Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

Hello from TN! Looking & learning for our first pup

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  omel13omel 
#1 ·
Hey there, Doberman Talk members! I have been a lurker for a long time, but have decided to finally join! To give you a background, I am a huge dog lover as is my fiance. I have two yorkies, and he has a rescued yellow lab/pug/beagle mix puppy.

When we combine households this winter, he will no longer live with his two roommates who have dogs - a Belgian Malinois who works as a K9, and a lab. His lab/pug mix pup absolutely LOVES other dogs and is devastated when either of them isn't around!

Which leads to my questions - dobies have long been a favorite breed of mine, having grown up with them. We are looking for an active dog since we're active outdoors type folks, but have some concerns about prey drive with the little dogs (who are GREAT w/ other dogs, but still) and whether or not a dobie would fit well into our little pack! All 3 are very submissive and are spayed/neutered. We just built a house in the country with plenty of fenced yard to roam, and would like a dog who is smart, agile, and active to someday accompany us on our excursions like walks, trails, running and Frisbee. We'd just like to find a line with low prey drive, or move on if you don't think a dobie would be a good fit for us at this time with the other 3 dogs. I will also add that we have a lot of time to work with our dog, as we both have schedules that afford us a lot of time off each week. I've trained Aussies and border collies in agility, and would LOVE a dobie to work with!

I have really done my homework on breeders as I know firsthand the heartbreak of BYBs - I have fostered many a GSD and dobe who were breeder castoffs :( But would still love recommendations from others! I really have my eye on the breedings Jana Dupre of Promise Dobermans has posted on her website.

See less See more
#2 ·
Greetings and welcome to the forum!

Thanks for doing your due diligence and researching breeders before getting a Dobe. Given your interests, I think you'll be happy with a pup from Jana. She has Chihuahuas so any Dobe pup raised by her will have been socialized with itty bitty ankle biters.:D

Best wishes for a successful DoberSearch!:wavey:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.