking dog breed in the world certainly played into our decision!!!
  6. When my daughter is taking her for a walk, we won't have to worry about a stranger trying to mess with her.
  7. Protective qualities are appealing as long as the dog is not aggressive towards kids, neighbors, friends, etc.
  8. I'll now have a jogging partner!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello from Gloucester, VA!

You have come to a great source of information on dobes. First, my advice would be to not expect to get a puppy right away. Usually reputable breeders have few litters per year, some even have waiting lists.

As far as suggestions for breeders, check out Goldgrove. They are in NC and I have only heard good things about their dogs...many are also active in sports like agility. There are plenty of other reputable breeders, but Goldgrove is one of the closest to you.

Most importantly, take your time and stick around here you will learn so much that will pay off when you get a dog.
Thank you Lelise. I checked out Goldgrove's website. Says they have puppies due Feb 2012.

·
Vicious Bitch.
3,079 Posts
Thank you Lelise. I checked out Goldgrove's website. Says they have puppies due Feb 2012.
They may not have any more available pups. I would email and check.

Socialize. Get your puppy around everyone and everything from s younger age. Then you won't have any problems.

Welcome from the Fredericksburg area! :)

Good luck on your search!
:wavey:

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Welcome to DT.

A well bred and well socialized dog will do find meeting a lot of people. Definitely consider your breeder very carefully and be prepared as you may have to wait for the perfect puppy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The advice to take your time is the best that you can get. Get to know breeders in your area and get to know their dogs on a personal basis. A good breeder will give you advice you can get nowhere else.because of the vested interest he or she has in the puppy. Plan on puppy classes at the least. The more obedience classes you take the better you and your dog will become a team. Rely on the breeder to recommened the pup with the right temperment for you. With the right social skills skads of people going in and out all day will not phase your dobe. What you get depends on your willingness to find the right breeder and to take his/her advice. I have had a number of breeds, but dobes are my first and foremost love. Linda Riley, Wisilla, Alaska

1 - 8 of 8 Posts