Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I woulde introduce myself. My name is Jason and I will be getting a new Dobe in October(around then at least). I am speaking with two reputable breeders and I am very excited to have a new family member. I am hopefully going to be able to get a red Dobe. I will not know until the end of August with one Breeder and the other is not breeding until the end of this year. I look forward to reading and chatting with some of you. Take Care.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I'm a new member myself and you'll find the amount of useful, practical information contained in this forum will be invaluable to you. Make frequent use of the Search function and you'll find many of your questions will already have been discussed with frequent links to other useful sites. I've got a 10 week old female who is everything I was looking for in a new family member. I hope you're as lucky as I am!

Take Care,

Mark

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
Hi Jason and welcome to the forum from - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - ->>>>>>>>>

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This will be my first Dobe and I will use the search function regularly. THanks for the replies. I am going to leave the ears natural, but what do you think of the tail. I am in a position to request to leave it or not. Opinions? I am set on the ears though.

·
Banned
675 Posts
How did you find two breeders who are willing to leave tails and ears for you? That is not common practice, especially among responsible breeders.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
The ears I have requested and they are both fine with it. The tail not so much...like I said, I am not sure about the tail anyway. Both have said that dews and tails on day 3, but obviously they are not born yet and I may have that option since I am not breeding or showing. Just a family companion. If They are not willing to kep the tail, that is absolutely fine. Both breeders are reputable and have at least 5 generations documented and available on the web. I admit I do not know alot about the bloodlines, but I will sure tell you that I have never heard so many german words when they are speaking about the dog's bloodlines. Anyway I am doing the right thing and not going with a backyard breeder(there are many in the newspaper). I may pay more for the dog, but with all of the things that can go wrong(diseases and so forth) I feel comfortable.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No one is in Kentucky and the other one is in Ohio. THe one in Ohio is the one I have been talking to the most because the litter will be born at the end of August. THe one in Ohio have all of these dogs that have won all kinds of championships(pics on the web) and so forth from previous litters. I will not disclose the name because I have no idea if that is something they would want. It was pretty impressive. That is not all that important to me though, I just thought it was very nice. I am more interested in health, which they have well documented. Thanks for the info about AKC, wasn't sure about the generation thing. See this is why I joined the forum.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Perhaps if you could share more information about these breeders with us - maybe a url to where there documents are on the web...
We see many a person come in with horror stories about what they thought were responsible breeders of their first Dobe. We certainly do not wish to pass judgement on you - but all of us here have very strong feelings about buyer education and unethical breeders.
The truth is that pretty much all responsible breeders in the US insist on cropping and docking - It can be very difficult to rehome an un-cropped dog if for some reason it doesn't work out with the original owner - and although the original owner has full intentions on keeping the uncropped dog forever, things can and do happen.
I share your love for natural ears and am disheartened by the fact that it will be difficult if not impossible to get a natural eared Dobe from a great breeder in the US - but things are as they are. When it's time for another Dobe, I'm sure there will be plenty sitting in a rescue with natural ears waiting for me...
There is a wealth of information on this site and several very knowledgable people who can point you in the right direction of truly great breeders and help you ascertain whether those you have chosen are worth your time and money.
Are the breeders you are considering members of the DPCA? Have they titled their dogs or do they compete in any activities with them? Are the dogs OFA certified for hips and elbows? What about testing vWD or holtor monitoring for DCM? These are all crutially important things to consider when deciding on the breeder for your life long companion....

·
Banned
675 Posts
I'm curious that's all. If they have websites I assume they want them seen. I'm always especially curious when someone says a breeder has healt well documented. What exactly do they have, without having to reveal their names, well documented?

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Welcome mrbigvolume, this is a great place to ask questions, I have learned a lot on Dobe forums.

Since this is your first Dobe, get ready for a fun filled and busy life, they are usually full throddle and very lovable. They are usually velcro dogs who thrive on attention and are definitely different than any breed I have owned.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I'm in Ohio and would be happy to share info with you if it's someone I know. Gotta say, though, I don't know of anybody reputable in the state that would be willing to leave the ears natural.

mrbigvolume said:
No one is in Kentucky and the other one is in Ohio. THe one in Ohio is the one I have been talking to the most because the litter will be born at the end of August. THe one in Ohio have all of these dogs that have won all kinds of championships(pics on the web) and so forth from previous litters. I will not disclose the name because I have no idea if that is something they would want. It was pretty impressive. That is not all that important to me though, I just thought it was very nice. I am more interested in health, which they have well documented. Thanks for the info about AKC, wasn't sure about the generation thing. See this is why I joined the forum.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
thats a good idea blackdog I hope you or mrbigvolume contact each other.
and back to the welcome lol :)
lets perhaps take any breeder questions or websites to the "breeders" catergory :)
mrbigvolume, I know your new to the forum but like tracyjo said we just want to ensure that you get your dobe from the best you can and support the right breeders:) things are tricky out their when you don't know much about the show and breeder world. I was hesitant about talking about Duchess's breeder b.c I didnt know if that was the proper dog etiquette... but in all fairness they should have nothing to hide and be open to questions...especially if they have a website...Plus I can see how its very easy for a breeder to convice the average person that they are great...It is hard to judge...sometimes it just seems like when they say they have papers...health testing...champions...working dog...great temperment...etc...it may not seem like they are speaking in "general" terms to someone like you and me they can and might be....

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Blackdog said:
I'm in Ohio and would be happy to share info with you if it's someone I know. Gotta say, though, I don't know of anybody reputable in the state that would be willing to leave the ears natural.

First off welcome to Doberman Talk, secondly, I'd take Blackdog up on this offer, if you feel more comfortable you can PM rather than post openly, although I agree with the line of thinking that if these breeders post their lines and such, it is pretty public information. But if you'd rather for your own reasons keep it discreet, I for one will vouch for BD 100% in being able to offer you valuable and dicreet advice and information.

Best wishes on your search.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts